back to article BBC: Bumpkins, hobbits need fairer coverage

The strange Hobbit-like creatures rumoured to populate the barren wasteland between Islington and the Cotswolds must be reported better by the BBC, a report for the BBC Trust has concluded. The report recommends the restoration of the post of a Rural Affairs Editor to find and interview the creatures, to discover how on earth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

"You can download the report..."

Grief, I think I'll pass. Sounds like just the kind of expensive hand wringing diversity obsessed rubbish that the Beeb is constantly being parodied for.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I notice around Wimbledon time that everybody suddenly becomes an expert on Tennis. People who at every other time of the year never mention, watch or play it are suddenly able to describe at length the best strategy for a player to overcome another's attack-vector with a well aimed speed-ball served to the watchamecallit.

Speaking as someone who lives in the city, but was raised in the country, I find many 'city people' (apologies for the lazy generalisation) seem to know everything about the countryside and how best to manage it when there are issues raised in the news with regard to the countryside or when Springwatch is on.

'Country Bumpkins' are looked down on like they're the uninteresting natives living in some sort of Middle Earth which where everything is overpriced during the summer (that last bit is true). Nothing a 'Country Bumpkin' has to say can be of any worth since it's probably based on some kind of superstition that involves cannibalism and hatred of minority groups.

The condescending tone of the City Elites (or City Tarts as I've heard them called -- never used the term myself, except for here) can be quite frustrating, especially when that condescending tone is one that is instructing the said 'Bumpkin' to change everything they know about the countryside because the Sophisticate (Welsh Assembly Member) has consulted a Focus Group.

1. rhydian

It depends who your AM/MP is . If you have a Conservative or Plaid member they're usually from a rural area themselves and have some idea of what's going on away from Cardiff/London.

The Lib Dems used to be pretty good, until they started parachuting idiots in to seats like Montgomeryshire who were torn to shreds over issues like wind power.

The worst however are Labour. As their powerbase is in urban areas they simply don't care about the countryside or its residents. (See windfarms, fuel prices, land subsidy rules).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't forget hunting, will never forgive them for that. No clue what it is, but it hurts the precious pretty foxes (actually disease ridden vermin) and is inhumane (they're animals dear, not humans), so ban time.

Thanks for pissing on our thousands of years of tradition and clearing out more jobs from the countryside for your nimby loving supporters to move into those delightful farm worker cottages and commute to London.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You know nothing. For hundreds of years, its been the city toffs who hunt. They used to come for the season, now they day trip. The majority of real country people find these wanna be tweed wearers immensely annoying. They act like they own the place, cos they are on a horse wearing a stupid costume. Tossers. Each and every one of them.

1. rhydian

Of course by now the townies are all up in arms about the massive increase in "Urban" foxes (identifiable by a backwards baseball cap and fake american accent). The problem is that townies don't have the common sense to stop shooting each other and start shooting the foxes...

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Oddly I've seen a massive DECREASE in urban foxes recently (last 15 yrs) due to the introduction of wheelie bins rather than black bags that are easy prey to foxes

3. James Boag

BBC !

Surely it the 10 Downing Street Broadcasting Corporation, As nothing that ever happens is ever reported on their so called news programs !

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Stewart Lee did some excellent stuff about the countryside on BBC2.

*I* upvoted you, leastways, although you may have gotten more downvotes if you started on visible otters.

2. James Hughes 1

Interesting comment, but please don't tar all countryside dwellers with the same (Cornish?) brush.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is a bit worrying when a second rate so called comedian (he is on the BBC so must be second rate and need not be funny) is taken as an example of real social history. There was a time when people had to be funny not just pathetic to be called a comedian.

Mind you did you hear about the person who moved up to London to cut his journey to work. He became a drug dealer to defray the costs and his kids became gun and knife (knifes are quieter) carrying pushers. They hated all the dumb wh**** F****** who tried to shut down the drug dealing, the gun and knife carrying.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The BBC is biased

It delivers pro-London propaganda and wastes millions on layers of pointless managers.

