back to article USB charger is prime suspect in death of Australian woman

An Australian woman has been found dead, possibly as the result of connecting a device to a USB charger that does not comply with safety standards. The Australian State of New South Wales' Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe has issued a statement warning local punters not to buy chargers that do not bear the usual panoply of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. the spectacularly refined chap

More official advice completely divorced from reality

That last bit of advice is a bit hard to swallow: your correspondent, as do millions of others every day, works on a laptop with a mains connection.

Too true. Does any government official ever consider whether people's bullshit detectors will fire when spouting crap like that? The issue here is dangerous chargers, not using devices while connected. Logically there is no real difference between using a mains-powered device while it is attached to the mains and using a portable device while attached to the mains. If anything the later is probably safer.

But no, admitting that you can't enforce the law properly and keep unsafe kit off the market wouldn't look well, so you get crap like that instead. Keep it simple and aligned with reality - i.e. "Buy from reputable sources, make sure the device has these markings" - and you stand a chance of people paying attention. Load it with bull and the end result is the entire message gets disregarded.

1. razorfishsl

Re: More official advice completely divorced from reality

"Logically there is no real difference between using a mains-powered device while it is attached to the mains and using a portable device while attached to the mains. If anything the later is probably safer."

It is better you don't comment on things you don't understand.

that sort of logic does not come into it, rather an understanding of power electronics , waveform clipping and switch mode power supply will tell you EXACTLY WHY, your so called 'logic' breaks down, and it's all to do with size.

Here is a VERY simple experiment you can do.

Take one metal cased EARTHED computer, take one USB charger/hub ( just like the one you can buy off Ebay) do not connect the hub to the computer.

Using a multimeter set it to about 700Vac, now touch one lead to the 'metal' body of your computer and connect the other multi-tester lead to the 'shield' or the usb hub plug case.

Be prepared to be amazed…. then understand that it only takes a single capacitor or resistor to be out of spec for the available current to rise, or in the case of some really SHITTY usb chargers for the way you plug the charger into the wall adaptor to be reversed!!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So all your example shows is that a shitty (non conforming with the standards) charger is likely to be just that - shitty.

If the output is isolated from the mains section - as is required for compliance - then there is no way that mains voltage can appear on it.

On the other hand the cheap shitty units without isolation should be banned and it is the job of the authorities to see that they are. The equipment manufacturers that grossly over charge for such items are also to blame because people wanting extra units will tend to buy lower priced units - it is human nature to do so.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

That's a crap argument.

So you are saying the manufacturer who needs to recoup his investment on R&D for his new idea and then the huge sums charged for testing so he can legally add those stickers and other declarations of conformity should try and match the prices of the assholes who rip off their design so badly it kills people?

Do you not see how that doesn't work? & even if they did sell the fancy chargers at cost, just to keep you happy, the assholes would still be cheaper due to them not paying for half the parts that ensure safety. That's just a race to the bottom.

The message is, be a smart consumer. Buy from someone who isn't likely to be selling dangerous kit.

I've bought Chinese kit that was wired to kill. First thing I do now is take it apart and check any mains circuitry.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's not a crap argument actually. Yes, the price of anything is related to the cost of design and anything else involved with getting the device to the consumer, not just the manufacturing costs. I've spent a lot of my own time doing that, including time in an anechoic chamber.

This does all cost money, but chargers are aren't revolutionary designs. Yes, each iteration will have unique design features, but most of it will be much the same as previous designs. Testing and certification has to be done from scratch each time, but when you're selling millions of units it pales into insignificance.

The real question is, why does manufacturer A sell their peripherals at £30 when manufacturer B can sell theirs at £3? They've been through the same process.

What *should* happen is that all manufacturers should conform to a set of standards, or failing that, release open specifications for their own interfaces, which would not only open up competition, but would also help promote their interfaces and ultimately, their devices.

1. PassiveSmoking

That's just that though, they haven't.

Manufacturer A built their device to at least meet (and probably slightly exceed) international electrical safety standards designed to keep people from being killed by the device. They then paid to have samples tested to destruction to earn the right to put the safety certification logo on the case. They'll also pull random samples out of batches during manufacture and test those too to mitigate the risk of a bad batch of parts rendering the certification moot.

