back to article Microsoft joins Qualcomm's gang in Internet of Stuff standards fight

Microsoft has joined a standards-setting consortium of 50 companies that is hoping to be instrumental in setting up interoperability for the Internet of Things. The software giant has signed up to the Allseen Alliance, which also counts companies like Qualcomm, LG, Cisco and Symantec among its members. The group is trying to …

1. Lionel Baden

If were going to have a standard

Please could we make it a open standard.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If were going to have a standard

Then where would the spooks' back door go? Gotta imagine they're salivating at the idea of every device in your home being remotely accessible and rootable, if you know the correct magic words to say to it. How long til that smart TV with integrated webcam for Skype calls becomes eerily similar to a Telescreen?

1. Fungus Bob
        Joke

"Then where would the spooks' back door go?"

They wouldn't need a back door, they could get in through the same opening everyone else uses. That is what "open standards" are for, right?

2. Roland6 Silver badge

I think you meant "Open Standard", a subtle but important difference...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, we got MS and a handful of others setting standards, writing code, so expect buffer overflow and denial of service attacks, and then we have have Google and Apple, which is going to sell any and all information they can obtain. Before it's over Facebook and twitter will be in there somehow wanting your frig to friend you or send a message stating the milk has gone bad for your local supermarket (Walmart anyone?) to spam the hell out of the Gmail account stating they have milk on sale....

Yeah, cynical but.....it could happen.

3. JassMan

How about EAN as a starting point.

Whoever wins the standards war of getting their IoT approved as the one true ISO, surely a good place to start is to use the EAN for device identification. Not only does your fridge have a have an EAN of its own but all the products inside it also have one assigned. Switches an bulbs also have EANs so software can check that it is really switching off a bulb and not defrosting all your perishables.

I can guess that the only major problem with it is, that if you inadvertantly buy brand Y instead of your usual brand X, the fridge will continue to tell tell you that you are out of both.

4. Bladeforce

They days of...

..running a virus scan on my freezer and having to reboot it too are becoming closer

5. N2

Trouble ahead

Microsoft should be banned from having anything to do with standards

6. earl grey
    Stop

Just say NO

I don't want the IOT touching anything in my house (sometimes not even my computer). Now get off my lawn.

7. The BigYin
    Coffee/keyboard

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Microsoft...standards...bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Oh gods, that's a good one!

Standards! Har-har-har-har-har!

Oh my sides...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like