It does some good work but it needs to actually start representing the UK as a whole; not just the elite within the M25.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Tom 38

@Symon - great blog

it’s hardly surprising that the tone of much of the BBC’s political coverage is sceptical. As Jeremy Paxman once suggested, it is based on the suspicion these lying bastards are lying to us.

Good read!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The BBC is biased

"Conservative, Labour, Liberal, Nationalist, Green or UKIP it’s all the same"

Did I mention politics? No. No I did not. This isn't about which right-wing-clone-party is supported. This is about the BBC getting a clue the the UK extends beyond the M25.

2. breakfast Silver badge

That isn't just the BBC, though, is it? It covers pretty much all the mainstream media. It often seems as though if you could turn the M25 into a 500 foot high wall, it would take weeks for anyone in the media ( or parliament, come to think of it ) to even notice.

Even after they did and the whole thing was the biggest story of the year, it would still be six months before the chumps at Defra realised.

3. Lionel Baden

please dont refer to them as "elite"

They have a massive complex already

4. ElectricFox
      Alien

I hope that their move up to Media City in Salford will start to give them a more balanced perspective in this regard...

Alien icon because I just feel like one today...

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"pro-London propaganda"

This isn't just any BBC. This is M&S BBC! (Manchester and Salford)

They do sometimes mention stuff happening in and around Manchester these days. I've even seen them do voxpops from the Trafford centre. The problem isn't where they are based. The problem is they don't like to travel unless it's to somewhere tropical or exotic.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is true but you also have to remember that the population of London is greater than Scotland and Wales combined. So things in London do affect more people.

I guess one of the problems is a general thing that you just aren't as interested in something that isn't where you are.

6. captain veg Silver badge
    IT Angle

the point being...?

Public service broadcaster solicits opinion of public on its service. This is news?

-A.

7. rhydian

Not surprising...

This has been going on silently for years. For example, the Countryfile programme, which used to be on sunday mornings, would at least attempt to be balanced between the views of actual rural dwellers and those who read those "South Ruralshire Life" magazines. Now that its gone prime time the focus has swung over markedly to the rambler/naturalist/Guardian reader/holiday cottager.

S4C at least does recognise that its rural viewers do in fact live and work in the countryside, and therefore appreciate programmes that reflect that.

1. Cornholio

Re: Not surprising...

I read that as "rambler/naturist/Guardian reader/holiday cottager". Must be time for bed. Nighty night.

1. rhydian

You don't get many naturists in the countryside, the lack of patio heaters puts them off

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

S4C represents a tiny population in comparison though. I remember their programmes well.

1. rhydian

Yes, S4C does cover a much smaller population, but it does do rural a hell of a lot better on a much smaller budget. Remember BBC news got a right hammering a few years back for not making it clear when what it was reporting didn't apply to Scotland/Wales/NI (Mainly education and health stories).

8. Pete 2 Silver badge

They do things differently out there

The problem with "rural affairs" coverage is that there's little or no scope to show these parts of the country as bastions of multi-cultural, liberal-arts, vegetarian individuals. And in that case, the BBC neither knows how to address them without the MC-LA types being horrified: both at the though that they don't have tube-trains "out there" and that their milk comes from cows - not Tesco (and that cutesy ickle bunny-wunnies are shot, skinned and eaten - by people) - and nor does it know how to present their concerns, interests and issues without their city-dwelling cousins ending up cowering in the corner, behind the sofa (so what does happen to all the "boy" calves, who are no use to a dairy farmer?).

Not to mention the ever present possibility that behind the back of an O/B presenter, we might be treated to the sight of some pigs "makin' bacon".

So, given that the BBC likes it's audiences to sit neatly in nice little compartments, that are easily catalogued with non-controversial and "balanced" mixes of people one can see why people who either choose to eschew cities, or have escaped from them, might not fit into their comfy view of their audience.

Though it would be amusing to see how a reporter deals with being on the wrong end of a shotgun barrel in a "get off my land" situation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I live in the country!

