back to article SPACE: The FINAL FRONTIER. These are the TEN-YEAR images of star probe Cassini

NASA is chuffed to be celebrating the 10th anniversary of the splendid Cassini spacecraft's arrival in orbit around mighty Saturn, the ringed gas colossus of the outer solar system. Cassini left Earth on October 15th, 1997 and visited Jupiter in 2000. On July 1st, 2004, it surrendered to Saturn's gravity. Cassini image of …

1. Mark 85
    Pint

A hearty well-done to NASA and Cassini.

10 years on orbit and 7 years getting there and it still has another couple of years to go. Here's one me NASA --->

I hope that whatever they decide to do for an end game will be excellent... maybe a fly-through the rings?

1. AceRimmer

Re: A hearty well-done to NASA and Cassini.

"maybe a fly-through the rings?"

Which would certainly mean the destruction of the space craft.

After its given so much I'm not sure I would have the heart to do that!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Can't they just run a few loads of narcotics to Lave, and then they'll have enough to buy a fuel scoop - and use that lovely gas giant to keep the tanks topped up?

1. Jonathan Richards 1
          Thumb Up

+1, but if you recall, you scoop fuel from the Sun (or similar fine stellar object), not from gas giants. For those for whom the allusion brings back fond memories, see http://www.oolite.org/

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Up with this kind of thing!

Up into orbit and beyond!

3. bazza Silver badge

Yet another stunning success for NASA, ESA and ASI. The pictures from the surface of Titan were particularly impressive.

4. Martin Budden Silver badge

nothing-to-lose end-of-life mission

I'd like to see Cassini incorporated into one of Saturn's rings, orbiting Saturn among the boulders in ring. Hopefully we'd be able to get several decent pics of boulders before one accidentally bumps Cassini into smaller ex-Cassini bits.

I don't know if this idea is feasible, perhaps the delta-v required to match speed & altitude with the ring would need too much fuel, nevertheless I think it would be cool to do if it can be done.

1. John Gamble
      Boffin

Re: nothing-to-lose end-of-life mission

I like this. If NASA could put Cassini in, say, the A ring, as close to the Cassini Division as possible, we could get some pretty spectacular shots before the probe's end of life.

And I'm sure the spectacular shots could be justified as a scientific mission.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Superb piece of engineering!

Excellent stuff by NASA (and ESA, Cassini-Huygens was a joint mission). Great example of international collaboration as well.

And of course it gives us yet another reason to raise a glass

6. Anonymous Blowhard
    Pint

Park it somewhere visible

If anyone does visit the Solar System, they are bound to come for a closer look at Saturn; so make sure they can find our calling card.

You never know, we might still be around to offer them a drink.

7. William Donelson

Truly an awesome achievement! Some of the most amazing science in history.

8. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Brilliant.

Next we need some nice portable Fusion Reactor and then see what we can do next.

Amazing what we have achieved with practically only fireworks and Electronics. OK, Ion Drives, some amazing Mathematics, materials science and Mechanical Engineering.

A Fusion reactor power source would really jazz up our ion drives.

9. Cipher

Amazing pictures, so much from some relatively old tech. Kudos NASA!!

10. DNTP

You can see the Polar Hexagon in the Saturn picture.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Wow! I've seen that picture before but never noticed that.

Thanks.

11. Graham Newton

Spoiler

The final mission has already been decided and is known as "Grand Finale". The orbiter is to be manoeuvred into a polar (vertical) orbit such that the closest approach is between the rings and the planet which will give some fantastic photos of the planet. This culminates after several such orbits with orbiter falling into Saturn's atmosphere.

1. cray74

Re: Spoiler

Ah, it's been decided then. I had seen a menu of options a few years ago and was interested in the "go to Uranus or Neptune" choice, but that was a long shot in several ways - the transit would be very slow.

12. Duke2010

Well done Nasa!

FYI if any Nasa people are reading this I'm available for a one way trip to Mars if you need volunteers.

13. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

It's great to read stuff like this, as opposed to all the doom and gloom around

14. bearded bearcan

Now imagine

we skip building the next aircraft carrier and build something really cool instead, like this

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now imagine

Can't upvote this enough.

15. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Boffin

Proud

Our species at its best. Really.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like