back to article Down-with-the-kidz Apple stuffs up with wild 'funness' claims

Apple appears to have made a shocking admission: that one of its endlessly upgraded product lines is boring. On its website, Apple said its new iPod Touch was "engineered for funness", a sarcastic term used by the yoof – generally as an adjective and/or an abstract noun... A Reg reader pointed out the fruity faux pas and …

1. John P

funness?

Will someone please tell the yoof to stop making up stupid words?

1. Return To Sender
      Happy

Stop making up stupid words?

And if they can stop 'em doing that, they could go on to make water run uphill, the sun come out at night and make a politician do something genuinely useful with no self-interest.

I'm not going to even *try* to inject street-smart comments here. The whole point of 'yoof-speak' is to be incomprehensible to anybody out of their teens, and I'm so far past that point I can't see it with a big telescope.

1. proud2bgrumpy

Re: Stop making up stupid words?

...and the side-benefit is that post-yoofs can't get drawn into the tedium of yoof-culture (largely limited to 'hair products & extensions', 'profoundmeaningless tattoo slogans', vajazzles).

That said, Shakespeare invented loads of words as well...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No.

All words were made up by someone to start with. If they're any use, they survive; if not, they get forgotten. Complaining that this is how language works is just curmudgeonly.

1. Fluffy Bunny
        Angel

Re: No.

Except in French, where they have banned new words. This now obsolete language should soon dissapear from the face of the planet.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Then, brothers, it came. Oh, bliss, bliss and heaven. I lay all nagoy to the ceiling, my gulliver on my rookers on the pillow, glazzies closed, rot open in bliss, slooshying the sluice of lovely sounds. Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh.”

4. Jim 59

Yeah. None of us wants to be reminded of the stupid made-up words of our own yoof.

2. MonkeyScrabble

As an aside

"According to this profile of Apple under Cook in the Wall Street Journal, it seems the fruity firm has lost the "laser focus" it maintained under Steve Jobs."

Really? I thought they were still price gouging like a demon...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slow news day, or are you just bored Jasper?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple appears .... A Reg reader pointed out .... It suggested ... According to .... According to.... : zero (f)actual journalism.

All that is missing is a mention of a blog with a badly translated post from another (chinese) blogger with a baseless rumour.

Classical Jasper... almost like an Eadon pointed to another direction.

4. Stretch

scumness.

5. Stevie

Bah!

I get my hot water from a gas-fired funness.

6. Fibbles

I didn't think I'd end up feeling old in my twenties but I've never heard anyone use this word and it makes me cringe reading it...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the irritation scale I'd say this was a mere pinprick compared to the horror that is "wellness".

1. Fluffy Bunny
      Angel

Try "Goodness" as a substitute for good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like