back to article Verizon points more fingers at Netflix: It's YOUR pals slowing data

Verizon and Netflix are having another go-round in their ongoing war over network access for streaming video. In a report posted to its Public Policy Blog, Verizon vice-president of federal regulatory affairs David Young said claims that it deliberately throttles Netflix traffic are untrue and that any traffic bottlenecks were …

1. BryceP

Before September 2012 I had U-Verse and Fios at two different properties in Texas. Never had an issue with either except when Netflix's regional CDN would bottleneck, at which point I just forced a switch to another one using the old DNS trick. This was before Netflix's open connect initiative.

Starting in September 2012 I relocated to Washington and Comcast became my provider at two different properties. Despite offering the highest broadband speeds I had the absolute worst buffering and quality issues imaginable.

After the Comcast/Netflix deal my streaming quality immediately went back to the same state it was in prior to relocating. That is, it went back to the same quality as when I was using U-Verse/Fios.

Maybe I was just lucky with AT&T and Verizon, or maybe they started throttling after I stopped using their service. It's just slightly suspect that the Comcast deal miraculously restored service and immediately after AT&T and Verizon were in talks with similar deals... despite insisting that the issue isn't with the end user ISP.

That's some pretty incredible doublespeak at work.

1. Fatman

RE: Verizon pointing fingers...

That's some pretty incredible double bullshitspeak at work.

FTFY!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, Verizon says that all they are responsible for is the "outbound" portion of the link going to a peer and that the traffic should be symmetric for it to be fair to both Verizon and their peer. So if the outbound is only say 50% utilized for Verizon, they are happy with it. Their peer is also only responsible for their "outbound" (Verizon's inbound) and if that is running at 100%, then that is not Verizons problem at all, but their peer. There are a few issues there:

1) It is the Verizon customer requesting the data, so technically Verizon should be responsible for the inbound portion if not both inbound and outbound.

2) Most consumer broadband connections are asymmetric, where the consumer has more download speed than upload speed. So, if Verizon is only responsible for the outbound portion of the peering links, and there is at least a 10:1 if not 25:1 or 50:1 difference, then there will always be more inbound traffic on the peering links to Verizon as that is the direction of the most traffic.

The broadband customer is not getting what they paid Verizon to provide.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That looks like an impossible request.

Say Netflix chose to run their entire estate off a broadband connection in Zimbabwe.

By the logic I think you're using Verizon (or any other global provider) would be responsible not just for ensuring that their own network was congestion free but that every hop including the ADSL in Zimbabwe was congestion free.

I have no idea if Verizon's claim is true but if it is then it looks like Netflix' prior claims were extremely disengenuous.

1. Al Jones

Netflix isn't delivering their service over an ADSL connection in Zimbabwe - the congestion isn't occurring at the Netflix servers, it's occurring at the gateways where Verizon connects to the rest of the internet.

Verizon customers aren't paying Verizon $50/month to access Verizon's webmail servers, they're paying to get access to, and download content on Netflix, Youtube, Facebook and other 3rd party content, and they are typically consuming far, far more content/bandwidth than they are sending out.

(On a side note, Verizon's own website for paying my FiOS bill only is unquestionably the slowest, clunkiest website that I have to deal with on a regular basis - it's not hard for me to believe that Verizon are simply not capable of running an ISP efficently).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But the slow links cause the customers of the ISP the issue and the customers are paying their ISP. Your logic is flawed because the congestion would be on the Internet access point, which is not the case with Netflix. The congestion is the link from the peer that Verizon is connecting too. You need to keep in mind that it is Verizon customers requesting that data, don't you think that Verizon should do more to give their customers what they paid for? On the consumer aspect, they will always consume more download data than they upload, so with Verizon saying that they are only responsible for upload portion (which is the least), what are Verizon customers paying for then?

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Does anyone believe a word Verizon says? I trust them about as far as I can throw an Abrams tank.