Manufacturer B is just concerned with making a profit and isn't concerned about the odd corpse here or there. They'll buy the absolute cheapest components they can get, have them assembled in the cheapest way possible, put them in the cheapest case possible and just slap a load of fake safety logos on them. The charger from manufacturer B is probably at best 10 times more likely to kill you and/or burn your house down because it was manufactured by people who just don't give a shit and just want your money.

All that risk for a saving of £27? Is your life really worth so little? If you can afford a couple hundred quid for a phone/laptop/whatever then you can afford 30 for a new charger. Or just try not to break the charger that came with it in the first place, there's an idea. I actually have a surplus of Apple chargers because the ones I've owned still work fine after years of proper use so I never need to unpack the one that come with the new phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@ PassiveSmoking

You've missed the point. Manufacturer A and manufacturer B have both done the tests. Both have put in the R&D to make a safe design. Both have completed safety tests, both their own and those dictated by regulations in all of the places they sell them. Both offer a warranty.

If you sell, say a million chargers at £27 each, that's £27,000,000. Of course, there's tax, overheads, retail mark-up etc. etc. but it does not cost anywhere near that amount to develop a charger.

In the example, it's not manufacture B who is just trying to make a profit. It's manufacturer A. They have both developed a product for £x. B is charging £x+$profit, onto which everything else, like tax and the retailer's cut is added. A is charging exactly the same, except $profit is a lot more. All of the development, including safety, is included in £x.

I'd love to have you as a customer, if you're willing to pay more purely because you think you're getting a better product. But then again, there are plenty of drones like you who are willing to do just that. But then again you may just think I'm comparing Apple with cheap knock-off, rather than Apple (to use your example) with reputable manufacturer B. You do know Apple have a huge mark-up on their hardware, right? You do know there's a good reason they have so much cash? It's hard to blame them. They saw you coming, after all.

1. PassiveSmoking

@ac If by "Better" you mean "Less likely to kill me" then guilty as charged, I will spend more for the better one.

I find it very hard to believe that a mains powered charger that sells for 3 quid and is of a form factor compatible to the miniaturised USB chargers that the likes of Apple, Samsung, et al pack in with their products is going to be remotely safe. Maybe they really actually are that safe, but I also feel that my life is worth more than the hypothetical £27 difference between them. I'd rather be a sucker than a corpse.

Oh, and for the record, the actual cost of an Apple iPhone charger is £15, not 30 so you might even be able to afford two! http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD812B/C/apple-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

If you really dislike apple so much there are plenty of other reputable companies that will sell you a charger for a bit more than three quid that probably won't kill you either.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

" Both have completed safety tests, both their own and those dictated by regulations in all of the places they sell them".

That is a massive assumption. Particularly if she bought the charger in a cheap shop or market, although the chains have been fooled by clone products from time to time.

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

@razorfishsl

Setting the 10M-ohm Z-in meter to 700 *volts* AC provides little useful information. Better to set it to 10mA AC scale (if it has one) as that would actually provide some useful information.

3. the spectacularly refined chap

Be prepared to be amazed…. then understand that it only takes a single capacitor or resistor to be out of spec for the available current to rise, or in the case of some really SHITTY usb chargers for the way you plug the charger into the wall adaptor to be reversed!!!!!

You accuse me of ignorance but it is you that has missed the point there. Redo the same experiment only with an analog meter in place of the DMM. You'll read nothing: class II appliances operate from a floating supply - no connection between the low voltage side and earth or indeed any other mains terminal. The voltage is therefore indeterminate and can easily drift to a silly value under even static or chemical influences. There's no current maintaining that voltage though, so it can easily be shifted back again. In the case of the DMM the input impedance is a fair approximation of infinite so you read the silly value. An analog meter has much lower but still fairly high impedance (tens of K) - even that loose tying of the supplies together is enough to shift the voltage back to equilibrium.

This is a safety feature, not a hazard: it ensures that any single part of the low voltage side can be accidentally connected to any voltage without a short occurring. The appliance potentially becomes live but it isn't going to catch fire or anything like that.

1. Scroticus Canis
          Unhappy

Re: the spectacularly refined chap- She was electrocuted not set on fire!

"The appliance potentially becomes live but it isn't going to catch fire or anything like that." - it is not good to be the earth connection of a live-body appliance, which is what appears to have killed this unfortunate woman.

A previous comment noted it's human nature to by the cheaper (apparent) alternative. However buying cardboard brake pads or crap mains power electronics to save a dollar or two does come with a potential Darwin Award. Regulations are there to protect the unwary but unfortunately for those who ignore them ignorance becomes its own reward.

