back to article 32,000 motherboards spit passwords in CLEARTEXT!

Thousands of Supermicro baseboard management controllers (BMCs) continue to spit administrator passwords in cleartext after a patch described as unsuitable was not applied by admins. Accessing the machines could be dead simple for the tech savvy; vulnerable boxes would pop during a net or Shodan scan for port 49152. Any of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. batfastad

Eh?

Management stuff on the same switch/LAN as normal traffic? And exposed to the internet?

That sounds more like 32,000 sackings to me!

1. Norphy

Re: Eh?

I do agree with you but it's not always that simple. There are a lot of boards out there which pipe their IPMI and normal network traffic out over the same network port. If that's the case, you dont' have much choice but to run the management and data on the same LAN.

Unless you stick another NIC in the machine anyway.

1. Joe Montana

Aside from that, many hosting providers charge per port so having lights out on a separate nic would increase hosting costs.

Most IPMI controllers let you tag the traffic to put it on another VLAN, but again that depends on the hosting provider to configure their switches accordingly and in that case the host itself can still access the VLAN in question so if you compromise one box you can start attacking all the other IPMI devices (which are likely to be even more badly configured on the assumption they cant be directly reached from the internet).

Also if you have a box hosted far away from your physical location, having lights out is absolutely essential incase anything goes wrong... Most hosting providers offer a remote hands service but they are expensive and often not very capable.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"There are a lot of boards out there which pipe their IPMI and normal network traffic out over the same network port. "

Yes, generally Intel Vpro systems or servers

Supermicro systems normally use a sparate IPMI device and physical port.

In the very few cases where a completely separate IPMI connector isn't provided (some older systems using a specific IPMI plugin card which was last sold 8 years ago) then the IPMI ends on the motherboard's second ethernet port and prevents it being used by the OS.

2. dan1980

Maybe, but in many other instances it will sound much more like an IT tech trying to explain why THIS kind of thing is exactly the reason why he/she requested that $500 switch instead of the $200 one that the boss eventually bought from the local store.

Also consider that SuperMicro purchases may be skewed towards those trying to 'do more with less'. They have a large spread of options but they are a cheaper non-tier1 option.

1. Tom 38

it will sound much more like an IT tech trying to explain why THIS kind of thing is exactly the reason why he/she requested that $500 switch instead of the $200 one that the boss eventually bought from the local store.

What do you think happens in that scenario, PHB goes seppuku-o-clock, or shifts the blame to the vendors/beancounters?

1. Fatman

What do you think happens in that scenario, PHB goes seppuku-o-clock, or shifts the blame to the vendors/beancounters?

No, the PHB shifts blame to poor IT sod, who has no say in the matter just to save his ass!!!!

"Wot?????!! That slacker didn't tell me what could go wrong!! How was I supposed to know that?" or some shit like that!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Don't you mean 64k? Surely someone hired them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, it's not that bad. Supermicro IPMI is so buggy and crash-prone that it won't stay up long enough for the miscreants to do anything significant :D

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

If you thought Supermisco IPMI was bad, try using their blade chassis controllers or the horribly unstable Gb switches that are fitted into them.

It's a shame. SM make bloody good computers, but the firmware in their support hardware is invariably crap.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Trollface

@Alan

If you ask the official El Reg Supermicro champion (Trevor Pott), you'll find out that Supermicro HAD in the past an unstable IPMI implementation but it is now rock solid.

3. Mage Silver badge

worst access code

Actually Sage used to use "letmein" and often people didn't change this.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

This is why UFOs have dropped off the radar.

The anal probing in the 21st century is done online!

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

From the helpdesk of Doktor Freud...

The news follows revelations last week that 207,000 BMCs exposed to the pubic internet...

Erm...

6. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    FAIL

"internet of things"

Of course, this type of thing will all be a memory when/if the "internet of things" (I bloody hate that term, and now you've gone and made me use it for the first time - not once, but twice!) takes off, so we have nothing to worry about!

</sarcasm>

7. Nate Amsden

damn thing

I have a 1U server at a colo for my own personal stuff, and I could not tell if it was impacted or not the docs were not clear. So I decided to upgrade anyway just in case since it hadn't seen an IPMI update in about 3 years now.

This server is directly on the internet because well it's the only system there, I have contemplated putting a Soekris in front of it though my IP space is limited.

Supermicro sucks for not having changelogs on pretty much anything to start with.

Next off in their instructions they say in big red letters

"NOTE !!! Uncheck preserve configuration box during flashing (very important step for FW to work properly). All settings will be reset to default."

I was going from version 2.x to version 3.x if I recall right.

later on in the documentation it says

"1.8 Click < OK > System will reboot after upgrade complete. The web page will redirect to the login page automatically."

So that implies the web page will still work after the upgrade.

So I thought - this is Supermicro, so I'm thinking when they say "reset to default" that means what they say. Which means once this thing reboots there is no more connectivity to IPMI and I have to go on site to fix it.

But I thought, maybe.. just maybe..they preserve the IP address info and perhaps authentication info.

NOPE!

I clicked upgrade, it upgraded, and rebooted, and well that was about 3 hours ago and the ipmi is not responding to pings even.

Fortunately the data center is only about a 45 minute drive away w/o traffic and I am not in any urgent rush to get it fixed I can fix it on the weekend.

But just goes to show, you get what you don't pay for..

I can live with it for my own personal stuff but wouldn't use this in a business of course (I have used supermicro off and on for the past 11 years, so this experience is par for the course for me).

8. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

2.4?

"Many of the total pool ran old Linux kernel versions: 23,380 operated on 2.4.31.x, 112,883 on 2.4.30.x kernel, and 710,046 systems maintained 2.4.19.x."

Those are old kernels. What are these systems?

The tramp: If it works... but then again...

9. Dave Hilling

I have never used supermicro servers but if its running on port 49152 that their firewalls arent blocking it or there is no firewall at all or am I missing something? Either way if its those too yeah sackings were already required.

10. cyberelf
    Facepalm

Intelligent Design?

"Supermicro motherboards contain a binary file that stores remote login passwords in clear text and the file is available for download simply by connecting to the specific port, 49152."

What moron designed in such a feature?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Intelligent Design?

To get an answer to your question, let me connect you to a helpdesk a few time zones away.

1. Rick Giles
        Pirate

Re: Intelligent Design?

"To get an answer to your question, let me connect you to a helpdesk a few time zones away."

GMT + or GMT - ?

11. Binnacle
    FAIL

no fix for H8DG6-F

SM has not posted a revised firmware for their H8DG6-F mainboard. Is vulnerable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like