back to article Walmart in iPhone 5s, 5c price slash – gotta make room for that 'iPhone 6', right?

Walmart has cut the prices of iPhone 5 handsets in its stores to, it's assumed, make way for Apple's next smartphone. The retail goliath on Friday slashed the cost of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c smartphones when users purchase a two-year mobile contract. The 16GB iPhone 5c will now start at just $29, down from a previous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain DaFt

Heretic here

So, because it's Apple phones, nobody considers it might simply be because they're not selling that well for Walmart?

1. P. Lee
      Trollface

Re: Heretic here

or they can't clear the stock at the higher price...

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

"...slashed the cost..."

You mean "slashed the price".

Even from the consumer's point of view, the "cost" should include consideration of the ongoing monthly bill as it completely dominates the financial equation.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slave labour is getting more expensive,

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Boffin

Yes, Wallyworld's wages are crap

but if you are referring to the manufacture of Apple Products using slave labor, then I have to ask where all your 'electronic kit' is made? Perhaps it is made by the same companies that Apple use? Do you know for sure that your supplier is not paying less in wages to get their 'stuff' made?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$99

I'd buy an iPhone 5s for that like a shot. But of course that is neither the cost nor the price; it's just the deposit for the contract. What's the real cost of a new iPhone 5s if I just go and buy one to use with my own SIM?

1. Annihilator

Re: $99

"From" $649 according to walmart.com. Suspect a lot more expensive if you work out the cost of the contract they're selling it on though.

4. Justice
    Trollface

Correction...

Foxconn is said to be.... forcing an additional 100,000 university students into workcamps.

There, fixed it for ya!

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Economic logic?

If you are signing up for a 3year contract at $100/month (all cell+data plans end up costing $100/month whatever the ad says - it's a law of nature)

Are you really going to be persuaded to buy with a $20 drop in the price you pay at the till?

Do Walmart really think that their customers don't understand basic market economic theory ?

1. Richard Jones 1

Re: Economic logic?

It does appear that in most places people suspend all judgement in order to rent something new. I hope that they know why but I worry they don't.

My mobile does what I want, is now elderly and cost me just over £5, about US 8 per month rent - and I get enough texts, minutes and unlimited land-line calls. I can almost like it.

2. P0l0nium

You've clearly never been to a WalMart

The phrase "can walk and chew gum at the same time" was invented for the right side of the "Bell Curve" of WalMart shoppers.

1. JeffyPoooh

"...can walk and chew gum at the same time..."

AH HA!!! You've explained a long-standing mystery.

'Why are the entrances of Walmarts simply covered in bubblegum stains?'

You've explained it! Their clientele knows that once they step inside Walmart, their often already low IQ will instantly drop another 25 IQ points (~33% average). If they forget to spit out their bubblegum just outside the entrance, then they'll topple over about 20 feet inside.

This also explains the purpose of the elderly Walmart Greeters. They're there to catch the wobbly shoppers that forget to spit out their gum.

6. Zog_but_not_the_first

Why?

Are iPhones so expensive?

1. Annihilator

Re: Why?

All the "premium" smartphones are expensive. iPhones, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8) all start at £549.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Becasue Apple and Samsung are greedy bastards. And enough thickos to happily let them gouge !

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not any more expensive than flagship phones from other manufacturers.

7. Alan Denman

Are buyers as thick as pigshit?

Well, they must be stupid enough to think that is the total price. Otherwise, why would we keep getting this 'for dummies only' headline every July?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are buyers as thick as pigshit?

Of course they are. Why would they keep going back time after time and get the latest "upgrade" to their "not so smart" phone so they can say they have the latest?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>Of course they are. Why would they keep going back time after time and get the latest "upgrade" to their "not so smart" phone so they can say they have the latest?

Where are these much-rumored iPeople who upgrade their phones every time a new model comes out? Out of all the phone I know with iPhones, most are on the 4S still, which is now 3 years old. I even know a couple people who are still on the 3GS and those things are still going like tanks. I don't know anybody who gets a new iPhone every year... I guess some people get a new one every 2 years because they are on service plans that overcharge them for the privilege of "upgrading" every 2 years. But lots of haters like to say iPhone users are just sheep who throw their money at Apple to get any new and unnecessary thing and I don't see it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Where are these much-rumored iPeople who upgrade their phones every time a new model comes out

The comment was about "smart phone" people in general not specific to iSheeple. A significant number I know (and this is not amongst the IT contractor community) go through an upgrade cycle at regular intervals. Most won't be upgrading *every* new release, but every other release certainly

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Where are these much-rumored iPeople who upgrade their phones every time a new model comes out

as a longstanding iPhone 5 user (pre-pay not contract - to avoid bill shock) I'm happy to mention that I just bought a Motorola Moto G for €134 on Amzn.fr as a backup phone. Apart from it having a bigger & brighter screen than the IP5 - it feels 'snappier' - though the sunspider 1.02 scores for Moto G are 1.5 seconds compared to the IPv5 750 milliseconds. The only annoying thing about KitKat is that it's hard to turn off the 3G data. (once "Data" is turned off, there's a further hidden Menu option to turn-off "Background Data" as well) Android reacts to this enforced Wi-Fi trafficking by putting a small pouting exclamation mark on the display.

So, I really don't feel the need to invest in an IPv6, and when my MacBookPro eventually conks out it might get replaced by a haswell ChromeBook! (Available from $150 from Amzn.com) tho' it cost me another €100 for postage & Duty from USA - but I got the 32GB flash (only 16GB in EU) & have used crouton to sidegrade to xubuntu.

2. DiViDeD

"Where are these much-rumored iPeople who upgrade their phones every time a new model comes out?"

Don't know where all of them are, but two of them are in Cherrybrook, Sydney. So far they've been out there on the pavement in George Street in the dark, while iMinions ply them with coffee and sing songs for every launch since the 4.

And even when they had to replace all their 30 pin connector peripherals (car dock, alarm clock ..erm.. dock, bloody big cheap nasty column speaker dock, etc) becaus etheir new phones didn't fit anymore (I suggested adaptors, but it seems the docks needed the phone to fit flush in order to support it and they were a bit worried about stress on the connectors), the simply chucked it all out and replaced it because 'that's progress'.

So I might only know of two, and they could be the only two in the whole world, but I wouldn't count on it - they ARE out there, make sure you lock your door

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like