back to article Siri, did we just take a hit in that voice-recog patent fight?

Apple has lost the first stage of a patent infringement battle in China over its voice-controlled assistant Siri – after a Beijing court ruled a speech-recognition patent held by the Chinese firm that launched the lawsuit is valid. The iPhone maker was arguing with both Shanghai-based Zhizhen Network Technology and the State …

1. Tom 7

Siri is having a little difficulty

understanding my snorking and guffawing just now.

2. KjetilS

Apple was arguing that the patent was invalid for a number of reasons, including the novelty of the claim and lack of necessary technical features.

Isn't that a bit like the pot calling the kettle black?

1. DryBones
      Trollface

Well done that man.

My thoughts almost exactly. .oO(Pot, meet kettle. He'll probably get you steamed.)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lot of potatoes in this story, no meat.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple created Siri? The product name maybe, but it's well known in the IVR industry that the software is licensed from a third party.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple purchased them, so they now own the patents - and the liability if others' patents are violated by it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apple purchased them

Nope, they licensed the technology. Talk is that Samsung and several Chinese firms are vying to buy them, which could prove interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Source?

I just double checked, and multiple sources show Apple buying Siri the company, not just licensing the technology. Perhaps you're thinking of something else like Liquid Metal that Apple has only licensed?

5. ForthIsNotDead
    WTF?

Irony overload...

"Apple was arguing that the patent was invalid for a number of reasons, including the novelty of the claim and lack of necessary technical features."

Hello? Cough. Rectangles. Cough. Rounded corners. Cough.

1. John Bailey

Re: Irony overload...

Don't worry..

Someone will be along to explain to us how it's actually a FRAND patent, and Apple would license it if they were being given a fair price..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Hello? Cough. Rectangles. Cough. Rounded corners. Cough.

There's a difference between design patents and utility patents that you clearly aren't aware of.

1. John Tserkezis

"There's a difference between design patents and utility patents that you clearly aren't aware of."

Yes, the Utility Patents have hexagonal corners, not round like Design Patents...

6. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Ow, clump, OW clump, OUCH, clump....

That is the sound of the boot being on the other foot.

7. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

What was it that Lance Corporal Jones used to say?

"They don't like it up'em Captain Mainwaring sir."

Indeed it appears that Cupertino (judging by their own choice of words in response, a choice that indicates strongly that they know that they are on a sticky wicket) does not "like it up'em". Words like "hoist upon ones own petard come to mind".

8. jellypappa
    Pirate

apple caught with their fingers in the patent jar

1 apple do not steal patents or ideas

2 apple do not steal patents or ideas

3 what the fuck, apple DO steal patents and ideas

9. Financegozu
    Joke

A Chinese court deciding that a Chinese IP is valid?

Color me shocked, but what would you expect from a country where respect for others IP is deeple engrained into their culture

/s

10. Vector
    Facepalm

I went searching for more information on Zhizhen ...

...and Google asked if I meant 指针.

I dunno. Did I?

11. present_arms

指针 seems to mean Pointer

12. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

Hoist, Petard...

See title

13. The Empress

Apple discovered they don't own all the courts

There's still a few they haven't bought

14. heyrick Silver badge

"Unfortunately, we were not aware of Zhizhen's patent before..."

Since when has that ever been an excuse acceptable by the trolls?

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "Unfortunately, we were not aware of Zhizhen's patent before..."

"Unfortunately, we were not aware of Apple's patenting a rounded rectangle before..."

Shoe, foot, etc.

15. mhenriday
    Boffin

That's the problem with a rising power -

the Chinese court was obviously and embarrassingly unaware of the fact that in international jurisprudence, there are two types of patents : those held by Apple and the others. Only the first are valid....

Henri

16. bex

Patents on censeptual things are just dumb

It nice to see litigious Apple take an hit on this but like most patents like this have prior art. Voice recognition has been a staple of SF for as long as I have been around and longer.

You should not be able to patent solutions to problems anyone with a bit of thought (slide to unlock) could have come up with.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

reacher

Vlingo founder Michael Phillips (a victim of trollish patent litigation which consumed his company just as Apple was courting a partnership with Vlingo for its voice recognition invention for use in SIri) must be giggling into his sleeve over this. Apple summarily dumped Vlingo and left it to founder in the patent troll storms, choosing to align with the trolls that so efficiently sunk it.

What goes around comes around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like