back to article Apple fanbois to talk at the iWatch, INSPECTOR GADGET style – report

The next generation of fanbois will walk down the street speaking into their wristwatches, Tim Cook has suggested. Speaking to UBS analyst Steven Milunovich, Cook hinted at Apple's interest in voice messages. In a note sent to clients that was seen by Fortune magazine, Milunovich recalled: “When we visited with Tim Cook, he …

1. Steve Todd

Has Hamill hit a new low?

Trying to drum up sympathy for cellco's now? Why on earth would users think that a new, free, messaging type was a bad thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has Hamill hit a new low?

Cook and Co could rid the world of all disease and the only thing Hamill would say is "Apple cause global over-population problem."

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Has Hamill hit a new low?

BECAUSE I'M SENDING A MESSAGE.

2. Wheaty73

WeChat

Why would anyone send a voice message over the telco, when WeChat does it over data? Can't see a revenue stream springing up here!

1. Mike Bell

Re: WeChat

Why would anyone send a photo over MMS when they can use iMessage instead?

Answer: when they have to.

I rarely send photos using my iPhone unless it's part of an iMessage conversation. Because I know that I'm going to get stung by those ridiculous charges for using MMS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: WeChat

I thought MMS was something no-one in their right mind would ever need anyway?

At least, that's what Apple said when they released the iPhone...

3. DJO Silver badge

How much?

300 American Dollars which will probably translate to 300 real English pounds or 300 of those big chocolate coins used on mainland Europe.

I know Apple users are gullible, but are they that gullible?

4. Sheep!
    Devil

Excellent, a new way to spot and avoid Fanbois :)

5. Craigness

Android

will copy this. Already has!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Android

Yeah, Android is so very, very far behind Apple that not only have their been Android smartwatches of various sorts out for a few years, but Android's had voice-based messaging for a billion and one years too.

WinMo is even further behind, having been able to send voice messages- even speech rec- since before the iPhone or Android were released.

You'd have to be Magical and Revolutionary indeed to be copied by those who did it before you...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boring...

Huh. Just like my Samsung gear then. Behind the times, apple. You been outside outshone, the Android release cycle sees you way behind the curve. That will never change. You were in the running yesterday.

1. The Corner of Moron

Re: Boring...

Can we wait until the device actually arrives before slagging of its tardiness?

Sometimes it's more fashionable to be late to the party!

1. Argh

Agreed. It's going to be interesting to see what Apple come up with. I'm sure it will be a big success because:

a) It's Apple and their target demographic tends to have a fair amount of cash available to spend on tech.

b) It will likely look really nice (unlike the 2 currently released Android Wear devices -- still waiting on the Moto 360, which looks chunky but unique!)

If Android Wear somehow became compatible with the iPhone (may be difficult due to Apple not liking anything with "Android" in the title for apps -- e.g. the Android Central news app can't get in to the App Store, and Chromecast is based on Android but used the Chrome name to get on to iOS), it could make things interesting. I know that as an Android user, I would prefer something cross-platform compatible in case I feel like changing devices. I treat services that I use in the same way, generally veering away from platform specific services.

Obviously the iWatch will not be Android compatible.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I know that as an Android user, I would prefer something cross-platform compatible in case I feel like changing device

A very valid point. Wristwatches, especially the pricier ones, are often worn for years - who knows what phones will be by then? The Swatch business model seemed to be make them affordable and people might buy more than one each.

My decision to go Android is lost in the mists of time, inherited from the pre-iphone days when I preferred PMPs with Mass Storage Mode and WMA support.

7. Captain DaFt

You heard it here first!

"It also could aid penetration of China, which Cook said has a ways to go."

So the service will be called iLube?

8. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

How utterly pathetic.

"Porting this capability to the watch makes sense as it is easier to send a voice message from a device already on the wrist than pulling out a phone."

Because it is so difficult to reach all the way into your pocket to pull out your phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How utterly pathetic.