Where's the "lying sack of shit" icon?

1. Only me!

over the pond

We have BT who took over £1.2bn from the government to deliver fast broadband to the masses.......now even the gov is wondering if it was a good idea due to over pricing and lack of delivery!

4. James 100

All agreed what the problem is...

Really, Netflix and Verizon are in complete agreement that the bottleneck is the bit shown in red - the question is, which of them is preventing that link being upgraded to handle more traffic?

Somewhere behind the scenes, there will have been a communication between Verizon and Netflix's transit provider (Level3?) along these lines: "Hey, this gigabit link between this port of ours and that port of yours is getting busy, can we (plug in a second gigabit|replace it with a ten-gigabit one?" (Probably with higher bandwidths and/or more links than that, but the idea is the same.)

It seems Verizon said something like "we'll charge you $x for upgrading that link", and whatever $x was, the other party thought was too much. Verizon are trying to justify that by saying "ah, but there's 3 times as much traffic coming to us as going out, so we won't do it for free like we would if the traffic were 50-50".

Apart from the 3:1 peak-time traffic ratio, though, the diagram adds nothing to the debate: we all knew it was the transit link between Verizon and Netflix's upstream provider that was the bottleneck, and that one or other end of that link was refusing to upgrade - we just don't know the details of why yet.

1. Down not across

Re: All agreed what the problem is...

It seems Verizon said something like "we'll charge you $x for upgrading that link", and whatever $x was, the other party thought was too much. Verizon are trying to justify that by saying "ah, but there's 3 times as much traffic coming to us as going out, so we won't do it for free like we would if the traffic were 50-50".

Where did anybody say that? The slowdown was outside Verizon network. The red bar on the diagram (since both Verizon and Netflix seem to agree on that diagram) is transit provider chosen by Netflix. So how do yo come up with that being Verizon's rather than Netflix's fault? I'm not saying it can't be, but seems jumping to a conclusion. The diagram on its own would suggest that Netflix needs to talk to its transit provider and get more capacity on that link.

1. Fatman

The diagram on its own would suggest that Netflix needs to talk to its transit provider and get more capacity on that link.

WRONG!!!

Take a second look at that diagram.

You have:

Netflix transit provider's outbound port ----> interconnect -----> Verizon's inbound port

and conversely:

Verizon's outbound port ----> interconnect ----> Netflix's transit provider's inbound port

Everyone seems to agree that there is a problem with the first traffic flow; but the question begs:

EXACTLY where is the bottleneck?

Is it at Netflix's transit provider's OUTBOUND PORT?

Is it in the interconnect itself?

Or is it at Verizon's INBOUND PORT.

An example that may help you 'get this'

You have a desktop PC with a gigabit LAN card; but you are stuck in an old building that has only Cat 3 cable, and you connect to a slower Fast ethernet (100Mbs) switch.

You would EXPECT to get 1 gigabit performance because you have a gigabit card, but you won't? Care to guess why, and determine what is causing the rate to be limited??? If you guess that you are stuck at 10Mb because of the old Cat 3 cable you may very well be right; but in NO WAY will you get a gigabit because of the Fast ethernet switch.

The question remains: "WHO has the bottleneck"? You have infrastructure from potentially 3 different companies, with 3 different investment priorities, someone needs to 'step up'.

1. Down not across

WRONG!!!

Take a second look at that diagram.

You have:

Netflix transit provider's outbound port ----> interconnect -----> Verizon's inbound port

and conversely:

Verizon's outbound port ----> interconnect ----> Netflix's transit provider's inbound port

Everyone seems to agree that there is a problem with the first traffic flow; but the question begs:

EXACTLY where is the bottleneck?

Is it at Netflix's transit provider's OUTBOUND PORT?

Is it in the interconnect itself?

Or is it at Verizon's INBOUND PORT.

