back to article Snowden's HELPING public clouds says VMware hybrid head

VMware's senior veep and general manager for Hybrid Cloud Service Bill Fathers has told the Gigaom Structure conference that Edward Snowden's revelations about NSA snoopery have turned out to be a good thing for the hybrid cloud. In an interview visible here Fathers, at about the five minute mark, says the NSA's activities are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's In A Name?

"Hybrid Cloud Service Bill Fathers". They could have thought up a more catchy and less clunky name than that.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"there is now universal acceptance"

Nope, not here there isn't.

And saying that just after what happened to Code Spaces is unfortunate timing at its best.

The Cloud is still an unsecure, unreliable thing over which even paying customers have very little control and even less guarantee.

Sorry, but no cigar.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "there is now universal acceptance"

I couldn't agree more with you Mr. Monett. Unlike this statement:

"you started out scared by the NSA but now you are awed by the power of web-scale operators

Code Spaces were a web-scale operator. Awed would definitely not be my first choice of description.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "there is now universal acceptance"

the Cloud = NSA, GCHQ

workaround is obviously to host one's Cloud data outside of the problem areas, if possible

Snowden's latest release

https://prod01-cdn00.cdn.firstlook.org/wp-uploads/sites/1/2014/06/sigint-partners.png

narrows that down to:-

NOT US

NOT UK

NOT CAN

NOT AUS

NOT NZ

NOT ALGERIA

NOT AUSTRIA

NOT BELGIUM

NOT CROATIA

NOT CZECH REPUBLIC

NOT DENMARK

NOT ETHIOPIA

NOT FINLAND

NOT FRANCE

NOT GERMANY

NOT GREECE

NOT HUNGARY

NOT INDIA

NOT ISRAEL

NOT ITALY

NOT JAPAN

NOT JORDAN

NOT KOREA (S?)

NOT MACEDONIA

NOT NL

NOT NORWAY

NOT PAKISTAN

NOT POLAND

NOT ROMANIA

NOT KSA

NOT SINGAPORE

NOT SPAIN

NOT SWEDEN

NOT THAILAND

NOT TUNISIA

NOT TURKEY

NOT UAE

ho hum, well at least Cloud was an interesting concept for a short while. BTW an high-faluting officer of the Bank of Engerland confirms this! http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/cloud-computing/3525607/cloud-opens-up-uk-firms-data-cia-spies-warns-bank-of-england-cio/

3. hj

"Initial reactions, he says, were strongly negative as customers felt “this is the death knell of public cloud.” Today, Fathers says, “there is now universal acceptance that public clouds will outstrip data centers in terms of performance, security and economics.”

What a load of Boll*cks!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds like a puppet

The Snowden impact and the impact that has had on the conversations we are having with clients has been fascinating

hmmm a true technical person or a sales guy ? conversations with clients is a sales guy not a techie

Why are we taking this from a sales guy on a techie site, shouldn't this article be on somewhere like the bbc or daily mail ?

5. Arctic fox
    WTF?

I have seen some fairly eye-crossing examples of whistling in the dark in my time but.........

..........that chap's comments take the biscuit!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware and RSA: Both owned by EMC

Coincidence? Trusted? Hmmmmmm?

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

It's dark

Is that someone I hear whistling?

8. Armchair Commentator

security and economics

“there is now universal acceptance that public clouds will outstrip data centers in terms of performance, security and economics.” ... I'm doubt Code Spaces would agree.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like