back to article Prepare yourself for PlayStation pr0n: Sony shows off PS 4 beta-fest

It has been out in Japan since November, but Sony’s PlayStation TV is due in the UK this autumn and Sony was waving around a few of its game streaming boxes in London last week. The Japanese firm also presented a range of forthcoming games – most still in beta – along with that unicorn of gaming, a white PS4. Sony PlayStation …

1. wowfood

although the stage of old tellies was a nice touch

When I saw the pile of tellies my immediate thought was. NEW PERSONA GAME! Y'know, considering the pile of old TVs from Persona 4. But alas. (for anyone wondering what I'm talking about when I say TV pile)

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs38/i/2008/343/c/3/DarKaoZ___Persona_4_PS3_Theme_by_darkaoz.png

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All really good stuff.

PlayStationTV is definitely a game changer here (as well as allowing PS4 gaming in another room, AND Vita game playback native, it's also a Playstation Now client for PS4/PS3/PS2/PS1 titles ). That's a hell of a lot of goodness for £85.

Sony have 99.999% nailed it with the PS4, except for one small bit of the puzzle. The god damn media remote. Watching movies on my PS4 is a nightmare compared to my PS3 (which I still keep because of this). Either make the PS3 Bluetooth remote work, or sell me a new PS4 one, I really don't care... I'm really struggling over the lack of a PS4 media remote.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All really good stuff.

I'm impressed with the Playstation Now speed, so far.

I've only played a few of the games (which there aren't that many, as of yet) and they've all been very smooth.

1. Levente Szileszky

Playstation Now is very impressive, I agree, the latency, responsiveness, everything - too bad majority of those PS3 games just look awful after a PS4 game. :)

1. MJI Silver badge

PS3 games still look good*, I am playing games off both 3 and 4 at the moment, I do not feel short changed by the 3

* Well quite a few of them.

Bigger issue is lacklustre games. As an example the launch games one of them is in a series of 6 games, and the PS4 game is the second worse in playing enjoyment (only the PSP game was less fun). I even prefer the PS2 game when it comes to fun.

Tried multiplayer, prefered the multiplayer of the two PS3 games. Was more skill and map learning over reactions, and then they dropped Move support! And I am far from alone in this view.

Yes Sony since we have bought a PS4 I have played both Borderlands to death on the PS3, I played a LOT more online on a 2011 game than its so called 2013 sequel.

For new games coming out this year on PS4 only a PS4 remake of a game I have already played 3 times and a new RPG FPS are interesting me. I will get the new Borderlands game (on PS3).

2015 will be different as I will get Uncharted 4 and Order 1886.

2. Levente Szileszky

Huh, 99%, seriously? Of what? The ENTIRE media center package is still missing: no streaming movies, no DLNA support, no network file browsing, no Flash Player in browser, no MP3 streaming etc etc.

Sony needs to put a LOT OF WORK into PS4 to make it into a formidable media player box - it's a very nice gaming console package, I agree and it's good that they have shipped with Amazon, Netflix etc streaming services apps but that's it - the PS4 as it is today is a VERY far cry from being a game changer in the living room, for sure. (And I can give you more examples of awkward features: to switch from decoded sound channels to bitstreaming you have to quit playback, go to Settings, then into Sound, change the format, wait until your AVR picks it up etc, then go back? It should've been exposed in the API to 3rd party apps from the beginning so it would be right in the playback menu everywhere, not to mention all apps are still developed by Sony so it's even more of a sore point...)

PS: I agree though that the DualShock is an utter PoC media remote - for starter only thumb buttons should be active, everything else should be inactive because during almost EVERY movie we watch on Amazon we accidentally stop or quit when we simply move the remote on the couch...

1. TomP

Sony were very clear at the launch of the PS4 that it is all about games. Surely almost everyone who has a PS4 also has one or more other media device, e.g. BluRay, smart TV, Chromecast, Apple TV etc to take care of all of the other media? And I'd guess that any of those will do it more efficiently (both from a usability point of view, and power consumption!).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

PS4 is a REALLY good Blu-Ray player, why would I want to use something else? I ***WANT*** to use my PS4 as a Blu-Ray player, but the lack of remote is really frustrating.

I don't want loads of boxes under my telly. In all other respects, the PS4 fits the bill perfectly. Right now, I need a PS3 and a PS4...

2. MJI Silver badge

Yes I have a device to do that.

a PS3

3. Blake Davis

SingStar

I'm excited about a native PS4 SingStar game. Adding yet more crappy mics, however, is pretty weak. I can only hope this means they have made my collection of "common USB microphones" supported this time around.

4. poopypants

The Order has a ridiculous aspect ratio and appalling fps. Not as ridiculous as calling it "cinematic" however, rather than the unwanted performance compromise that it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And it's 8 months away from release.....

5. g e

Destiny. 500 MEEELION ???

I have the Alpha, watched the boys trying it out, didn't even bother myself after what I saw.

I was expecting serious jaw-droppery, at least visually at the very least. Will check out the Beta (have a pass for that when it's out) but freebie game (well, kinda freemium) Warframe kicks its arse and have only spent about £12 on it for well over 200 hours play so far.

If the Beta isn't a serious advance on the Alpha (not expecting it to be) then I may well cancel the pre-order.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like