back to article In space no one can hear you scream, but Voyager 1 can hear A ROAR

Hero space probe Voyager 1 has sent home what NASA is calling a “sound” from the cosmos. The venerable spacecraft – now 19,093,090,914km from Earth at the time of writing and moving further away at a rate of about 15km a second – recorded the “noise” in March. That was when a pressure wave caused by a coronal mass from the Sun …

1. Steven Roper

"Then ask yourself if you own anything that old that's still working, never mind contactable after travelling more than 17 light hours through the radiation-wracked nastiness of space."

I still have my old Casio FX series pocket calculator from school from that era, sitting on my desk near the mouse. Still works too, after more than 3 decades. They certainly don't build them like they used to.

And while it hasn't endured the harsh conditions of radiation and space travel that Voyager has, it has endured the harsh conditions of my rotting-uneaten-lunch-and-leaky-cordial-bottle-toting schoolbag back then, and the coffee-and-Coke-spilled peril of my desk ever since - outlasting a few dozen keyboards in the process!

1. Irony Deficient

after travelling more than 17 light hours through the radiation-wracked nastiness of space

Steven, I figure that 19,093,090,914 km is a bit shy of 20⅓ Earth orbits through the radiation-wracked nastiness of the heliosphere, so your Casio FX calcluator (as well as a number of old, working items at Deficient House) has travelled more than Voyager 1.

1. Steven Roper

@ Irony Deficient

Ah, I see you're a fellow xkcd reader as well!

Still not a patch on the 250-light-year trek those Ethiopian stone tools have made though...

1. Irony Deficient

well-travelled Ethiopian stone tools

Steven, thanks for the link. No, I’m not a xkcd reader; I guess that I’m still a creature of the 20th century in preferring comics on paper.

2. Christian Berger

Well the Japanese were good at doing so. I have a Japanese VCR from the mid 1970s which still works, except for one rubber part which needs to be replaced.

3. Nigel 11

My TV.

My Philips TV.

True, it's merely sitting in my lounge. On the other hand it's sitting in a moist oxidizing atmosphere being shaken up and down by vehicles speeding over the speed-bump outside, rather than coasting in a vacuum - hardly an improvement. It's particularly impressive given that old vacuum display tube technology involves twenty-five kilovolts of EHT. Were that ever to spark somewhere it shouldn't, that would be curtains.

I keep telling myself not to be sentimental, but it's no good ... throwing away something that well engineered would be criminal.

4. Stevie

re: I still have my old Casio FX

Me too.

Over the weekend I was noodling around in my basement o' crap and turned up my pristine condition Casio VL-Tone calculator (aka VL-1).

That's the one that launched the Casio line of keyboards on the world, the one heard playing the hook on "Dare" (though I had to check to make sure my ears and brain weren't playing tricks when I heard it the first time).

I picked it up on a whim while working a contract for Sperry Vickers in Emsworth in '82.

1. ian 22

Re: re: I still have my old Casio FX

I still have my Pickett log-log slide rule from the mid-1960s. Still works, although the lubricant needs replenishing.

They don't build'em like that anymore. In fact, they don't build'em at all!

1. Irony Deficient

the joys of log log

ian 22, ain’t that the truth! (Mine is an early 1950s K&E log log duplex decitrig.)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

I don't blame NASA for making do...

the call-out fee for repair would be astronomical.

1. Fluffy Bunny
      Paris Hilton

Re: I don't blame NASA for making do...

"would be astronomical"... that was a very bad pun, wasn't it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dealt it.

Dense cloud detected 19,093,090,914 km away?

Yeah sorry about that, it's dried fruit that does it.

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

What is causing the increase in fuel consumption? I can't get to the report site at the moment to see if it says. I'm curious why a craft that is on an outward trajectory would need to expend fuel. I suppose it would be required to orient the antenna but given the distance I'm surprised it needs much orientation to keep it pointed at that slightly brighter but fading dot in the distance.

Anyway, thumbs up to both Voyagers and especially to NASA engineers.

1. Nigel 11

It needs to keep its antenna pointed at Earth. Interstellar space is not a perfect vacuum, and there's doubtless a torque created by passing through that medium at high relative speed.

6. hammarbtyp

Are we there yet?

"Will the Voyagers make it?"

Wrong question. They will make it, but will we be able to know when they get there?

1. Down not across

Re: Are we there yet?

They will make it, but will we be able to know when they get there?

That is what I was thinking. Communications must get somewhat difficult.

On another note, just have to take care of our whales for when V'ger gets back.

1. kryptonaut
        Stop

On another note, just have to take care of our whales for when V'ger gets back.

They are not the hell your whales.

2. Shrimpling
      Coat

I don't think they will make it out of the solar system.when it is going to take the Voyagers another 1300 years to reach the Oort cloud and 30000 years until they have crossed it.

I think somebody/something from Earth will catch up to them in a thousand years or so and bring them home to get the last Buddy Holly record in existence.

I'm sure their kids will love it.

3. Nigel 11

Do we know where "there" is?

The Voyagers will evaporate, eventually. Probably long before they again come within 1AU of another star, and long after the human race is run.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big deal

I'm from the early sixties, and I still operate. It's the self-repair stuff that does the trick.

1. Nigel 11

Re: Big deal

It's the self-repair stuff that does the trick.

Sadly that's not likely to be as good for the next 50 years as it was for the previous 50! (Unless you're a tree or a koi carp).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems to me some of the 60's sci fi shows were pretty realistic in their predictions of what space would sound like!