2. Phil Endecott

"Insulation on the pins of the plug" - are they suggesting that this was an issue in this case? I thought that was required just to prevent you from electrocuting yourself by poking a knife between the plug and the socket.

Re "reputable suppliers" - we don't know quite how disreputable the supplier of this product was, yet. My suspicion is that the chances of crap junk are similar in the bottom and middle of the market. We can't expect everyone to buy their battery chargers from John Lewis.

1. Adrian Harvey

>> "Insulation on the pins of the plug" - are they suggesting that this was an issue in this case?

I believe said insulation is a requirement of the safety standards. Therefore lack of insulation would provide a quick and easy to spot warning sign to the customer that the device was non-compliant.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

We can't expect everyone to buy their battery chargers from John Lewis.

Err... John Lewis is still a supermarket of sorts.

Frankly, any supermarket is a disreputable source as far as "own brand" electrical goods are concerned. They are sourced in a manner similar to horse lazagna and slavery prawns by the same sourcing department.

It does not cost much more to get a genuine charger or a proper CE marked 3rd party replacement nowdays from a proper online computer supplies shop. Misco/Global Direct and the More group taken together stock pretty much everything under the sun.

3. SuccessCase

Interesting read in this context. Teardown of an Apple charger versus a cheapie replacement:

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

1. nichomach
        Stop

There's a difference between

a third party replacement and one which, as in the case of that link, is an actual fake intended to deceive. I use a number of generic MicroUSB chargers without issue.

1. SuccessCase

Re: There's a difference between

@nichomach Agreed. Though (and I'm not disputing the thrust of your point in saying this), I think there are a lot more of the "intended to deceive" level of quality chargers inserted in the supply chain that end up even with reputable suppliers, than many realise.

I've noticed on many fronts companies are encountering supply quality challenges. A none tech example, I purchased some stainless steel cutlery from Ikea about 6 years back and it started rusting after a couple of washes. I'm sure Ikea have quality standards for stainless steel and this failed to meet them. The cutlery was manufactured in China. Perhaps the initial shipments were good. I'm guessing the quality of the supplied steel was surreptitiously switched, or a previously good supplier, delivered a below spec line, and the first Ikea knew about it was customer complaints (based, admittedly, purely on my belief that a Scandinavian company has a reputation and values such that they would not have knowingly ordered cutlery in steel of that low grade). Of course they should quality check shipments, but the quality checks are probably also built into suppliers contracts and the supplier now booted off the supply list or given a heavy ticking off.

We've grown used to big business having certain standards (Sheffield steel quality marks and all that) and I think some big businesses have had to re-adjust to the QS wild-west that is China and suspect, in no small part from a significant volume of anecdotal evidence (some of it my own like the above), quite a lot slips through the net and ends up with reputable suppliers.

1. SuccessCase

@nichomach - Useful additional paragraph on what you are saying in the article I linked to on the question of "Is the Apple charger worth it?":

"Apple's charger is expensive compared to other chargers, but is a high quality product. You should definitely stay away from the cheap counterfeit chargers, as they are low quality and dangerous. Non-Apple name brand chargers are generally good quality according to my tests, with some better than Apple. If you want to get an Apple charger without the high price, the best way I've found is to buy a used one on eBay from a US source. I've bought several for testing, and they have always been genuine."

1. razorfishsl

The difference is that the 'cheap' charger has the safety circuits removed, because 'logically' you only need the safety circuits if something goes wrong with the design.

So … to some manufacturers it is a 'waste' and that is why you can buy cheap crap off Ebay or TauBao.

There is a myth that labour and materials are cheap in China and that is why the products are cheap, in reality the products are cheap mostly because the material and designs are substandard.

Instead of the inductor wire having a carefully controlled layer of varnish added, instead the factory runs a 'stretched' copper wire thru a tray of boat varnish.( usually with dead flies and dust in it)

* they 'stretch' the wire, because 1m of good copper wire can usually be stretched to 1.5m, thereby reducing the cost by upto 50% on that one single component, and it is fairly difficult to detect during Q.A

2. JeffyPoooh
              Pint

"Apple's charger ... is a high quality product."

The ones with the green dot, yes. The initial version was potentially-deadly rubbish. The power plug pins would pull out of the charger, leaving the metal pins protruding from the live wall outlet. Human reaction might be to reach over and grab them, leading to electrocution.

