back to article And now for someone completely brilliant: Stephen Hawking to join Monty Python on stage

Renowned physicist and boffin of the highest order Stephen Hawking is to join famous 1970s British surrealist comedy group Monty Python on stage in the comedians' first live show in decades. Youtube Video A video intro at the press conference featured some gentle ribbing from Mick Jagger about the fact that the Python crew – …

1. Bertie D'astard

The best ever ventriloquist :-)

2. PaulyV

Tickets like gold dust? Seatwave is awash with them and they start at £25 for opening night.

1. Ben Bonsall

Tickets like 0.92g of gold dust at current price, if they're 100gsm copier paper and around 7cm * 15cm, that sounds about right...

1. Dom 3

They're regular A4 in size and feels like 80gsm to me.

2. Steve Knox
      Holmes

I'm pretty sure....

they meant that they're fatal to Cybermen.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: PaulyV

You're right - article amended.

C.

4. Flugal

Thanks!

Great - and thank you - I had no idea! I have just purchased 2 tickets.

3. Ol'Peculier
    Happy

Tickets

They might be around for 25 a go - but you'll need a telescope to see the stage from your seat...

Is this for every night I wonder? Am off on Saturday so be interesting to see what happens.

1. PaulyV

Re: Tickets

I don't think Hawking is appearing live from what I read elsewhere - he appears to be involved every night so can only be pre-recorded.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On all my previous visits to the O2 telescopes weren't necessary due to the honking great screens displaying all the action.

1. Annihilator
        Meh

"On all my previous visits to the O2 telescopes weren't necessary due to the honking great screens displaying all the action."

Just like watching it at home...

Have seen a few things at O2 and Wembley Arena - turns out I can't stand arena-based comedy.

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Cinematic telecast ....

Out of curiosity, I discovered the 20th July (Finale) cinecast was playing at my local cinema[1], so bagged a couple of (numbered) seats. 'Er indoors has never really been a big Python fan, but she appreciates how much money we've saved by not going to the O2 ;)

[1]I guess we can call them movie theatres now ?

Icon ? My hovercraft is full of eels -->

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cinematic telecast ....

Aren't they also showing it on Gold on tv? So you could have saved even more money and stayed at home :)

5. kmac499

+1 Please

Good to see Carol Cleveland is in the show as well,

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: +1 Please

Both of them!

6. Bucky 2

OMG! Brian Cox is such a FOX!

7. Peter Simpson 1
    Holmes

boffin of the highest order

super-duper-über-boffin?

8. DocJames
    Happy

"The worst case of party pooping I've ever heard"

said Eric Idle (I think) when Graham died the day before their 20th anniversary party.

I'm not sure how good it'll be. More a case of hero worship than comedy. (I'll still be watching, cos they're my heroes)

1. OzBob

Re: "The worst case of party pooping I've ever heard"

Will they bring Graham and his urn again (and the dust buster)?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"boffin of the highest order Stephen Hawking"?

We need a new Reg unit for that sort of stuff - I salute you sir!

10. bex

overly long sketches with occasional funny bits, I can't wait

11. Vector

US next?

Maybe a reprise of the Hollywood Bowl? Please? Pretty Please!?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Tax avoiders?

Many years ago I used to work in Covent Garden and often passed through Neal's Yard. One of the buildings in said yard was an old banana warehouse containing Terry Gilliam's animation studio and the recording studio used by the Pythons. The outside was plastered in brass plates for Python-related companies with names such as Stash It Away (Jersey) Ltd and a dozen others seemingly based in tax friendly overseas locations. Thinking back, it makes Gary Barlow look like an amateur.

1. Ivan Headache

Re: Tax avoiders?

Wasn't it called something like 'Neal's Yard Abbatoir'?

(For those not getting the joke, at the time Neal's Yard was a hive (or epicentre - as the BBC would describe it) of health-food/whole-food/vegetarian/alternative therapy businesses.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Tax avoiders?

at the time Neal's Yard was a hive (or epicentre - as the BBC would describe it) of health-food/whole-food/vegetarian/alternative therapy businesses.)

One side was all small media companies and the other two sides* were indeed the sort of places you mention.

*It's a triangular space.

13. Camberwick Green

Never mind that, my lad.

I wish to complain about a parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique, and that appears to be neither alive nor dead but in some kind of superpositional state.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Never mind that, my lad.

Have you tried observing it sir?

1. Andrew Newstead

Ah, quantum humour. You don't know if it's funny or not until you observe it...

1. Tromos

And even after observing it, Heisenberg wasn't sure.

1. Gazareth

It's Psi-ing for the fjords.

14. Richard Scratcher
    Thumb Up

Good

It'll make a change from his cruel heckling of other comedians.

15. Stoneshop
    Happy

Sir Not-Appearing-On-This-Stage

But he still was integrated into the Galaxy Song, as the not-quite-foot-like Pythonesque Foot to Brian Cox, who was picking nits with the physics involved.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great show

Not really a fan, but have enjoyed some of the films and sketches in the past, so went to see this at the cinema on the 20th (rather than paying O2 prices).

I really enjoyed the show.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like