back to article MP3 players hit by patent infringement suit

The world's major MP3 player manufacturers have been sued in a patent infringement case by a company that began the case the day after it acquired the patent. Apple, Samsung and SanDisk have been sued by Texas MP3 Technologies which bought the US patent from two Korean inventors. The patent was originally lodged in 1997, was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cnor

patentability

If I look at the WO and EP equivalent I always wonder why the US patent system is so stupid. Everything is granted. No search for novelty whatso ever. If you read the opinion of the European Patent office, these guys will have a hard time getting it granted in Europe.

Look at this document:

http://www.epoline.org/portal/PA_1_0_FS/DocumentViewer?RLANG=en&RACTION=LOAD&RAPPNO=06007392.1&RCOUNTRY=EP&RIID=ANONYMOUS&RROLE=PUBLIC&RORGNAME=EPOPORTAL&RDOCPAGENO=FIRST&RDOCTITLE=Opinion+relating+to+the+European+Search+Report&RDOCPAGECOUNT=5&RDOCTYPE=PDF&RDOCNO=EKVAFF657966FI4&NPL=false

I see at least 5 references to article 54(1) which says: "this is not new!!!"

The only people getting rich of this type of behaviour are the laywers.

2. Julian Stokes

It's hard not to laugh

So, the guys behind OGG Vorbis have been warning about this for years. A timely reminder of why OSS must be supported

Why haven't people been using patent unencumbered OGG all along? AFAIK sound quality is as good if not better.

3. Tim Bates

Oh dear...

Can't help but think this is very sad... Can't make money doing something new, so they look for patents they could sue about. Sad losers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like