Sadly, in some places, using a nice shiny BIG Screened phone is a target for thieves. At least this type of device removes the need to remove those very expensive devices from your pocket/handbag/manbag etc.

IMHO, you won't look more of a dork that you are if you have one of these phablets glues to your ear in the middle of <insert crowded place here>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But an Apple branded watch wouldn't be a target for thieves? I suppose it stops the snatch and dash thefts, but the phone theft issue is already being fixed by activation lock, so thieves are going to have to go back to pickpocketing or old fashioned muggings to get people's wallets or watches (the Rolex type, not the wearable tech type)

2. Obvious Robert
        Facepalm

At least when your nice shiny BIG screened phone is in your pocket, thieves can only guess whether you're carrying one, they only know for certain once you pull it out and wave it around. However with all the current gen "smart"watches being fairly useless in isolation, having an iWatch attached to your wrist is a permanently visible confirmation that you have a nice shiny smartphone about your person and IMHO probably makes you more of a target more of the time.

2. Queasy Rider

I miss about 20 to 30% of my cell calls because I can't get my phone out of my pocket in time to answer. And more annoying than that, when I immediately call back, about 20 to 30% of those calls go straight to the callers' voice mails. A wrist device might solve my problem but I won't be getting one until my PAYG provider offers one at a reasonable rate, (read CHEAP). It sure as heck won't be an Apple device. I paid $20 for my present feature phone and I don't plan to pay any more for a wrist accessory so I'm not holding my breath since I'll probably be too old and feeble to use it anyway. Sigh.

1. FormerKowloonTonger
        Linux

Agreed; unless the person you're calling has their phone in hand/on wrist ready and waiting to respond/ speak, the whole thing about even having one of these wrist phones seems centered on wanting to be looked at while walking down the street....or how about in a crowded elevator?

Silly. What on Earth has become so urgent?

Wrist phones for military use might be interesting, if shockproof.....in other words, Apple and these other trendy designer/manufacturers seem to be laughing all the way to their caches-banks.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Queasy Rider

Perhaps you need better pants. The only time I struggle to get my phone out of my pocket is when I'm driving. Yeah I know I shouldn't look to see who is calling, but I can't help myself.

9. idiotsavant

Not a surprise

Audio messages is coming in iOS 8 so the software side is already done. And there's integration of audio calls between OS X and iOS in Yosemite. All of which would make integrating any iBracelet thingy fairly straightforward.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/messages/

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

God help us..

I already see dumb people talk in handsfree mode to their phone, holding it in a 45° angle in front of their mouth as if the thing didn't have years of audio engineering and an extra mike to cancel environment noise. Some even do this on the train, using it handsfree.

If Apple sees that as the primary use of the iWatch they better make it waterproof and keep the round edge design principle. I suspect quite a lot of them will end being shoved where the sun don't shine..

11. Teiwaz

One off the wrist?

I hope they'll be vibration proof...

(okay, not imaginitive, I've been up since 3 this morning).

12. D@v3

i'm starting to hope that there is no iWatch in the works, so that all these leaks and predictions are shown to be nothing but rumour and wishful thinking.

The only problem with that is, if the product is never released, these rumours will never end.

13. Gartal
  14. CaptainBanjax

if tech has to go wearable...

Why does wearble tech have to strap on and follow old ideas.

If I have to end up with wearable tech, id sooner have the screen on the back of my hand or under my forearm than on my wrist.

Given that we can now get curved screens why not make it wrap around your forearm? More screen real estate. It looks fresh and interesting...unlike a futuristic casio like experience...and can open up more possibilities. A watch sized screen only has so many possible applicatio s. Your full forearm though...it could have interesting use cases for security as well...uses ill keep to myself for now thank you very much.

Its niche to be sure, but an interesting one.

I take first dibs on the name iBracer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: if tech has to go wearable...

I'll see your iBracer and raise you a PipBoy

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like