back to article Intel told to PUT A SOC IN IT: Fill our kit with chips, says Panasonic

Intel has notched up another customer for its fledgling Foundry business as it tries to make money out of its manufacturing and engineering expertise besides x86 processor sales. The world's most valuable chip manufacturer said on Monday that Panasonic's audio-visual gear will make future system-on-chips (SoCs) in Intel's …

1. Charles Manning

Can't beat them, join them

I've said this before and I'll say this again.

Labouring youself with x86 is like trying to race dragging a trailer behind you. The only way Intel have stayed halfway competitive with their mobile Atoms is by being streets ahead in process.

If Intel were to dump x86 and make mobile chips on a level playing field (ie. ARM) they'd be ahead of everyone else by a long way.

Except of course that Intel will struggle to make money. Their whole corporate culture is geared to high margin products (x86s that sell for $hundreds). The biggest challenge for Intel is adapting to the market where quad-core ARM socs cost less then $10.

1. John 156

Re: Can't beat them, join them

"Except of course that Intel will struggle to make money [switching to ARM]. Their whole corporate culture is geared to high margin products (x86s that sell for $hundreds)."

That is why Intel will flog x86 to death whilst getting third parties to subsidise their fabrication facilities.

2. Mikel

HM

That 64bit Tetra K1 at 15nm, and 8GB of Samsung's 3D RAM stacked on top, and 128GB of fast attached SSD on top of that, please.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HM

I actually have a use for those. x86, hardly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like