back to article It's alive! Space hackers fire up zombie Sun probe's engines

An international team of space geeks has successfully fired up the engines of long-defunct NASA satellite ISEE-3. Now the gang says it'll try to kick the bird into an Earth orbit that will enable it to carry on performing the mission it was launched for 36 years ago. ISEE-3 team celebrates Team celebrates the rocket's red …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sometimes

just sometimes, a story like this comes along and perks you right up....

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      Pint

Re: Sometimes

A smile on my face, hard to do of late. For the lads --->

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> It's the first time the ISEE-3's engines have been fired since 1987

That's friggin' amazing in anyone's language.

It's been drifting round in the cold of space, for years, probably got hit by high-energy this and that.

And it still starts up first time :D

That bought a smile to my face.

1. ColonelDare
      Thumb Up

And it still starts up first time

...and I was feeling smug when my Royal Enfield 'Classic' 350 started third kick after wintering in the shed for several months!

So: Well Done!!! to all the guys/girls who built it in the first place - and to the amazingly motivated resuscitation team! Brilliant. And good luck with the rest of it. :-)

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge

@Skelband

"That's friggin' amazing in anyone's language.

It's been drifting round in the cold of space, for years, probably got hit by high-energy this and that."

What you're looking at is a pair of fluid tanks linked to a pair of pressure tanks linked by a set of valves. In extreme cases just a couple of tanks with the pressurant separated by a bladder in the same tank. The liquids ignite on contact.

That's about as simple as it gets.

1. Drew 11

Re: @Skelband

Just DON'T STIR THAT TANK!

Unhappy

"What you're looking at is a pair of fluid tanks linked to a pair of pressure tanks linked by a set of valves. In extreme cases just a couple of tanks with the pressurant separated by a bladder in the same tank. The liquids ignite on contact.

That's about as simple as it gets."

TL:DR version. It takes a very good understanding of engineering to design such a system that works after decades. in deep space. Mostly it's learning what to leave out (like pumps and an ignition system).

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> What you're looking at is a pair of fluid tanks linked to a pair of pressure tanks linked by a set of valves. In extreme cases just a couple of tanks with the pressurant separated by a bladder in the same tank. The liquids ignite on contact.

That's about as simple as it gets.

With all due respect, I think that's a bit of an over- simplification.

That's the mechanical bit at the back end. There's also a receiver, a power source that evidently still works. There are servos to operate the valve presumably.

Fair dos, they have to keep it as simple as possible and a few decades ago, that was the only option anyways.

I still think it's pretty awesome/

3. AbelSoul
      Trollface

Re: And it still starts up first time

"... so he flipped her ower and he fu.....and fu....and funnily enough it landed on all four wheels, started up first time and they just drove away."

(with apologies to Michael from Alan Partridge)

3. Chris G
    Pint

They don't build 'em like they used to

Sometimes that's a good thing but not always.

Heres to a few more years of useful science and another beer or three for the team members!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: They don't build 'em like they used to

Not only that, but I heard this morning that their vector helium magnetometer instrument is still working after 36 years in space.

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Great stuff.

Not just a beer, I reckon I'll crack open a bottle of wine.

Really, really, delighted, and happy for both the original design team, and these guys with the vision to make the effort against the odds.

5. Mark 85

Simply amazing.

That they got the old bird to fire it's thrusters is amazing in and of itself and a testimony to the design and build teams. Hopefully, the main engine will fire and get it where they want it. If any of the instruments work, even more than amazing.

If it sends data, will there be any place capable of receiving it? Processing it? Does NASA have any interest at all? I would hope the answers are yes but since the current crew at NASA didn't invent it, they may not give a crap.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Simply amazing.

The first message was :

Installing update 1 of 98767655444555 .....

1. Tom 13
        Joke

Re: The first message was :

Nah. MS decommissioned the update server even before NASA decommissioned the satellite.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Simply amazing.

It doesn't have a main engine as such, just several different sets of thrusters, there's an overview here:

http://spacecollege.org/isee3/isee-3-propulsion-system-overview.html

It is already sending data, and while the reboot team has been using Arecibo and Bochum to communicate with ISEE, NASA's DSN has also been tracking it (mainly for ranging purposes), and many amateur groups around the world have picked up signals from the craft.

http://spacecollege.org/isee3/jovenes-por-el-espacio-grupo-mexico-listens-to-isee-3.html

NASA does have an interest in the craft, but they only have a certain amount of money, and they're also trying to support a lot of other missions with that money (eg both Voyagers). They've signed an agreement under the Space Act with the reboot team, and have been providing them with information and access to the DSN amongst other things.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

They were saying the last time the probe's engines fired was before some of the team members were even born.

7. Franklin

Inspiring

I've talked to folks who seem to think crowdfunding is a fad that will never produce anything more exciting than a pot of potato salad. Projects like this show what's possible when a group of smart, dedicated, and determined folks, supported by a lot of people who believe what they're doing is worthwhile, attempt something amazing.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Inspiring

>I've talked to folks who seem to think crowdfunding is a fad that will never produce anything more exciting than a pot of potato salad.

Well, that's the attitude one is tempted to adopt when something is hyped extensively in the media... yet the truth is usually somewhere between the status quo and the disruptive arrival.

Crowd-funding seems to be nowt but a happy compromise between consuming what we are offered and investing in interesting companies in the traditional way.

Who here would watch a pay-per-view manned mission to Mars? I would. Sheeiit, choose the right crew and even the people who watch Big Brother would tune in.

2. Blank-Reg

Re: Inspiring

Well, crowdfunding has taken off big time with miniatures and board games. Games are the highest funded category on Kickstarter and there's no end to the new stuff that's appearing

3. The First Dave

Re: Funding

Does anyone know what the funding was used for? Seems like a lot of money to just turn an old radio-control back on?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Funding

the software radio 'hardware' and four really slick transformers for the various dishes, also the DSN is at least 20 grand to even get a project on the table, its basically the only way to reliably talk to anything outside of earth orbit.

also you know - flights to Costa Rica and like a bathtub of champagne

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory xkcd link

http://xkcd.com/1337/

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Thumb Up

Re: Obligatory xkcd link

"http://xkcd.com/1337/"

Wow. I did not know anyone else saw that movie.

9. Grikath
    Pint

just... awsum :)

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Applied boffinry!

Nerds are GO!

11. TRT Silver badge

A miracle...

seeing as though their fundraising rewards team don't seem to know what Bcc is for... I have a lovely list of email addys of people who've coughed up some dosh for getting this project erm... off the ground(?).

;-)

1. mark 63 Silver badge

Re: A miracle...

Great, send them all a mail asking if they want to help with my trapdoors/sharks/lasers project !

12. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

SPACE HACKERS. There are only a handful of people in the world who have earned that title. These folks got called it in print. That's a badge of honour well earned.

13. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

The right stuff

Then and now.

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

There is also the phrase from Apollo 13

"You sir are a steely eyed missile man."

15. GrumpyCrawley
    WTF?

What a Waste!!!

"Wow, it works after about 17 years" when we should be saying, "Wow, we haven't been using it in 17 years."

We spend so much time, money, and effort on these space projects to not make the most of them. The Voyager I and II are still trucking along after more than 30+ years of service, but most modern space projects have been designed with a castrated shelf-life. I'm sick of reading about a million dollar NASA supercomputer wasting away in a data center or abandoned/destroyed satellites with short lifespans. Capitalize on our investment and quit wasting resources.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like