We often get the BBC (and sometimes ITV) turn up in our village when you want a view of the countryside and how country shops cope, how rural life is is so different etc etc...

We live 10 miles outside of Birmingham, have have these magic things called motorways (M42, M5, M40,M6) which we can use "Cars" on and these funny things called trains, we also have this thing called a 60mb broadband connection?

Tough being in the "countryside"

Of course, the pubs* allow dogs in, the girls tend to turn up to the boozer covered in horse shit and you are as likely to park next to a battered land rover or tractor than a gleaming white range rover and when you get a power cut, you have to switched to bottled beer, but hey ho.

*Pubs, those things that serve beer and some snacks, not those things that serve food with a drink as a side order.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: I live in the country!

Sounds idyllic, cue BBC turning up interviewing the mud splattered horsegirls about the demise of traditional farming, and accidentally putting the price of beer up due to spending power (public funded dontchaknow), and then another crew will turn up to do a piece on rising prices...

2. TheOtherHobbes

Re: I live in the country!

>I live in the country!

>...we also have this thing called a 60mb broadband connection?

Now I know you're lying. No one who lives in the real countryside has trains, or broadband. We're lucky to get 1.5MB/s down a piece of wire bought wholesale from RadioSpares back in the 80s.

Still, nice to see the Reg not being patronising at all to us country folk.

As for the badger cull - it had nothing to do with cute badgers (they're not all that cute, in fact) and everything to do with the fact that it was a stupid idea that couldn't possibly do anything useful to control bovine TB.

Which, to no one's surprise, except that of townie hoorays who like killing wildlife because they think it's fun, it didn't.

And the only reason Cuadrilla backed down (nominally - we'll see what they say a few years from now) at Balcombe was because they knew if they went ahead with fracking they'd get their arses kicked in court, and it wasn't worth the effort.

Once they'd been forced to stop because drilling was causing earthquakes, as happened in Weeton, I'm sure even the Cuadrilla board could estimate what a damages claim would cost.

10. breakfast Silver badge

Bumpkin 4rr loyfe

As a borderline bumpkin myself I have noticed that there is a lot of reluctance to talk about rural issues and more specifically to talk about them with people who live in the affected area. At best you're going to get a representative from the NFU ( the one union for whom the government will bow down abjectly at their slightest whim ) rather than someone who knows the actual area that the story is about.

The last foot and mouth story broke just very near to where I live. Various journalists and reporters were consistently found waiting outside the farm where it happened for days. I did not see a single story on the topic that spelled the name of the farm correctly in spite of the fact it was right there. Not to mention reporters stomping around through fields where they risked spreading the pathogen further. That week I realised that I just wasn't cynical enough about the news media.

11. Daedalus

It ain't just the yokels in the UK...

BBC reporters in the US routinely pontificate on US matters while sitting in cafes in NYC, DC, LA or various other acronymic cities far from the actual events taking place in ND, SD, TX etc.

1. 100113.1537

Re: It ain't just the yokels in the UK...

That's the problem with impressions of the US in a nutshell - we've all seen Seinfeld and Friends so we (think we) know all about New York/USA etc. I moved to upstate New York to work at an ivy league university and it is another world, let alone another country

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Patronising clap trap...

Ah, as if there wasn't enough horse shit here in the countryside, the bbc produce some more, in report form. In the icon, I'm actually getting my smock......

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Living near London...

I am covered by the joy that is BBC London - I will never forget the day a local double murder cut off a load of the town. Of course when I got home from work I switched the BBC London news straight on - Only to be confronted by a load of pointless crap about Camden, the mayor blowing his f**king nose and zero news at all about the murders.. I have not watched BBC London news in 5 years what's the point.

14. wowfood

I don't get the BBC

We pay £12.50 a month to pay for the BBC, basically 2 channels for 1/4 the cost of a sky subscription. And yet we have this god awful television, low budget tripe... and doctor who. As for the lack of countryside coverage, when are they watching TV? All I ever see on the bloody channel is countryfile and 'ye olde time show of victorian era'. and occasionally if I watch during the day Doctors (oh and the snooker when it's on).