Green dot means that it's the fixed version.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge
                Thumb Up

Not sure WHY you got downvoted for pointing out a flaw that people may have been unaware of. Can't have been fanbois either, because the redesign showed that Apple took it to heart. I saw recently the teardown of one, at Ken Shiriff's blog (about 1/3 the way down the page) showing how they'd redesigned it so that could NEVER go wrong again

4. Piro Silver badge

I think it was more of a sound bite referencing standards; if the plug doesn't conform to Aussie standards, that's a good start to being suspicious about the quality of the device.

The same thing applies here to some degree, but sometimes those Chinese get confused and put insulation on the earth pin, which is a definite sign the thing isn't BS1363. (I've seen many other violations too).

3. Steve Evans

Having been on the receiving end of an exploding USB charger only the other week, I don't have the foggiest idea how you are supposed to pick a good one.

And no it wasn't bought from a market stall. The offending one in my case was CE marked, and branded by the major electrical reseller were it was purchased.

The idea of an SLA battery charged up on a solar panel in the garden, and then brought in to charge devices is looking like a more sensible (and safer) solution every time!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The offending one in my case was CE marked, and branded by the major electrical reseller were it was purchased."

Which is a major flaw in the official response. First, most consumers wouldn't know what the vast number of small print hieroglyphics on chargers mean. And second, even if they have some awareness those markings may either mean nothing useful (eg on untested kit), or have been applied fraudulently (eg on equipment the OEM knows is not compliant).

The CE marking shows this only too well. Supposedly meaning that a device conforms to EU standards, but widely understood to stand for "caveat emptor".

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

CE marking (at least in the UK)

As far as I am aware, for imported goods that carry the CE mark, it is the importer to confirm that the CE branding is genuine. For major companies that directly import themselves, this means that if they sell something that they've imported, they could be on the hook for damage claims resulting from selling devices that fraudulently carry the CE mark.

This being the case, if you buy your cheap tat from a major retailer like a supermarket or DIY store, or direct from Amazon (i.e. not from one of their associate sellers), you probably can have some confidence that the CE branding is genuine (it's in their interest to make sure that this is the case, because they are financially liable).

If you import direct from China through Ebay or another route, then it's YOUR responsibility to make sure that the CE marking is genuine. If you don't, then it's possible that you could invalidate any house or other insurances that may apply where it is operated, and could be liable to damages if you supply the item on to someone else!

If you buy from an individual or a small seller who has imported the item and sold it through some market or other, then things are a bit more muddy, because although they are technically liable, the chances of them actually being held to account is fairly low, so they may not confirm the validity of any of the safety marks (it costs money!).

If you have information that the CE branding on any item is not correct, you should report the supplier to the relevant trading standards organisation.

So my advice would be that if you feel you have to buy cheap tat, get it from a supplier who's reputation would suffer if they did not do due diligence and check the safety marks were real.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"...was CE marked..."

There's "C E" and then there's "CE" (=China Export).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking#mediaviewer/File:Comparison_of_two_used_CE_marks.svg

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: "...was CE marked..."

Ohhhh. That's sneaky. I hadn't spotted that!

4. Chairo

Burn marks on her ears?

After reading this article, I checked all headphones around, and the in-ear button type ones all have a metal plate in direct contact with the skin. Possibly connected to the shielding, that serves as GND. (Why is there never a multimeter at hand, when you need one)? It seems to be an odd design choice.

The more modern auditory channel type headphones seem to be safer, btw.

With a properly grounded charger this woman would probably still be alive. That said, all USB chargers I ever saw had only 2 pin connectors. OK, dodgy chargers take certainly most of the blame here, but it seems headphone makers should also think twice about their design choices. 2 electrodes, each connected closely to one side of the brain, what could possibly go wrong?

1. Steven Roper

Re: Burn marks on her ears?

"2 electrodes, each connected closely to one side of the brain, what could possibly go wrong?"

Ve are goink to perforrm an electronik zerebrektomy!

5. Tom 35

How?

Short of being struck by lightning how would you get burns on your ears? I don't think I've seen any headphones that have metal parts that would touch your ears. Was she taking a shower at the time?

1. fearnothing

Re: How?