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

In the best spirit of human endeavour

Absolutely awesome the way these craft keep performing. I watched their launch on TV when I was at school, and followed their travels past the planets (mainly through National Geographic magazine, no internet in those days). Amazing that they are still operational, despite Voyager 2 not responding to many commands. Slightly odd that; bit late for puberty, bit early for age-related deafness, and it couldn't have sneaked a walkman on board, because that came out well after its launch.

Still, big thumbs up to all who worked and still work on this project

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was made in 1977 and am still working... Granted, i'm not 17 light hours away, but I am 17 airplane hours away from Australia and was contacted from oz last week. I even respond to commands, although somewhat erratically.

And while I've not been showered by nasty radiation, I've certainly been showered by all sorts of unpleasant things ...

1. Vic
      Joke

> I've certainly been showered by all sorts of unpleasant things ...

Please keep that sort of thing to yourself...

Vic.

2. teebie

I was made shortly before 1977, and I also often fail to receive commands.

11. Strange Fruit

"That won't happen until it passes the last of the comets influenced by Sol's gravity. "

Umm.. Surely everything in the universe is influenced by Sol's gravity. It's in the nature of the beast. By that measure it'll never leave.

1. Gazman
      Joke

Re: "That won't happen until it passes the last of the comets influenced by Sol's gravity. "

But can it check in any time it likes?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The stars are alive

With the sound of spaaaace!

AC, obviously...

13. Ed 13
    Thumb Up

Fantastic

I'm always impressed with the Voyager craft. They have done such fantastic work, and produced such useful science.

I do have stuff that's older and still working, but they all require regular TLC. On the other hand they only cost a few tens or hundreds of pounds, rather than the many millions that the voyagers cost.

14. oblivion

Doesn't Voyager use a tape drive?

..for data storage? That the electronics and everything else can survive this long is remarkable, but a tape drive from 1977 that's still working is simply amazing!

1. EssEll

Re: Doesn't Voyager use a tape drive?

In my experience a tape drive that works from yesterday is fucking amazing.

15. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Increase in fuel consumption

For AndrueC,

it looks like LECP and MAGROL expriments suck a load of fuel - presumably for orientation and stabilisation purposes. That's probably why they only do them intermittently.

The real question is whether the fuel is actually used to power the Bic biro auto-wind robot for the data tape ...

1. AndrueC Silver badge

Re: Increase in fuel consumption

Thanks for that :)

16. Tonsils

Riding the mobious strip of the space time continuum

How cool would it be if Voyager 1 was spotted approaching Earth from the other direction - that would put the big bang theory to ruin.

17. Stevie

Bah!

Was I the only one who heard Captain Sulu say "Shields! SHIELDS!" as I read?

18. Beachrider

Escaping the Sun's gravity effects..

The Oort Cloud is generally accepted as being 'under the control of the Sun's gravity'. It goes out to 1 light-year. It will take tens of thousands of years for Voyager to get that far!

19. Hollerith 1

Not bad

For a small, pretty hairless, bipedal ape, not bad. First we covered Africa, then we ventured into the neighbouring contents, up rivers and along the ocean shores, crossed the Bering Strait and followed the new continents down to where the cold began again. We reached to north and south poles of our own world, our highest mountains, rose into the air, spread our eyes and ears beyond our planet, walked the moon, and now we drive our tools across Mars and hear the noise of interstellar space from our own creations. Not bad, homo sapiens, not bad.

20. StephenH

"now 19,093,090,914km from Earth at the time of writing and moving further away at a rate of about 15km a second"

If that is true I am impressed with writers ability to time his typing the the nearest .07 of a second being the time that the craft takes to travel a km.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blast: pre-pedanted!

It's also a bit weird to quote the distance travelled to 11 significant figures and yet the velocity to "about" 15kms-1.

"About 19 beeelion klicks at 15 per second" would be so much more descriptive. Perhaps el-Journo got a no-op or NaaN when fettling with the experimental Wales per sec or Jubs per hour units.

Cheers

Jon

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Partialy Deaf

I was thinking I couldn't manage a 17 hour car drive with my bratz. So 17 light hours is pretty good.

Then came all the 'Are we there yet?' comments :-D

Voyagers are impressive

22. voltscommissar

The "ROAR" is only 0.0015 Hertz

I'm very happy to work to two significant figures (max.) for this little exercise. The data segment spans about 7 months and is compressed into 11 seconds, effectively speeding up time by a factor of about 1.7x10^6. So the story rightly says "sounds" for the reported Y-axis parameter showing about 2.5 kHz. The actual frequency is of course not even a subsonic rumble to any real microphone out at the heliopause, because 2.5 kHz slowed down by a factor of 1.7 million is only 0.0015Hz - one cycle every 11min 9sec.

My nit pick is that the Y-axis should have pitched the second louder sound at "0.0015 Hz", explaining that we hear it in the human audio range now only because the raw data signal has been sped up enormously. HTH ;-)

1. voltscommissar

Re: The "ROAR" is only 0.0015 Hertz

Note that the X-axis span is 7 months, not 11 seconds, so the frequency on Y-axis should be .0015 Hz for consistency, not 2.5kHz. Following the "watch in YouTube" link has associated text (by NASA) that seems to be the source of the confusion. OTOH, maybe it's just me....

23. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Facepalm

Flash! Ahhh!

Did the need for a Flash plugin come from Voyager too? I thought Voyager was much older than that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like