back to article 'Major' Flash Player beta released

The "first major" Flash Player update since Adobe Systems completed its 2005 acquisition of Macromedia is due to be made available today as a beta. The Flash Player 10 beta features a brand-new Just In Time (JIT) engine to load pixel bytecode into the Flash Player engine. The JIT engine will support a planned expansion in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Parker
    Dead Vulture

bite code

"The Flash Player 10 beta features a brand-new Just In Time (JIT) engine to load pixel bite code into the Flash Player engine."

Isn't that a rather bad typo for the 'code' section of the Reg?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wahoo

More pointless flashing, spinning and roll over crap on the web.

The ISP giveth speed, the ad man taketh away...

3. Gavin Jamie
    Unhappy

64 bits?

No sign of a native 64 bit version though. What is the problem here? Presumably if it was just a compiler option they would have released it by now.

4. NRT

The JIT engine.

Is that the one invented by Sir Frink Whattle?

Sorry.

5. Dan
    Paris Hilton

Complex but fun

This is going to be a bit complicated but fun! Imagine what can start to do when it's mixed with the Google Maps API! (Aside from uber slow-down)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=1044

I am wondering though, as a Flash Developer, when am I gunna' have time to play with this too? I suppose it'll be a reliance on the community's "algorithm experts" to produce some sh*t hot classes for us all to use.

Thought Dan : http://www.thoughtden.co.uk

6. Torben Mogensen

Pixel bite code?

I find that name a bit hard to chew.

7. paul
    Stop

oh no

Just as gnash was getting closer to replicating the functionality of the latest release - they release a new version of flash that will probably require a super computer to run.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is all well and good....

But when are they going to release a 64-bit version of flash player??

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adverts overlaid on video

For example, for dynamic adverts overlaid on video.... al Google Adsense...maybe add a scrolling ticker along the bottom....

Just saying.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

64bit? Otherwise I'm not interested

Have they finally pulled their fingers out and produced a 64bit version? They've been promising one for more than 2 years ...

11. Fluffykins Silver badge

@Dan

Don't you dare.

See comment from Stu Reeves

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More slow down

I guess this means my computer will slow down even more when I read your articles.

I can actually hear the fans in my computer speed up when I view your pages due to your advertisers poor use of Flash.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Flash Ads

Firefox and FlashBlock FTW. I haven't seen a Flash advert in ages. If a site requires Flash for navigation then it will be ignored and I will go elsewhere.

I don't miss Flash and never have/will. It has to rank pretty highly as one of the most annoying inventions ever to hit the internet (aside from spam and ads themselves).

14. Mark Broadhurst
    Coat

Hey lets jump on the Java and .NET band wagon

The stock holders say that Java and .NET seem quite popular can we be a bit more like them ?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security holes ?

How many shiny new browser back doors is this going to drop on us ?

And re:64 bits?

Seconded !

16. frank

Bells and whistles, but the engine is still rubbish

The flash rendering engine is terrible and really needs an overhaul. Simple, everyday things like bitmap alpha-fades requiring a 2Ghz+ processor to run smoothly, it's just rubbish.

Want to fade a llargish bitmap in flash 9 using the built-in alpha routines? Better not have too much else happnening on the screen or it will slow to a crawl. And don't even look at it on a non-Intel mac. It's like a snail on mogadon. (yeah, I know, 1% of the world, but who do you think the clients are?).

Seriously, people were doing this in Director on 200Mhz PCs. How hard can it be?

Just sorting the basic stuff would save the average web development house literally thousands a year by allowing us to be more productive. I don't NEED sexy new features, I NEED the basic stuff to work right.

Oooh! Does the new flash have a completely revised dev. language in it that's a good idea in theory but makes most of your existing knowledge redundant? Is it full of arbitrary changes and new bugs? Is it? Please sir, please sir, me sir, me sir!

17. Tom Chiverton
    Thumb Up

Woo hoo, faster !

@Frank: Yes, v10 does a lot of hardware acceleration, so your alpha fades'n'stuff will be much quicker on the same hardware.

No, there are new APIs for the new Player, but the language (AS3) is the same still.

Re:64 bits

Only 30 votes on http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-37, which doesn't seem to be very many - have all you people complaining actually done something about it and voted ?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Oh goody!

Another standard for a major corp to butche....sorry, redefine! Makes no odds to me, I block all flash content before it wastes my bandwidth trying to flog me crap I don't want or videos of "an dog on an skateboard" or another chav setting himself on fire!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mac version?

Any chance the Mac version won't be a huge steaming lump of crap that guzzles all the CPU power?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PPC64 Builds please...

Really want PPC64 Linux builds and PS3 browser plugin (still stuck at Flash7).

21. Seán

Cultural imbecility

Those types who pride themselves on not understanding modern culture, not using youtube or any other flash based sites should really be quiet. You cannot contribute because you don't understand.

As for the people who can't figure out how to set up adblocking, why do they feel they have something to contribute? Silence is golden stop wasting my eyesight.

Upgrading the PS3 and producing a PPC version for ps3Linux would be a nice touch. Why don't Sony and the Flash guys do lunch.

22. Gaspard
    Go

better performance on linux please

The performance of the flash player is sluggish on windows, and dog-slow on Linux (32bit ubuntu 7.10, FF3.0 RC1, flash 124).

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-83

Baseline should be full-screen youtube with less then 100% CPU on 2GHZ machines.

Adobe: please consider streamlining the code base and reducing feature bloat before adding new stuff, please.

my $0.02

PS: ignore my comment if v10 is significantly improved (performance-wise) from v9

23. Pepe Deluxe
    Thumb Down

64-bit compatible?

So. Will there be a 64-bit version of Flash Player 10, or not?

Three years after 64-bit XP hit the market, and over a year since 64-bit Vista first arrived (not to mention the lack of Linux x64 support), Adobe STILL don't have a 64-bit player available. This is reminiscent of the Macromedia days when a Linux Flash Player was always a version of two behind the Windows version. Thankfully they eventually got their act together, but unfortunately sold out to a company (Adobe) that clearly no longer gives a toss about interoperability in a medium where it is fundamentally important: Ie. the WWW.

Apart from marginalising their own product by reminding us that Flash will NEVER compete with open standards web protocols, this is a serious kick in the teeth to Flash developers paying thousands of dollars for Adobe Software that is not as interoperable as it SHOULD be. For software that SHOULD have recognised 64-bit computing years ago.

That it is now the middle of 2008 and there still exists no 64-bit Flash Player is both embarrassing, disgraceful and an indication of the contempt with which Adobe treats its customer base.

24. Pepe Deluxe
    Unhappy

About that Jira entry...

@Tom: The Jira entry you cite is about AMD64 on Linux. Not x64 support for multiple operating systems in general. But if you care to investigate further, you'll see that Adobe's Jira implementation is useless, with x64 protests appearing every month before getting resolved over and over again with "won't finish", and a pointer to the entry on Adobe's blog pointing out why it's taking so long. *sigh*

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like