Perhaps they were referring to the in-ear earphones of the type sold with iPods? They all have a fine mesh metal grille over the speaker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Electric current will always try and take the quickest route back to its source (the power station) to form a circuit. This is why we Earth things: the Earth is a conductor and is often the quickest way back. If there is an Earth cable, a short circuit will send the current down the cable, which is a much better conductor than the Earth. If the appliance is fused, then the surge in current will blow the fuse, breaking the circuit.

If there's no Earth cable, and you touch a live appliance that is not earthed, then you are the quickest way to Earth. The current flows through you and you get burned, and are possibly killed.

When birds sit on overhead cables, they don't die because there is no route to Earth. They may be at 22 KV but unless they touch the Earth at the same time, they're fine.

In this case, the quickest route will have been through the headphone cables. The cables themselves will have been shielded and there will have been a jump across the air between the speakers and her flesh.

Not nice.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

"Electric current will always try and take the quickest route back to its source..."

"Quickest"? Are Kirchhoff's circuit laws a function of (t)?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Pedant. Easiest then. I was talking in layman's terms. Not the greatest idea on the Register.

2. Scroticus Canis

Re: How? @AC Not quite right mate.

Birds can sit on overhead cables because their scaly feet are particularly poor conductors and don't provide a decent collateral circuit route for a small separation of their legs. Big birds aren't seen on the really HV wires as their foot separation does allow some collateral flow. If a human hung onto a 22KV line with two hands at shoulder width there is sufficient collateral flow to kill. Of course being used as earth is much more effective.

Normally (230VAC areas) the neutral on your home supply is just connected to earth at the local transformer, incoming HV lines don't have a neutral wire as they use the Earth as the return circuit. That's how most lightning storm damage happening to your appliances is via the neutral and earth wires due to your local earth being at a different voltage to the transformer's earth. So unplug, don't just switch off.

1. Nuke
            Thumb Down

@Scoticus Canis - Re: How? @AC Not quite right mate.

Wrote : - "If a human hung onto a 22KV line with two hands at shoulder width there is sufficient collateral flow to kill.

Nonsense. If you believe that I take it that you would never put your hands across a car battery. In fact 50 volts is the recognised limit below which there is no risk of electrocution. If overhead wires lost 50v per half-metre a 22kV line would have nothing left after 220 metres.

2. Tom 35

I happen to have a set of iPod earphones here... Check with my multimeter and no, the grille is not connected to any of the three rings on the plug.

My Sony in ear headphones are all plastic on the outside.

My on ear Logitec headset is also has no exposed metal bits.

So we would need a defective charger that connects one of the USB lines to the live input.

A device (phone?) that connects that to signal ground.

A dangerous headset* that has exposed metal bits that connect to ground (spark gap at 220V is almost nill, much less then a mm).

She would need to touch something to complete the circuit like a tap.

1. Scroticus Canis
          Holmes

Re: How? -"She would need to touch something to complete the circuit"

Er, no. She was the earth circuit. USB charger supplying live mains (or HV DC) to phone body via shielding wrap probably and phone in hand. Earthed shielding on headphones (sweat makes ears damp) and body of laptop (also burn marked area). So grabs live phone, completes circuit to ground via headphones and laptop. Current across heart and head for double wammy. That's "How".

2. Hardcastle the ancient

Re: No exposed metal bit

The presence of 0.1mm of plastic does not constitute a perfect insulator. Ignoring dielectric effects, the material may very well break down at a few tens of volts, the voids between parts may be contaminated by moisture, and many plastics are loaded with carbon, either to make them nice and black, or to make them anti.static.

6. Infernoz Bronze badge

Possibly not a dangerous charger

I am rather surprised that the women had burns on her head; even if the headphone wires became part of a mains circuit, because there should still have been enough plastic to insulate her ears. Maybe water was also involved; with water, even good normally isolated kit could become dangerous!

1. 142

Re: Possibly not a dangerous charger

I wonder if it is more likely a 220v 50Hz signal causing the coils in the earphones to superheat and melt/burn out. I've seen loudspeakers catch fire when subjected to these sort of low frequency overloads.

I guess, this could happen if the charger malfunctioned connected the positive mains signal direct to the USB ground, which would be then move the ground of the headphones from 0v dc to 220 ac. *shudders* so many horrible failure mechanisms when you start throwing mains voltage around headphones.

Almost makes me never want to wear headphones for work again.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Re: Possibly not a dangerous charger

In the absence of complete details, a better assumption is that it was a common mode path where the entire device was at Mains voltage and the victim was somehow grounded. In such circumstances, the headphones would not necessarily be humming loudly during the incident.

