back to article Google slings SSD persistent disks at huge 'n' hungry servers

Google has given admins a far faster medium to store data in when fiddling around with servers on its cloud. The advertising company turned cloud-slinger announced on Monday that it is adding SSD persistent disks to its cloud, along with multi-data center load balancing. By doing this, Google has given admins a way to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

90 iops is high?

Confused I am.

Havent tried to verify because public cloud is a waste of my time but just seems odd in the world where people quote 10s of thousands of iops on a ssd that this gives you the same number as a 7200 rpm disk.

Maybe thats what it takes to get predictable performance in a public cloud.

1. James 100

Re: 90 iops is high?

If it's 30 IOPS per gigabyte, that's something like a 1Tb 30,000 IOPS drive; a quick glance at an 'enterprise' SSD catalogue shows me things like Intel's S3500 and S3700 drives at 800 Gb and 75,000 IOPS, so RAID10 and a bit of overhead would fit pretty closely for that.

Yes, a single 7200rpm drive can match the request rate of a 3Gb slice of that SSD, but your 50 or 100 Gb chunk won't be a dedicated drive of your own: you'll be sharing that capacity with a dozen other virtual machines, so if they all hit the disk too you'd be lucky to get 5 IOPS average.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 90 iops is high?

The figures quoted seem to be IOPS/GB. This page has more info

https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/disks

So, max read/write IOPS/volume/VM with SSD are 10k/15k versus 3k/15k with standard volumes.

2. fearnothing

Kudos on the Queen reference, sub-ed. I know you have to do something to stave off the boredom of YASS[1].

[1] Yet Another Storage Story

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

They did also set up the opportunity for a "Google's Alive!?" joke.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Encrypted?

Why bother when Google have the key?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's see,,,

You pay Google for the privilege of allowing both them and the NSA to be able to read your data?

... cue Monty Python's "Four Yorkshire Men" sketch.

5. Benchops

Subtitle brought back great memories!

Haven't read the article, but can't help saying

"Send out the AJAX to brrwing back his <body>"

6. Joerg

With SSD only the failure rate is sky high!

SSD failure rate even on the most expensive SLC drives/devices it's in the range of a whole sector... which means usually 512bit (a typical sector) every 10E17 bits ... which is a failure rate 512 times higher than 1 bit every 10E17 bits for enterprise class Hard Disk drives !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like