back to article NBN Co reveals THOUSAND-node FTTN trial built by Telstra

NBN Co has selected Telstra as the builder of a 200,000-premises pilot of fibre-to-the-node technology in order to pick the copper from its brains. NBN Co, the company charged with building and operating Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN), today said the carrier was chosen in order to "leverage Telstra’s expert …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Hamilton and Warner (assuming he means Warner's Bay?) as regional NSW ... obviously there is a different perspective from Bondi and NSW (that must stand for Newcastle, Sydney, and Wollongong) stops at the limits of the City Rail network ....

2. rtb61

So 6 months after killing fibre to the home the first trial begins. Everyone knows exactly what this is, a big show to pretend something is happening. Yep sure, the whole fibre to the node network will be finished by 2016. Now it's fibre to the node testing only and connecting to 'TELSTRAs' copper, they get to keep the last mile so double charges.

1. LaeMing
      Unhappy

It's just a big....

...post-political-retirement board position just waiting to happen.

2. Thorne

Fibre to the node is a total waste of time and money. The idiots should have left the NBN alone.

Again Australia is left with Telstra selling it's worn out, second rate copper system for a motza because it is a government created monopoly......

3. Diogenes

Great news for Gorokan

aka Mt Druitt by the Sea :-) .

The exchange there has heaps of problems. (Don't ask me how I know this)

4. carl0ski

interesting to know the ambient temperatures

Considering the examples given except some parts of the u.s. be interesting to know whether the operating temperature of the Alcatel can tolerate the 40c-50 temperatures of NSW and further north

What regions in the u.s. are these fttn boxes?

1. LaeMing
      Meh

Re: interesting to know the ambient temperatures

And the ones in Canberra don't stand a chance against all that hot air emanating from under the big clothesline.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

upstream?

And whats the upstream available on this kit? Is it worth the money? Will it be good enough in 10 years? 30? beyond?

6. AlexM

mongrels

200,000 customers handed to Telstra in contract! and they get paid for it... what a scam... meanwhile Telstra is suing NBNco for 150mil... and they still do business...

7. aberglas

Sensible plan.

Assuming that this actually gets built, it promises reasonable broadband at a reasonable cost. Hopefully it will be provided to people that otherwise have no or lousy broadband, rather than to inner city locations. It sounds like this approach will be delivered much sooner and at about 1/10th the cost.

Now, the idiocy of selling of the Telstra monopoly in the first place is a different is an entirely different matter. I hope and presume that other providers will be able to rent the Telstra DSLAM just as they currently do. It would be better if other providers could provide their own DSLAMs as well, within the Telstra cabinet. Or next to it. I personally am on an ADSL RIM which is essentially the same thing as what is being discussed here, although I am 6km away so get poor speed.

1. Thorne

Re: Sensible plan.

It isn't sensible. Once you're more than 300M away from the exchange, there is no improvement in speed so being 6km away, the NBN will do SFA for you, now and in the future.

Replacing copper with fibre is the only real option.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like