What are they going to do to showcase the countryside folks more? Start a new soap opera and put it up against emmerdale? "Down in sommorset farms we got tra'ers an comboin 'ar'sters."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get the BBC

Countryside, its it just filled with inbred Tories moaning about city people not spending large amounts of money keeping their local shop open while they just drive 30 miles to the nearest supermarket

And there are the werewolves

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Where Wolves, oh there wolves....

2. Tom 38

I would totally watch a live action version of "The Archers".

1. TheOtherHobbes

I would totally watch a live action version of "The Archers" with werewolves.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For 12.50/month the BBC produces a load of stuff that Sky can only dream about. Sky only has to provide footie and US dramas, whereas the BBC has to do all the public broadcaster bits too. Where is the sky equivalent of Countryfile? I assume it's somewhere between topless darts and the repeats of 1990's quizshows?

Anyway, back to the point of this story - of course the BBC doesn't reflect people from the countryside - it's staffed entirely by urbanite middle-managers with no appetite for risk and no new ideas. Why else is it stuffed full of property/antique and cookery programmes. They are just making TV that *they* want to watch.

Get rid of all the middle-managers and allow the programme makers at the bottom to decide what to make. I'd much rather a BBC that took risks and failed 90% of the time, but gave me 10% great shows, than a BBC that is risk adverse and fails 100% of the time by giving me mediocre shows.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

2 channels? And the rest! And BBC News online, and the other web content, and all the national and local radio stations etc etc

I'm guessing you watch no BBC output atall then?

15. Zot

I live in a town in the Cotswolds...

... GCHQ lives in my town.

What do you want me to say? How about, "Ooh-arrr-ooh-arrh-oooooh-aaaarrrrrrgh."

There, that'll make the BBC feel all safe about their assumptions.

Anyway, I just want more tech shows BBC, go on, more technology please!

1. Trainee grumpy old ****
      Unhappy

Re: I live in a town in the Cotswolds...

>> Anyway, I just want more tech shows BBC, go on, more technology please!

Unfortunately the BBC's "technology" output falls way short of the expectations of many El Reg readers.

1. Zot

Re: I live in a town in the Cotswolds...

I thought that many El Reg readers don't even have a telly, not one with a broadcast receiver anyway. :)

16. Chris G

The count wee?

Ohh you mean that big gween place where we take the dogs at the weekend.

(They have such a gweat time chasing those wooly sheep and fluffy bunnies)

1. Anonymous IV

Re: The count wee?

I remember the quote from the BBC radio comedy programme as:

Posh blonde female undergrad: "The countryside? You mean that green thing that Daddy owns?"

17. Jim Wilkinson
    FAIL

Regional news?

We do have our 1/2 hour daily regional news in the south-west and that certainly does cover local issues. But even in this rural area, coverage of farming and other countryside issues is meager at best.

As for 'Countryside'; it's bit like some country magazines - all gloss and no muck.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah

And have you ever seen a BBC program about Morris Dancing that didn't take the piss?

Oh, hang on... yeah, I get your point...

19. Dave Bell

Most people living in the countryside work in towns.

If I have a job in the countryside I might be working with a machine that is worth more than the house I live in, and spends most of the year in a shed.

I do get usable broadband, but the mobile coverage around here is getting patchy. I suspect the phone companies don't know that trees grow, and they are bigger than they were when the coverage was calculated.

20. Grease Monkey Silver badge

"Many rural licence-fee payers gave the thumbs down to the BBC’s reporting of the badger cull, arguing they invariably pictured healthy or “fluffy” badgers and failed to represent the farmer’s point of view, and the arguments for the cull."

So the assumption of the report's writer seems to be that the majority of it's 12 million rural licence payers are actively involved in dairy farming? The author obviously knows less about the country than the rest of the BBC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like