7. corestore

OK the headphones were plugged into the laptop, and the laptop was plugged into... what?

What laptop uses a *USB* charger as a *power supply*??

Something here doesn't add up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

..Something here doesn't add up.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/faulty-usb-phone-charger-blamed-for-sheryl-aldeguers-death-20140627-zsoc8.html

'..It is believed a dodgy $4.95 phone charger sent a high-voltage electrical pulse into her phone, which transferred to the earphones she had connected to a laptop.'

err, doesn't add up is a bit of an understatement..looks like journos getting a wee bit confused somewhere regarding the details of the case..that, or there's some mightily strange ear seeking electrical pulses doing the rounds in the southern hemisphere..

1. JeffyPoooh

[.]..Something here doesn't add up.

AC Mains 'hot' > dodgy charger > phone > hand -->> head > headphones > laptop > ground.

2. James 100

"OK the headphones were plugged into the laptop, and the laptop was plugged into... what?"

AFAICS it said she was wearing headphones and holding a laptop, but not that the headphones were plugged into the laptop: if they'd been plugged into her phone/MP3 player at the time, that would explain it all. The laptop would probably act as a convenient earth at her lap - current flowing between lap and ears would be a pretty bad arrangement medically.

Having said that, fake/dodgy chargers are not a USB only problem: I've seen some very nasty cheap laptop power supplies which could easily zap someone into an early grave if they're unlucky - and of course they're designed to deliver much more power than USB ones, which probably makes it even riskier for the user when things go wrong.

I've had some minor shocks when using two laptops at once - one Apple, one Dell, both plugged in to bona fide OEM chargers. Same result when touching a phone charging from the Apple USB ports, so I suspect it's just earthing current coming from the Dell - not nice, whatever the case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] and of course they're designed to deliver much more power than USB ones, which probably makes it even riskier for the user when things go wrong."

Electricity is surprisingly lethal if the contact with the skin is good enough. The old saying was "Volts jolts - mills kills" - accordinging to Wikipedia "more than 30 mA of AC (rms, 60 Hz) or 300 – 500 mA of DC" causes fatal fibrillation. Although 50volts is regarded as safe - there are cases of people being killed in very humid tropical areas by 32volt supplies.

3. Piro Silver badge

https://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/F2J07AA?HP-Chromebook-11-1101-PC-Made-with-Google-

HP Chromebook 11. Uses a microUSB charger.

Also known for its charger bursting into flames.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/13/chromebook_11_pulled_from_sale/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/17/hp_chromebook_11_charger_recall/

That said, the story doesn't add up.

8. Richard 12 Silver badge

Sadly, I am not surprised this happened

Having taken the covers off a few of these USB chargers, the "Oh my god this is going to kill somebody" has passed my lips more than once.

Maybe UK Trading Standards will now pay more attention to fake and dangerous electricals, instead of the pudding about with handbags that they seem so keen on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sadly, I am not surprised this happened

The house fire that killed a family of five in Sheffield recently was blamed on a faulty USB charger. I would hope that UK TS is already paying more attention to this than to perfume and DVDs. Only a pity they didn't take more notice when the radio hams etc pointed out the sub-standard engineering of these things after noticing the interference they generate.

I try not to leave these little chargers on when out of the house or overnight, and if possible put them in places where a smoky expiry won't set anything else on fire.

1. Tom 35

Re: Sadly, I am not surprised this happened

They would only care if it said @pple on it. They need someone with loads of money to call up and whine at them before they move. When it comes to no-name crap there is not much budget to deal with it.

In Canada there are only a few people working on dangerous goods but an army working on fake DVDs and handbags.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I bought a cheap usb PSU from a UK trader who shall remain nameless; it worked for ~10 hours then exploded - throwing the USB cable half way across the room and nearly causing me to wet the bed!!!.

That aint BEER in my glass.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

An own brand USB hub from a reputable supplier lasted about a minute before a pffft signalled the demise of the "blob" power supply. A replacement lasted 10 minutes. A DLink hub has been running the keyboard and mouse for a couple of years since.

A recent purchase of some fence solar lights for the garden was interesting. After a few weeks one failed. Opening the unit showed that the small round-cell NiMh battery had split into two halves. In the process it had burned a neat round hole right through the plastic case - luckily not in contact with the wooden fence.

