back to article BBC offers briefest of teasers for the next Doctor Who

The BBC has released the briefest of brief teasers for the new series of Doctor Who, coming in at just 15 seconds of Peter Capaldi’s first turn behind the wheel of the Tardis. Youtube Video We can, I suppose, count ourselves lucky that the teaser features some actual talking, although there’s only some time to squeeze in a …

1. William Donelson

One of the dumbest shows ever on TV. Including Judge Judy and the agony aunts.

1. Lionel Baden

not a bad attempt

But there are better ways to get the downvote crown.

1. Annihilator
        Flame

Re: not a bad attempt

"But there are better ways to get the downvote crown."

I dunno, criticising Judge Judy is about as flamebait-y as it gets....

2. Dinky Carter

We've got a right one 'ere...

Exterminate!

3. frank ly
      Thumb Up

I've upvoted you ...

... for your brave display of klutzpah. (Cynicism beyond the call of duty also gets my upvote.)

4. wolfetone Silver badge

"One of the dumbest shows ever on TV. Including Judge Judy and the agony aunts."

No one EVER speaks like that about ANYTHING Malcolm Tucker is involved in!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

fsckity bye

that is all

2. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

quite right

there's usually a lot more effin & jeffin

5. The Axe

Troool

Upvoted for fanstasic trolling

6. Stevie

Re: One of the dumbest shows ever on TV.

No! I won't have that, sir!

There was the second and subsequent seasons of Un-Blake's not-quite Seven.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: One of the dumbest shows ever on TV.

The show (second season on) that finally showed a ballsy black character as one of the main characters? Granted, her acting wasn't the best, but she was my first positive black role model on English telly - and it still had spaceships and dodgy fx... and Servalan!!!!

2. dan1980

You had me at "Clara"

I haven't pressed play on the embedded video - mostly because the still already shows me all I need to see (refer to title) and, being a Malcolm Tucker fan, my imagination is providing a more amusing line than I believe The Doctor is allowed to deliver.

1. Dave 126

Re: You had me at "Clara"

Indeed... I think I'll wait for people to overdub The Thick Of It dialogue over the new episodes.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
        Unhappy

If only he played the Doctor, Malcolm Tucker style.

Sad face because it won't happen.

2. helicoil

I'm hoping that one day the Doc will regenerate into Monkey and his crew will magically morph into Pigsy, Sandy and Tripy-whats-his-name.

No more "sonic screwdriver" but a f*ck-off magic big stick and lots Dalek butt-kicking action, how's he going to call the TARDIS? - take a wild guess ;-)

Gotta go, my sides are hurting just thinking about it.

1. Colin Critch

Monkey

Tripitaka I think. Possibly one good use of a "Cloud"

1. jai

Re: Monkey

In the worlds before The Doctor, primal chaos reigned.

The Timelords sought order.

But a Tardis can fly only with its Eye of Harmony.

The Timelords and Daleks fought again and yet again,

As endless aeons wheeled and passed.

Time and the pure essences of Gallifrey,

the moisture of the Earth,

the powers of the sun and the moon,

All worked upon a certain policebox, old as creation.

And it became transparent and vanished.

That policebox was named "The Tardis".

Timothy Dalton, the Timelord Rassilon, said,

"In the final days of Earth, everyone had bad dreams."

A wave of the sonic, caused the doors to open.

From it then came The Doctor.

The nature of The Doctor was irrepressible!

1. helicoil

Re: Monkey

Oh mate, I had visions of a big egg on a mountain cracking and Monkey, with a stripy scarf and floppy hat, leaping out waving a big stick and shouting "Doctaaaaaah!" cue -funky electric guitar.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have to say Clara is a very beautiful woman. I don't normally find the general ilk of stars attractive, but yes she is pretty.

Anon so my Wife will let me watch Dr. Who.

3. Tom 7

This is just plain product placement by the BBC.

Kleenex must be creaming it in if you'll pardon the expression.

1. Dave 126

Ah, so *that's* why you hide behind the sofa when the Dr Who comes on TV!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah, so *that's* why you hide behind the sofa when the Dr Who comes on TV!

I wouldn't go there.

And I mean that literally.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Valeyard

Nice

With that outfit I'm wondering if they've stopped trying to copy Tom Baker and if they've decided to go for a bit of Jon Pertwee :D

1. EddieD

Re: Nice

Jon Pertwee didn't really go for bovver boots...maybe Jon Pertwee meets Vinnie Jones...

1. Simon Harris

Re: Nice - boots...

Maybe he found them in the 9th Doctor's wardrobe.

4. rizb

TotallyLooksLike.com

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Peter Capaldi is starting to look a lot like Peter Cushing?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Looks like...

Looks like the new season will feature a new TARDIS desktop...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks like...

Of course, it helps them sell more toys if they can change everything all the time... Kind of like a new iPhone upgrade; "Mummy! Mummy! I've got to get the new TARDIS Console Room! Please!?"

