back to article Broadband bumpkin BONANZA: 8 altnets shortlisted for £10m UK.gov subsidy

The government has earmarked a £10m wad of broadband cash for eight outfits whose bids were shortlisted for what the Ministry of Fun described as the "feasibility stage" to bring faster internet connections to hard-to-reach parts of Blighty. It said the Tory-led Coalition was "focusing on exploring ways to reach those premises …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. zaax

No mention of church.net - using church towers and mircowave

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably because they don't exist yet.

(webpage under construction, can't find it on google, only mention of the tech is the odd church trialling using a high power wireless antenna to help improve broadband for the local parish)

1. rhydian

Also, Most churches aren't exactly bristling with connectivity (a few I know of have no mains electricity or water/drainage installs of any kind)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Please see icon.....

Churches and connectivity.....priests and a broadband connection....what's the worst that could happen?

2. Bill Buchan

Oh - not heard of that.

Any time I've tried to get some wifi stuff on a Church up here in Scotland, its taken 6 months for a reply from the Church of Scotland. And usually the answer 'no'.

---* Bill

http://www.marykirk.com

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh - not heard of that.

And yet, if you walk in with a cherub faced choirboy, they are all over you like an octopus...er...hold on, that might be the Catholic church.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hard-to-reach?

Apart from (maybe) the Highlands & Islands, there really isn't any part of our small, overpopulated islands that's truly hard-to-reach by international standards. Can't-be-bothered-to-reach is more like it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hard-to-reach?

Probably more accurate to say "can't be reached economically".

If the cost of reaching a community is too high it means that the price will be too high for people to want to pay or the service gets sold at a loss. If the former is true - why build something no-one can afford - and if the latter is true - BT gets sued for anti-competitive behaviour because how could anyone compete with an incumbent selling below cost?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Hard-to-reach?

> BT gets sued for anti-competitive behaviour because how could anyone compete with an incumbent selling below cost?

I suspect that this is one of the reasons why the preference for these area's seems to be for some form of co-operative using a social investment model. The shame is that the government could of used this for the entire BDUK project...

3. phil dude
    Coat

they can start with....

Oxford then.

P.

4. Only me!
    Happy

Great news

It will be a good chance to develop UK technology companies and a great way for them to consider expanding and under cutting BT in the cities in future! But only after connecting the people BT do not consider worthy......mind you not sure BT consider any customer worthy!!!!!

5. JohnMurray

One can but hope that my ¨hard to reach¨ village will be reached by over-600Kb/sec internet soon. After all, it´s only been three years since they planted fibre right through the place.....still only got copper though..

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Wow, they actually gave out some cash to someone *not* BT

Let's see if this works.

(cautious) thumbs up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like