back to article THREE'S A CLOUD! Microsoft veep says only Azure, Amazon, Google can do hyper space

There are only three companies capable of delivering hyperscale cloud computing, the head of Microsoft’s Azure declared yesterday. After years of cloud tub-thumping, it was inevitable that marketers would need a new modifier or level of hyperbole, and “hyper” is the obvious next choice. Definitions are elastic, but it's agreed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely they didn't mean Google? They are way, way behind Amazon and Microsoft in this space.

1. Tim Brown 1

In terms of technology, Google are possibly way ahead of Amazon and Microsoft, simply because of what they have developed to run their own applications.

Microsoft would be the one I'd put a distant third in this race.

1. WP7Mango

The correct order...

The correct order in terms of current market share is (in descending order of size) -

1. Amazon

2. Microsoft

3. Google

In terms of technology, they are all about the same, although I think Microsoft are currently slightly ahead.

In terms of growth, Microsoft appears to be leading.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: The correct order...

I challenge you on the technology bit. And the growth bit. Both crowns belong to Google.

2. Richard Wharram

100,000 cores?

Cores or vCores?

They will be contested surely.

3. channel extended
    Flame

Marketing is news?

First we have a phrase that means nothing, it just sounded cool so marketing ran with it. CLOUD.

Now we have another marketing phrase that means even less. HYPERCLOUD.

Next we need to announce the newer and betterer. META-VARIABLE-SUPER-HYPER-CLOUD.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Marketing is news?

Exacloud, surely...

1. Hardcastle the ancient

Re: Exacloud

Didn't Fred Hoyle write a novel about that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like