back to article Secluded HijackRAT: Monster mobile malware multitool from HELL

Cybercrooks have brewed up a malicious Android app that bundles a raft of banking fraud tricks into a single strain of mobile malware. The Secluded HijackRAT is banking trojan that packs together new and previously unseen tricks, according to net security firm FireEye. The mobile nasty combines private data theft, banking …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

"previously unseen tricks,"

Unseen that is outside of Fort Meade.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just say NO to banking apps on Andoid

There are just too many bad guys trying to relieve you of your money

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just say NO to banking apps on Andoid

Just say NO to Android

FIFY - too good an opportunity to collect downvotes >:)

2. RyokuMas
      Stop

Re: Just say NO to banking apps on Andoid

Just say NO to banking apps on And[r]oid

No, this is NOT intended as a troll-ish "FTFY" thing. Say everyone starts saying no to banking apps - what happens? The bad guys move on to some other type of app where they can continue to profit - do we then boycott this newly target type of app? And what then? Boycotting will not solve the issue, merely shift it to another place.

The root cause is lack of education of owners. Think about it - when someone buys a new PC these days, they are automatically prompted to get some kind of antivirus. If the same philosophy were applied to Android phones - say a walkthrough on start-up briefing the new buyer on permissions and security, I'd be willing to bet we'd see a significant drop in infection rates.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thankfully it's on Android

That'll never work on my Nokia 6310 :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thankfully it's on Android

Or my Blackberry Bold :-P

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damage limitation?

Surely the best way to stop attacks on banking apps is to simply restrict what you can do with them.

Even if I logged someone in to my banking app, the most they could do is inconvenience me a little. All I can do with it is move money between my accounts and pay money to payees already set up via the main banking website. I cannot create payees using the app. And that suits me fine. The worst anybody could do is pay off some money off my credit card or mortgage, or transfer to another bank account of mine. Irritating to me, but, worthless to a thief.

Security by lack of functionality, perfect.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like