2. Cliff

Always has - look back at every new doctor and there's a bit of a refresh of the decor - and that's what keeps the series fresh and still going. No point having a time traveller who is stuck in a time warp, if you get my drift. Except it still looks like a (completely extinct) police box, so, erm...

1. TRT Silver badge

Mainly 'cos the cack-handed scenery monkeys keep breaking bits off every time they pack the set away.

2. Tom 13

Re: refresh of the decor

A bit yes, but since the reboot they've been less, shall we say, subtle. Granted the Beeb might have been as unsubtle if the original had the sort of budget the reboot has.

3. TobyD

I hate to be the nerdy one (and in the context of a Reg readers' discussion of Doctor Who, that's _really_ plumbing it) but that's the same set they've had all last year for the TARDIS interior. It's just with the lights mostly switched off.

They'll get enough toy revenue from New Doctor, New Doctor in his New Clothes, Clara in a Slightly Different Dress etc to afford to manage without updating the glossy cardboard photo inside the TARDIS toy.

6. NogginTheNog

Fingers crossed

I have a personal dislike of buttoned collars with no tie, but hey I can live with that. But please please can we get back to some old-fashioned simple 'bad guys get butts kicked' stories, with a bit less of the brain-aching season-arcing uber-plots??!

1. John Bailey

Re: Fingers crossed

"But please please can we get back to some old-fashioned simple 'bad guys get butts kicked' stories, with a bit less of the brain-aching season-arcing uber-plots??!"

No.

2. VinceH

Re: Fingers crossed

"I have a personal dislike of buttoned collars with no tie, but hey I can live with that. But please please can we get back to some old-fashioned simple 'bad guys get butts kicked' stories, with a bit less of the brain-aching season-arcing uber-plots??!"

Yes to the old-fashioned simple 'bad guys get butts kicked' stories.

No to the less of the brain-aching season-arcing uber-plots.

I like story arcs - spoiled by B5, probably. (But I think some of the Doctor Who arcs could be greatly improved.)

7. graeme leggett Silver badge

more content that the first teaser

Which gave us a silhouette.

8. Dave Bell

That's more of August pinned down: World Science Fiction Convention, sleep, and wake in time for Doctor Who ( nearly a dead cert for a Hugo Award this year)

1. Tony Paulazzo

World Science Fiction Convention

They could take down Iain M Bank from the featured list of guests - unless they're planning to speak via Ouija board.

http://www.loncon3.org/

9. Whitter
    Boffin

Decor (Tardis and shirt)

They change the Tardis interior to allow the Who-ism "Oh, you've changed the décor... I don't like it" whenever an older Doctor pops by.

PS: The new look is Bowie derived (The Man Who Fell To Earth et al.)

10. picturethis
    Coat

Maybe it's "time" for a tardis regen....

First things 1st:

1) Clara is a hottie (in a "girl-next-door" sorta way..). It would be even more so if she wasn't married in real life..

2) Why is it always the Dr. that has to regenerate? Why can't the Tardis take one for the team? I mean that when a Dr. regenerates, his outside appearance changes, but he is still the same man inside. When the Tardis changes, it's inside appearance changes, but it's still the same on the outside.

How about the Tardis regenerates and becomes something else on the outside? What that would be, I don't know, maybe a checkered cab or a bus, or an RV. Maybe just change the color from blue to yellow or red? That certainly would drive more toy sales of the Tardis...

1. Steve Davis

Re: Maybe it's "time" for a tardis regen....

The Tardis is supposed to change it's exterior appearance to adapt to it's surroundings but early early in the series it was said to be broken and stuck in police box mode.

2. Moeluk

Sorry to be picky, but Jenna Coleman isn't married, she's just been in a relationship with GOT blokey since 2011...

There's still a possibility they could break up, leaving you free for your imagination to run riot with it's wank filled maschinations.

3. Havin_it

>What that would be, I don't know, maybe a checkered cab [...]

Not... sure... if... trolling... but...

DIAF. I know the show's doing its best to pander to the US audience, but there are limits!

4. Daggerchild Silver badge

Be careful what you wish for. During the reign of Colin Baker he did have a stab at getting the chamaeleon circuit working again.

He ended up climbing in and out of pianos and things... it's all best left under the carpet.

He did materialise the tardis around a concorde (that wasn't a concorde) once, but I'm not sure that counts. The closest regen it's done I spose is giving itself an external telephone (just to stop Neil Gaiman sniggering), and making its doors flimsy instead of the big meaty space-slabs it had in Peter Davidsons day.

1. ThomH

Re: Maybe it's "time" for a tardis regen.... @Daggerchild

... didn't it once materialise around itself?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cybermen walking through Cardiff yesterday during some filming...

12. Stevie

Bah!

I saw this weeks ago on BBC America.

"Just released" indeed!

Of course, the BBC does have the Tardis ...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cant wait

Dr who is the tops!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like