2. Tom 7

Mr Emery

if your power supply was on the duvet in bed then you deserve to be blown up. These things get warm - wrapped in a duvet or just resting on one can deny them of any cooling and the end result can be your bedroom getting more of a banging than it deserves.

However given human ignorance/stupidity perhaps the sensible safety standards for these things should include a thermal cut-out, however something that damages industry and not consumers is not going to achieve the brown envelop level of funding necessary to make it law.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mr Emery

Drills holes in the power supply and pour water in. That will cool it down.

Disclaimer: don't do this.

2. Martin-73 Silver badge

No, the previous correspondent does NOT deserve to be blown up. At worst, he deserves a failed charger due to the thermal protection shutting it down.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

The "wallwart" charger was plugged into the socket next to my bed - and from there the cable goes to my mp3 player - which lives under the bed and feeds Buddhist chanting into my MP3 pillow.

Your inference of ignorance on my part is amusing - seeing as I am an ex-sparky whose equipment is installed on a number of HM nuclear submarines.

(The icon is for you)

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

@IE. "...feeds Buddhist chanting into my MP3 pillow."

My pillow speaker carries a permanent feed of BBC World Service. Same thing really. :-)

Cheers!!

3. Sarah Balfour

Been the opposite case for me; I've had THREE genuine Apple, bought from a physical Apple Store, chargers blow up - I've now got 2 iDevices happily charging on no-name generics, which have been problem-free for >2 years.

Apple makes overpriced shite; I'm typing this on a 5th gen Touch, which is well out of AppleCare; due to the 'style over substance' way these things are manufactured, for the past year the screen has been parting company with the backplate, the resulting gap now being around 3mm or so - wife enough to slide a thumbnail into - and, in order to force it to charge - and to prevent the Home button falling out - I've a hair elastic round the base. If I didn't it'd be complaint that "this charger isn't certified…" - even though this iPod is using a genuine Apple charger - which hasn't exploded. Yet.

My old 4th gen on the other hand, has been subjected to some unspeakable abuses - including being dropped down the bog. Twice - and there's nary a scratch on it.

If there was another company which produced summat like an iPod, I'd never buy from Apple again. Even Apple appears to be considering dropping it…

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

"...wife enough to slide a thumbnail into..."

Wife enough? A Freudian slip?

I'd have used a 'coffee sprayed on keyboard' icon, but there isn't one.

10. TReko

Current path and earth leakage

The article is lacking in details. Was she also charging her laptop? Assuming she was listening to the mp3 player and charging it too, and one had a floating ground, the current would have flowed through her, from her ears to her lap.

Another question is why the earth leakage did not trip.

11. Adam 1

Would a RCD have prevented this?

1. Mage Silver badge

RCD

Only if she was standing in a puddle in bare feet. RCD detects a mismatch in L & N current. If say the metal on an MP3 player connects to live (L) and the mesh on earphones connects to neutral (N) and you have insulating footware (most is unless hobnailed) then the RCD only sees a normal load while the poor human is toasted.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: RCD

Yes, a Type A or B 30mA RCD would probably have saved her life.

She would still have got a very nasty shock, it just wouldn't have lasted for as long. One hopes that it would be short enough duration not to kill.

Here's a YouTube video that shows why these s****y little USB chargers are so bloody dangerous - published UK mere days before this tragic event:

The cheap s****y pink USB charger

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Would a RCD (a.k.a. GFI) have prevented this?

A fault to ground is vastly more likely than a fault with the human caught between Hot and Neutral.

So yes, ...probably.

3. Clive Harris

Re: Would a RCD have prevented this?

It depends. The switch-mode power supply in these chargers runs at around 350v DC - the result of directly rectifying the mains, before feeding it into an isolated DC-DC converter. If the fault caused this DC voltage to appear on the output then the RCD may fail to respond. This is because some types of RCD don't always work when the fault current has a large DC component. They use a current transformer to measure the current difference between Live and Neutral, and a large DC component would make the transformer core saturate and reduce its sensitivity. The better RCDs do it electronically, which is more expensive.

12. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Two problems:

1) Fake CE marks

2) Crazy self certified CE marks (Amazon sell a Kindle charger with a CE mark that has USA twin Blade and breaks EMI /RFI limits. How can a USA only two blade plug PSU get a CE mark even though it does work on 240V?). Also Powerline/Homeplug tested on wrong basis of CE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two problems:

I really don't know why people are so hung up on CE marks. Anyone can put one of these marks on their product. Counterfeiters aren't exactly going to decide to stick to the rules are they?