I'm not blind. That diagram does not contain enough information to tell EXACTLY where the bottleneck is. All I was saying (and yes I should've been more clear on that) was that the diagram doesn't firmly say the issue is with Verizon, as it is just as likely to be Netflix's provider.

I did make the wild assumption that the coloured arrows are part of Netflix's chosen provider (since all Verizon infrastructure is in the shaded box "Verizon IP Network"). Based on that it seems highly likely that the issue it outside Verizon's control. And no that does not rule out possibility that the Verizon endpoint is not capable of sufficient bandwith for the link but that seems rather unlikely.

An example that may help you 'get this'

You have a desktop PC with a gigabit LAN card; but you are stuck in an old building that has only Cat 3 cable, and you connect to a slower Fast ethernet (100Mbs) switch.

You would EXPECT to get 1 gigabit performance because you have a gigabit card, but you won't? Care to guess why, and determine what is causing the rate to be limited??? If you guess that you are stuck at 10Mb because of the old Cat 3 cable you may very well be right; but in NO WAY will you get a gigabit because of the Fast ethernet switch.

Yeah 'I get this' that you're making assumptions on my knowledge of networking. Look laddie, don't try to teach your grandma to suck eggs. Mkay?

The question remains: "WHO has the bottleneck"? You have infrastructure from potentially 3

different companies, with 3 different investment priorities, someone needs to 'step up'.

That is valid assertion. I did at no point mean to infer that would not be the case. I was merely pointing out that there were number of comments "X needs to spend money on its network" without any real knowledge if the issue is with X's or Y's (or indeed possibly Z's if there is another carrier involved between the two parties) network.

5. ukgnome
    Trollface

This is simple plumbing....

poor water pressure but massive drains for effluent.

I guess Verizon totally enjoy taking the shit and leaving their customers unwashed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Internet providers should never complain about those providing content to their customers if it is exactly what their customers want. The problem here seems to be that Verizon is announcing it doesn't have the money to increase bandwidth on its network.

7. John Tserkezis

I think this situation is similar to our mains grid supply situation. We're using more and more power, and most of it during the day. To "fix" this, they have to put in more power stations that only get used during the day, meaning not only is it going to be expensive, the power generation people don't want a bar of it because it'll take eons for them to make their money. Enter "smart" meters that "shape" power usage by outright penalising users who consume power during the day, and rewarding them during the night. Since few normal sane human are going to use their TVs, kettles, ovens, stovetops, washing machines and aircons during off-peak periods (at least here in Australia) that's all bust and the users end up properly screwed.

There is only one certain here, the end user is going to get a lesser service, get screwed in the wallet, and everyone is going to blame everyone else.

8. PeterGriffin

Apply occam's razor

Netflix works well on most providers but suffers buffering on Verizon and Verizon claim Netflix has poor peering arrangements which affect only Verizon...

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

True in a sense

What Verizon says is true in a sense -- from what I've gathered of this situation, Netflix's slowdowns are not happening within Verizon's network, and Verizon is not throttling the traffic.

However, Netflix has plenty of connectivity to these peering points, and are paying for every last bit of it (I have to mention this because US ISP propaganda now is to claim Netflix et. al are getting a "free ride" or "not paying their share"). It is Verizon letting their connection to these peering points hit 100% capacity and failing to upgrade it. They think (even though Netflix is already paying for adequate connectivity to peering points) that they should be able to double-dip and demand that Netflix pay a second time to pay Verizon to upgrade their connection, rather than Verizon allocating some of those numerous profits they make from their own paying customers to maintain the connectivity the customers are paying for.

I mean, I wouldn't get away running an ISP with a 10gbps fiber backbone and some 1.5mbps DSL links to the internet at large, then go around demanding Google, Amazon, etc. all pay me to upgrade the 1.5mbps DSL lines, would I? This is *exactly* what AT&T, Verizon, etc. are expecting to happen; charging customers for internet connectivity, but pocketing that as profit and expecting third parties pay for the internet connectivity instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like