back to article How Microsoft's cloud aims to cover the world

Microsoft has a vision for the cloud. Anyone who has watched this session by the legendary Rick Claus from last year’s AUTechEd already has a basic idea of what this entails. Microsoft’s plan, dubbed the Cloud OS platform, rests on three pillars. These create a unified strategy that is changing the game and positioning the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

With Microsoft the best things come in threes....

Ctl-Alt-Del

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: With Microsoft the best things come in threes....

Microsoft do seem to have a much more user friendly and far better integrated cloud model than their only close rival in this space - Amazon.

2. RyokuMas
      Joke

Re: With Microsoft the best things come in threes....

... like Surfaces?

2. Sgt. Pinback

what is the meaning of cloud?

I think your definitions suck young man.

The word cloud has and does mean exactly nothing while trying to describe everything. It has come to replace the terms internet, hosted, virtualised, cluster, web service, blah blah blah farking blah. "Cloud computing" as a term is the closest I've heard to any of these tossed about cloudy pseudonyms that even begins to describe something remotely specific. Vendors abuse the term enormously and customers pay the price.

And to say someone doesn't have a private "cloud" for one reason or another is bollocks because the term means literally nothing specific at all. I can have a private freaking cloud running on my laptop, google has a cloud (seemingly) without virtualisation, I can have a single server with many virtual machines all managed and orchestrated by something like chef/ansible/puppet and call it a cloud as legitimately as someone like Microsoft does. Businesses across the world have had clouds for decades, they just used to call it a network.

I doubt I'm the only guy in the industry to be sick to death of the misuse of this word. Your article has just enforced the stupidity just a little bit more, well done.

(we are all dumber for having read your article, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul)

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: what is the meaning of cloud?

Whilst I agree with Sgt. Pinback here in many ways, what else is MS going to sell but but re-badged "technology" invented by others? Where is the innovation?

When I was a lad an Azure sky contained very wispy insubstantial clouds with a lot of blue.

2. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

Thank god, someone sensible at last. I agree with every word you said.

3. wigginsix

Hi Sarge,

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. Allow me to rebut.

"I think your definitions suck young man"

Yes. They probably do suck. Most of what I do sucks. I'm a terrible, terrible person for being incredibly bad at defining something that no two companies, let alone two professionals in the industry can agree on a solid definition for.

You are right about one thing though, using the term "cloud" without a definition is like using the word DevOps. It could literally mean anything. Was my definition an abject failure? Actually it wasn't because I was aware when writing it that it was a failure. What I gave you was a dig at the ludicrous meanings of cloud as deployed by vendors across the world. My sarcasm though, was apparently lost in translation. Mea Culpa.

So here's a definition of cloud you might be able to get behind.

"Cloud = "running workloads on $infrastrucutre in a HIGHLY AUTOMATED and ORCHESTRATED fashion" where $infrastructure's location and ownership dertermine the adjective used to describe the Cloud. (Public, Private, Service Provider, etc.)"

Then again you might not, because to use your very own examples, this means that your "single server with many virtual machines all managed and orchestrated by something like chef/ansible/puppet" qualifies as a cloud, while your "business network" does not. The business network might be managed, certainly, but they rarely meet level of orchestration that would qualify them as cloud environment. Then again you might have a network so supremely tuned and balanced with an unparalleled level of automation. If you do, then congratulations. I still won't ever refer to it as a cloud environment though.

So to sum up:

My definition sucked, you objected, but failed to add much of anything to the conversation. I rebutted, offering a different definition. Have I missed anything? Oh yes. Yes I have.

"(we are all dumber for having read your article, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul)"

Thanks for the parting shot. It must have been extremely difficult not to lead with it. I could take this criticism to heart. I could decide not to write any more articles. I could give it all up because apparently I will get not points for this effort. I could, but I won't. I won't because as you say at the start, I am a young man. I have at least 30-40 years left in this industry that I deeply love and because I care about the direction it's headed in I decided to get involved in the conversation. So I'll keep writing articles, learning, researching and getting better. One day I might write something you actually like. I sincerely hope not though, because no god I believe in would have mercy on my soul for that.

3. deadlockvictim

As usual security

Until Microsoft et al. can convince us that they won't drop their knickers to whatever state agency that wants them to, I won't trust them with my data in their public cloud.

1. WP7Mango

Re: As usual security

The point of cloud computing is that you don't need to trust them with your data. You can have a hybrid cloud solution where your data lives on-site at your premises while the rest of your infrastructure and services can live in the cloud, if you so choose. That's the beauty of Microsoft Azure's cloud services - YOU choose where your data lives, and YOU choose how to tailor the cloud IaaS and PaaS to meet your requirements.

4. jake Silver badge

Hmmmmm ...

"In its strictest terms, you have a private cloud only if none of the data goes outside your corporate firewall."

Bullshit. My personal firewallS utilize tehintrawebtubes for transport.

5. Psidum
    Angel

where do i sign up?

Being tied to Microsoft for services as well as tech. Sure, nothing negative has ever come out of such a relationship with Microsoft in the past. Their 'cloud' model is tried and tested technology with no reports of mishaps and issues.

A sound strategy for any business.

6. G R Goslin

A cloudy day in London Town

Does this mean that we're all going to be permanently in the dark?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like