back to article Strap-on cam pro GoPro in IPO share grow show

GoPro’s shares soared on its stock-market debut, gaining 30.5 per cent to give the wearable camera-maker a market value of $3.9bn. The firm’s clip-on high-def video cameras, beloved of extreme sports enthusiasts and amateur rocket-builders, have become the top-selling camcorders in the world, according to beancounters at IDC. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

could those channels be a place for indie musicians to put their videos up on?

2. Tom 35

Wow

An IPO for a company that actually makes something, and even a profit. How old school!

1. Derpity

Re: Wow

Clearly I went through the wormhole and it is now 1998 again....I knew I should have remembered to carry my "History of Winning Lotto Numbers" book on my person at all times.

1. Philip Lewis

Re: Wow

Surely you mean "Grays Sports Almanac" :)

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

"make the same gear at a cheaper price"

Not really. There's a boatload of imitators, including Sony and Garmin (of GPS fame) but a lot of them don't stack up. Either they've got "rolling shutter" problems, color balance problems, battery problems, temperature/humidity/moisture/vibration intolerance, or are just a plain cheap piece of shit.

Heck, the rolling shutter problem knocks out 80% of them, especially with the vibration environment on a motorcycle or car suspension.

GoPro has had problems, but they've always had a firmware rev out to fix it, except for the "battery doesn't work in the cold" in which case they replaced my battery.

This is one of the few IPOs where I've hoped the company does well, and wished I had the dough to buy some shares myself.

4. KBeee

Soooo.. if they sell 3.9 million at $1000 each,, it'll mean the "bubble" works? Instead of "Money Men" making paper profits that somehow translates to REAL money getting even richer...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious to the appeal GoPro

As their products aren't that good, average at best, there are far better sports cams. Seems they have created a brand using average products but lots of sponsorship and product placement.#

The Apple model, invest less in technology, more in marketing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like