back to article Huawei WILL make a comeback to US market, policy wonk predicts

A senior member of a prestigious US think tank has predicted the US government will eventually cave in and roll out the red carpet to Chinese networking giant Huawei. Darrell West, VP and director of governance studies at the Brookings Institution, made the call in an analysis of IT globalization and innovation at a conference …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

I think that both the US political establishment and the US enterprise sector...........

.............have found themselves in a very embarrassing and potentially very costly pickle in the wake of the Snowden affair. During the last few years (pre-Snowden) it was becoming very obvious that the American political establishment and their paymasters friends in the US enterprise sector were using security concerns (both genuine and bogus) as a way of reintroducing a degree of protectionism via the backdoor which otherwise would be illegal under various international trade treaties that the US (ironically enough) had vigorously campaigned for during the last decade of the previous century. Given what World+Wife+dog now know about what the NSA have been up to, the American enterprise sector and their political cheerleaders are facing the serious prospect that individual firms outside of the US will start to avoid doing business with them where they can and that governments will start to regard US firms (as well as the American Spookerati) as a security threat that they would wish to avoid even if they at the same time do not wish to confront the US directly. The situation is starting to rebound on them in ways that they did not anticipate. I suspect that a great deal of rowing backwards will, albeit slowly, become visible in the medium term.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

US government will eventually cave in and roll out the red carpet to the Chinese...

Of course they will... since China pratically owns half the US...

3. Chad H.

If I was Huweii, I'd play the US ban as a strength "the reason why they blocked us is because we refused to put their back doors in it."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't see why?

All the NSA had to do was find the existing hooks and use them.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: I don't see why?

I take it you mean the existing hooks in Cisco, Juniper, etc. They've been providing those hooks for years as an unwritten condition of their own US market share. Probably Huawei's real sin was failing to offer such hooks.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: I don't see why?

Hook sin Huawei gear? Hmm?

Prove it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like