back to article Google YouTube U-turn: Indie music doomsday 'postponed'

Google has postponed its plan to block independent music companies who wouldn't agree to the terms of its proposed deal, the FT reports - but it isn’t clear for how long. Small independent companies are refusing to sign new pro forma deals with Google, which has publicly said it will block their music videos from YouTube – an …

1. John Lilburne

Ditch YT

I've not posted a link to a YT video for the last 18months. Probably won't ever again either. Not missed doing so. Nothing aweful has happened. Just move on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do No Evil

WTF.

Is anyone (who is informed) still naive enough to believe that mantra any more?

3. Mark 85

Evil is as evil does

And screwing over the Indies is pure evil. Oh.. and stupid since some big names are with an Indie. Part of what killed MySpace was the treatment of it's music service and slapping the Indies around.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with any band or record label. Just an observer who likes good music.

4. James 51

Show me where the alternative is and I'll go there. Google keeps asking me to log in to watch videos so it's starting to grate.

1. SuccessCase

Agreed. I think the indies should team up with another provider like e.g. Vimeo, who have always provided far higher streaming quality than YouTube and call Google's bluff. The independent labels are where the centre of cool is. Surely music is it's own promotion. Boring old Google couldn't hope to survive the loss of cool if the independents went elsewhere. Just look at the instant transformative effect music has on a product. Apple have understood this for some time and have been masters at exploiting the instant lift music can provide. C'mon indies, have faith in your power, go with someone else. Google will come running back to you.

A couple of reminders of just how effective music can be in advertising

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/powerful/

http://youtu.be/hQw3mVWXncg

2. Fluffy Bunny
      Paris Hilton

Alternative to YouTube

If you don't like YouTube, there are lots of alternatives. One I've used is DailyMotion.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Alternative to YouTube

Whenever I read the word "Dailymotion" it always makes me think of a regular bowel movement.

3. Chika
      Mushroom

Google Minus

The trouble is getting the depth of material on an alternative. I've been watching content on Dailymotion for a few months now (pretty much since the whole Google+ thing blew up, really) and while it looks like a better deal, the overall content still has a way to go before it even touches YT.

Google knows this. It's why they are screwing everyone at the moment with impunity, whether it is content providers and creators, commentards or just ordinary viewers. They can do it because all that happens is that people gripe for a little then they can settle down and rake in the cash as antipathy kicks in once again and the ones that lose out just end up losing out regardless.

For example, I already mentioned Google+. Yes, it has been pretty much discredited and Google are not pumping the resources into it that they once did but I don't see any movement to remove it from YouTube right now and probably never will. But then who gripes about it anymore?

5. Breen Whitman

Heres your freedom, mofo!

Apparently the delay is being caused by the CIA's drones. The uploading of the coordinates of Indie musicians is taking longer that first thought, as the data stream from Google to the CIA contained Google Ad data.

Buts its OK. Once done, the drones will take care of the Indie muso's once and for all.

1. Mark 85

Re: Heres your freedom, mofo!

Word on the street is that the drone attacks have been called off after incorrect data was loaded. Seems the algorithm for this grabbed the advertiser info to target.

1. AceRimmer

Re: Heres your freedom, mofo!

Interesting concept.. will the Google Death Drones serve up some relevant ads before they open fire?

P.J. Flowers Funeral Directors

Mike's Discount Flak Jackets

Al's Low Cost Will Writing

Pretty Pollys Perfect Pet Parlour

6. silent_count

At least someone at google seems to recognise what a PR and legal (vis-a-vis the EU) own goal this would prove. The next trick would be to see if they can get over their collective ego long enough to back down.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big US company in behaving badly shocker

Next you'll be telling me that the gun owning US has the highest number of mass shootings in the world, that cheap mass produced food has led the US into an obesity crisis, and that bears do indeed shit in the woods.

8. KjetilS

Small independent companies are refusing to sign new pro forma deals with Google, which has publicly said it will block their music videos from YouTube

Not really. Google has said they will block them from monetizing their videos, not from publishing them. I can see how this is a bad thing, but from what I've seen, the new deal that is offered is still better than the one they have today.

The main problem seems to be that the major labels have managed to secure a better deal than the indies.

9. JBreezy

This story seems to get misrepresented a lot, and then everyone seems to jump on the 'google is evil' bandwagon because of it, or because it is cool to do so nowadays, who knows.

Music videos will NOT be blocked from youtube. Instead the videos will no longer be a part of their 'Partner Program' - meaning they won't be able to monetize them for as much (if at all).

Oh and the new contracts the indies have been offered will bring in more money than they get now, that'a a guarantee. However, the extra money it brings in is not enough for them. Maybe because it is not as much as Sony or other big labels are getting and they don't like this.

But, surprise surprise, a record label is complaining about them not being paid enough and is kicking up a fuss about it.

I don't see how 'not being evil' equates to 'doing whatever some small record labels tell them to do and paying them what they want regardless of whether they are worth it'.

1. solo

Evil Bandwagon kills blinds

Videos will NOT be blocked from youtube. Instead .... monetization will be blocked.. and unauthorized uploads will be passed..

You don't see the evil, do you?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" Instead the videos will no longer be a part of their 'Partner Program' - meaning they won't be able to monetize them for as much (if at all)."

Phew, that's Ok then. As long as Google gets its money and we get our videos, the indie labels can go do *%^" themselves. After all, why should they get anything anyway? They should be paying Google for the privilege!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like