back to article HGST's tiny whopper: Just 2.5 inches, but we've packed in 1.8TB

HGST has gone and increased its 1.2TB Ultrastar drive’s capacity to 1.8TB, making it the highest capacity 2.5-inch drive available. The Ultrastar C10K1800 spins at 10,520rpm and has a 12Gbit/s SAS interface (the C10K1200 model had a slower 6Gbit/s one). HGST says the new drive writes random data 2.5 times quicker than the old …

1. Nate Amsden

almost the biggest

HP of course has a 1.9TB 2.5" SSD on 3PAR (technically 1.6TB from the factory I suppose but 1.9TB usable by the customer due to adaptive sparing before any data reduction functions).

http://www.sandisk.com/assets/docs/how-to-order-hp-enterprise-sas-solid-state-drives-ssds.pdf.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: almost the biggest

It's sexy looking. Of course, to afford one you have to grind up a utopia's worth of unicorns and virgins then lay it all out in a line for your HP sales rep to snort.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

True

It's true that I've ramped up seriously in the SSD's and large capacity spinners but I do see a role for these. High speed sequential. Now about the price ... ;-).

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Am I the only one...

...who would like to see what they could build in a 5.25" full height device using modern technologies? Or even half height, for ease of fitting to modern cases?

OK, it'd be slow, but for things like bulk video storage it would be hard to beat.

GJC

1. seven of five

Re: Am I the only one...

These woud be too big for their own good, rebuild time is far too long already.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: Am I the only one...

I wasn't thinking of using them in arrays, just as a simple standalone bulk storage to replace things like mid-range NAS boxes. My Thecus currently has 16TB usable space, you could easily get 2-3 times that on a single 5.25" half height device using modern platters and control mechanisms.

GJC

4. Detective Emil

Toshiba MQ01ABB200: 2TB 2.5"

Consumers can can get a 2TB 2.5" drive. Admittedly, it's only a 5400rpm SATA device, and an inconvenient 15mm thick, but I'd say that it deserves the accolade of being "the highest capacity 2.5-inch drive available".

1. Jamie Kitson

Re: Toshiba MQ01ABB200: 2TB 2.5"

Ditto Western Digital's WD20NPVX.

2. Ant Evans

Why is there no 2.5" SATA enterprise drive? 3.5" is so 1994.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Savvio? Constellation.2?

1. Ant Evans

Nice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like