back to article Rockall batters plucky Brit adventurer

Plucky Brit adventurer Nick Hancock has been forced to plan an early departure from the North Atlantic islet of Rockall after a storm deprived him of a large part of his vital supplies. He tweeted yesterday: Got battered by weather last night. Lost 4 barrels kit inc food. Need to come off early. Looking at options with @ …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Now Hancock's been deprived of food, it's not clear is how long he can survive"

Three weeks seems to be the wisdom of the internet, so long as he's got water. Mind you Nick doesn't look like he's carrying much excess weight. Next time perhaps we should send Vanessa Feltz?

I may be rather harsh, but shouldn't unpleasant weather have been totally predictable risk for a small rock in the middle of the Atlantic? And if we accept that this was a predictable risk, shouldn't the stores have been properly restrained? Maybe the SPB should have done the planning for the Rockall trip.

AC because I would regard a tent in my back garden as unacceptably hostile conditions.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: "Now Hancock's been deprived of food, it's not clear is how long he can survive"

I would regard a tent in my back garden as unacceptably hostile conditions

Depending on where your back garden is that may very well be reasonable. I have to agree, they anchored the pod properly, one would think that the supplies are fixed likewise. Then again, fishing line + hook + piece of foil = sashimi. Didn't a Mexican live on that diet for how long?

1. ian 22

Re: "Now Hancock's been deprived of food, it's not clear is how long he can survive"

"Didn't a Mexican live on that diet for how long?"

And Japanese, apparently. With a bit of rice, he could have some lovely sushi to break the monotony.

Yes, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give him a fishing vessel and he'll be bankrupt in a month. Or similar...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Depending on where your back garden is that may very well be reasonable."

South West Midlands, which may explain the AC further. My wife occasionally suggests we should go camping as a family, and I keep telling her that tents are for refugees and earthquake survivors.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And how many survival pods and hi tech gadgets, custom food supplies and such did the three Greenpeace activists have?

Not to dent his "Machoism" but stranded means just that, a record attempt with a mobile to call pizza hut and KFC to deliver isn't exactly "pushing boundaries" is it?

2. Ralph B

Fuck All on Rockall

I'm thinking the Register's Special Projects Bureau should start an emergeny sandwich delivery service via GPS-steered paper aeroplanes launched from helium balloon, or similar.

Or just provide the guy with a seagull trap and/or fishing rod.

3. theModge

Just how inedible are seabirds really?

For that matter, will you just annoy the RSPB or are these rare enough that you can be prosecuted for eating them? I've feeling that if seagull was nice we'd eat more of it, given how many of the things there are, but I mean, how bad can it be?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Just how inedible are seabirds really?

Isn't it in international waters? Who could prosecute?

1. theModge

It appears to be debatable, but we claim it and no one else seems prepared to argue. It'd probably keep lawyers off the streets for some time if anyone were to try and prosecute....

2. Andrew Newstead

Er - no. One of the reasons that this islet keeps being occurpied is that this maintains a claim of British sovereignty to Rockall and the waters between it and the mainland and all that implies (fishing rights, minerals, etc.). So the RSPB might have something to say.

2. knarf

They are still eating in many parts of the world, including Scotland, where we cover them in batter and deep fry them (ok I made the last bit up, we eat them raw).

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/aug/25/scotland-hebrides-gannet-hunt

3. Nuke
      Coffee/keyboard

@theModge - Re: Just how inedible are seabirds really?

Wrote :- "I've feeling that if seagull was nice we'd eat more of it, given how many of the things there are, but I mean, how bad can it be?"

Have you ever watched what seagulls will eat? I expect they taste of it.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: @theModge - Re: Just how inedible are seabirds really?

They taste of paraffin, apparently. You boil one up on your paraffin stove, throw it away and drink the paraffin instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @theModge - Just how inedible are seabirds really?

"They taste of paraffin, apparently."

Not like he can drop into the nearest Happy Shopper for a tin of overpriced beans, though. A 300 mile odd swim to Stornoway may be a bit much on an empty stomach, and if he was anything like me he'd get there and refuse to pay the outrageous price.

If he's got an internet connection to update Twatter, is he reading this? Looking down the thread I suspect we won't be keeping his spirits up with positive talk and helpful suggestions.

Sorry Nick!

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: @theModge - Just how inedible are seabirds really?

Can't he just go onto TescoOnline and order home delivery?

4. asiaseen

Depends how hungry you are...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazon?

Could do food parcels and a drone delivery?

1. James Micallef Silver badge

Re: Amazon?

"Could do food parcels and a drone delivery?"

in 30-50mph winds?

5. Fullbeem

Those seagulls will be start to look awfully tempting soon then

6. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Re: "Those seagulls will be start to look awfully tempting soon then"

I assume they would have by the time he got near the 60 days, but I expect that right now he's more interested in food.

Wait...

What...?

Never mind.

1. Mark #255

Re: "Those seagulls will be start to look awfully tempting soon then"

Ah, is this what the "Report abuse" link is for?

7. dotdavid
    Pint

Got battered by weather last night. Lost 4 barrels kit inc food. Need to come off early. Looking at options with @kildacruises

Couldn't he ask them to bring some food with them? Then he could stay for a bit longer.

Beer icon because that counts as food and would doubtless be a welcome part of the supplies.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

His mistake was in not excavating a proper underground lair on his island.

(or going the Stingray HQ pop-down housing route, Actually the underwater launch tunnels solve the whole bad weather access problem too.).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't he tie them down?

Seems like it would be a reasonable precaution to hammer a piton into the rock and tie down all his gear to it. He'd have to have done so for his tent, and that is a lot more liable to blow away than a barrel full of food.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't he tie them down?

It's quite inhospitable on there, so yes - I agree with you, getting stuff blown off the rock is a bit daft if it wasn't secured properly.

Still, at least he was able to Twat about the situation. Interweb comms are far more important than mere human life.

Perhaps we need someone with a bigger and perhaps longer piton supply with the muscle to drive them into rock to look after our far Northern Atlantic In the Middle Of Nowhere Territories.

Now, would it be part of Scotland or the UKoGBnNI?

Cheers

Jon

10. Chozo

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon