back to article No more sprawl: Let us consider the benefits of blade servers

Register now for this webcast on the role of blade systems in simplifying data centre administration. Watch the event live on 29 July at 11:00 BST - if you can't make it on the day just sign up and we will email you when the recording is ready. Blade servers can help you establish control over sprawl while simplifying the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ryanp

Really? Glad you have this webcast to cover these new blade thingies.

2. phuzz Silver badge
    Facepalm

Can you ask them how, if you have half empty enclosure, with four power supplies, removing just one PSU will cause the whole enclosure to reboot?

Because my boss would like to know how I took out four important servers by unplugging just one power cable.

1. Phil W

Assuming you have a HP c-Class enclosure....

I'm guessing you have your power configuration wrong in general you have 3 choices between AC redundant, Power Supply redundant and no redundancy.

Have a close look in your Onboard Administrator web interface under Power and Thermal -> Power Management for what is most suitable based on your power usage in Power and Thermal -> Power Meter.

Also check the model numbers of all your power supplies. I've seen an issue in a c-Class enclosure with 4 power supplies, 2 of one model number and 2 of another, where in certain combinations the power meter would display the current usage as something ridiculous like 14MW, though still showing the power limit at the normal level.

Of course as always, make sure both your OA firmwares and your blade iLO firmwares are fully up to date.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: phuzz

"Can you ask them how, if you have half empty enclosure, with four power supplies, removing just one PSU will cause the whole enclosure to reboot?..." Because you don't know how to configure the power in the OA? If you only have four PSUs and yet have eight blades I would suggest you check you don't have the power redundancy set as n+n. There used to be an online power calculator configuration checker thingummy on the hp website for such questions.

"....,Because my boss would like to know how I took out four important servers by unplugging just one power cable." Because he didn't buy enough PSUs? I'd also check how many fans you have, whether you actually have enough in the chassis, as he probably bought the base chassis with four PSUs and four fans and has been adding blades without adding fans and/or PSUs.

1. Phil W

Re: phuzz

Dont assume he has 8 blades, it could be a c3000 compact enclosure or similar which only takes 8 blades total and 6 PSUs. That will quite happily run 4 or 5 blades on 4 power supplies in 2+2 mode.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Low cost and blade in the same sentence - really?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed... Its such a shame though. Blades should have been the next evolution of the rack, if only they standardised them! I brought an IBM Blade Chassis in 2006, it was a Data Center in a 7u box with 6 Servers, SAN, 2 Load Balancer, 2 GbE switches, 4 power supplies, and the only connectivity it require was 2 uplink network cables and the power cables..

Roll on 2012 and an infrastructure refresh, I replaced the chassis with 6 pizza boxes, 4 switches, 2 Load Balancer, Firewalls and SAN, requiring approx 50+ Cat6 Cables, 10 ethernet cables, 22 power cables, 12 Fibre channel cables... shit, just the SAN alone is the size of the Blade Chassis (EMC VNX 5300, taking up 7U)...

/me crying!

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Meh

Meh.

Articles on vendor kit done as an independent investigation - good.

Articles on different vendors' kit in comparative shootout - even better!

Vendor paid-for session a bit too much like a presales meeting - meh, TBH.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For how long, really and truthfully, do HP keep a stock of blade components

For how long, really and truthfully, do HP keep a stock of blade midplanes and can customers subscribe to an up-to-date feed of stock held related to their supported hardware?

It is not fun when the 4 hour part replacement turns into weeks to source a proprietary midplane.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like