If you buy a piece of electronics from a market stall, it's likely to be a knock-off, simple as that. People only do it because they're so much cheaper than the real product. You're never going to get rid of this market, you're never going to get rid of counterfeit goods, and the only way you're going to convince people to buy the real thing is to make it more affordable. Fix the price of official chargers so that the manufacturers make minimal profits. More people will buy the real thing, offsetting the profit reduction with volume and the market for knock-offs will still be there, but be much less attractive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I argued against the CE mark system when it was proposed as a replacement for the Kite Mark.

Under the old system, items were sent away to a government regulated testing centre.

Under the CE system the MAKER just has to say it has been tested and is OK, there is no requirement for an external test lab to look at it until it blows up and kills someone.

So it is no good saying it is the Chinese makers faking a CE certificate - ALL CE certificate are worthless.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

They're not "C E" marks. They're "CE" marks, "China Export".

Totally different. Not fake. Just different. Look it up to see the difference.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
        Boffin

@JeffyPoooh - "China Export" was a joke. It's not a real thing.

If you "make an item available for sale" in the EU, it must meet the requirements spelled out in the appropriate EU standards.

If you make it commercially available (ie selling it in shops), the entity making it available must affix the CE mark, and take personal responsibility for it meeting the appropriate regulations. This is usually either the importer (eg Tesco) or the manufacturer (eg Apple).

If it's a prototype, one-off or other very limited-run item, (eg custom-built in your shed for money) you don't have to affix a CE mark, but you do still have to make a "best effort" to meet the requirements.

It's just that an enforcement on a shed-built device wouldn't expect you to have done the more expensive testing, like EMC. They would still expect you to have followed the easily-checked requirements, like creepage, clearance, use of appropriate safety components, earthing metal cases, avoiding finger traps etc, and failing to do so could result in prosecution.

It doesn't matter if either of the above affixes a mark that looks like a CE mark but claims it meant something else - if the item doesn't meet the appropriate requirements, they have broken the law.

And if they do affix something that looks like the CE mark but claim it meant something else, they would immediately get done for "passing off", regardless of whether the device itself was bad.

13. HighTech4US

One says "electrocution" the other "only fire"

Did she die of electrocution or just a fire?

This story just states she died in a fire:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2352494/cheap-usb-chargers-are-a-real-danger

So why the different causes of death?

Which one is the real cause?

14. sikejsudjek

Had a usb charger explode recently that came with a cheap android tablet. They are out there... went off with quite a loud bang and blew the top half of the charger across the room.

15. Gannettt

"cheap electrical kit isn't worth the risk, so don't cost yourself your life by saving a few pennies"

I'm imagining a public information firm and ends with those words in stark white letters over a still of a dead, long-haired youth in flared trousers and tank top and being read out by Ray Brooks or Edward Judd.

16. Darren Sandford

Fake apple charger tear-down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE

This is why cheap fake chargers are bad. And because something looks the real deal, it might not be.

17. Trigun
    Mushroom

There's a number of issues that you have to deal with when it comes with cheaper/fake mains powered electronics: bad/poor design, bad/poor components, fake CE marks, not properly rated for the item being charged (so the charger heats up and catches fire if left on). Just for fun you can end up with a combo.

BTW, here's another good vid (from EEV blog) demonstrating cheaper/fake USB chargers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE

Personally, I never leave chargers on unattended (even the best can develope issues over time or if you're very unlucky) and I *never* buy cheap ones. The guy who posted earlier who said that it's just the likes of apple making money is probably only 10% correct. Do they make extra profit? Yes, I bet they do. Do they also design & test their gear so that it doesn't kill people? Again, I bet they do. Why? Who in apple (or any other reputable company) wants to see a headline "<company> kit burns down house, kills family of 4!!" or "<company> kit electrocutes man, 40!"?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is

Not just dodgy chargers, but substituting fake for genuine as happens frequently with Apple chargers.

Box gets opened, original charger gets taken out and sold for a premium and fake gets put back in.

Also a popular method is layering genuine on the top layer of a box of bulk packed fakes, to get around the "random opening by Customs" issue.

We demand that the same researchers who discovered how to identify if a nuclear weapon was empty or not for decommissioning purposes figure out how to use the same X-ray fingerprint technique to detect fake chargers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like