back to article Kiwi ISP 'Slingshot' stones geo-blocked content

New Zealanders will once again get offered “global by default” Internet access that lets them past the geo-blocking of international services like Netflix, the BBC's iPlayer, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Kiwi ISP FYX announced a similar service in 2012, but it only lasted two days. Now another New Zealand ISP, Slingshot, has …

1. Sebastian A

This is a serious issue

I'm pretty sick and tired of paying 50% more than the US price for many Steam games simply because of publisher greed and their "Watcha gonna do about it?!?" attitude. it's not like NZ/AU incomes are comparatively higher.

1. croc

Re: This is a serious issue

"I'm pretty sick and tired of paying 50% more than the US price for many Steam games simply because of publisher greed and their "Watcha gonna do about it?!?" attitude. it's not like NZ/AU incomes are comparatively higher."

\start rant\

Games? <font size="4">GAMES?</font> You Provencial Putz! I'm sick and tired of getting screwed for region-priced software that I DOWNLOAD FROM THE SAME SERVER AS YOU! I am sick and tired of not being able to send a mate overseas a DVD because of REGION CODING! I am sick and tired of not being able to PAY TO SEE A NEW MOVIE THE SAME DAY (MONTH?) THAT IT IS RELEASED (usually) IN THE USA! I am sick and tired of getting screwed on hardware pricing BECAUSE OF REGION PRICING! I SICK AND TIRED OF COMPANIES CRYING "<font size="6"> GLOBALIZATION!!!!</font> ALL OVER THE PLACE UNTIL IT COMES TO THEIR BOTTOM LINE, THEN WHISPERING <font size="1">regional...</font> \end rant\

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Interesting

BIG Content:

Don't pirate 'cause we don't get paid!

Don't geo-unblock 'cause we....errrr, get paid in an acceptable currency....!?

Hang on?

3. corestore

I've said it before...

...and I make no apology for saying it again; this kind of service IS the future of the internet.

The attempts to balkanize and carve up the internet - with Google search result filtering in Europe, and 'Cleanfeed' secret censorship in the UK being the two most glaring examples - won't succeed. Customer demand is too strong. Before too long, this kind of service will be the *default* from ISPs in non-US countries. The demand is there; if ISPs don't meet it, services like unblock-us.com will.

Trying to stop or regulate the internet at national borders has a name: I call it 'Canute Syndrome'.

4. zenmaster

You just watch...

Australia not implement this!

George Brandis will look at this and say its piracy by proxy...or some such rubbish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You just watch...

And Malcolm will just say, meh!

5. Scott 26

shame its Slingshot - you'll never be able to watch Netflix/Hulu/etc via it anyway... well, not without buffering all the time

1. LINCARD1000
      Thumb Up

We've had it enabled for a few days now and have only seen one instance of buffering while watching Netflix (and that instance wasn't during prime-time either). I'm guessing Slingshot have enabled some jiggery-pokery on their routers that give preferential treatment to certain types of network traffic or to certain sites, perhaps.

So far so good as far as I'm concerned :-) Go Slingshot!

6. Deltics

"By default" is the only news here

fyi - the service was introduced over a year ago, but initially had to be enabled on your account.

If Big Content had any intent to shut it down they have had ample opportunity.

7. Michael Xion

Or just use a DNS service to get around it

getflix.com.au works for both Australia and I think New Zealand. Costs $3 per month and lets me access Netflix and the US iTunes story no problemo.

8. Pedo Bear

I live in Dubai and use UnoTelly and it works a treat

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like