back to article VMware puts a price on NSX and tells partners to open fire

VMware's NSX network virtualisation software has been added to the company's price list, a small-but-important milestone that sees the product available to resellers for the first time. Virtzilla announced NSX last August and released it in October of the same year, but until now has only sold it direct to customers. VMware …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. E1d0g
    Trollface

NSX is a registered trademark?

Always wanted a Honda NSX, would be funny if someone a VMWare has dropped one

http://www.trademarkdirect.co.uk/registry/ctm/nsx-003306636

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Versus Hyper-V Server which is completely free and has had a fully funtioning SDN stack for a couple of years now! And that doesnt require proprietary hardware.

Good luck with that VMWare....

1. RegHandle0010

SDN by MSFT! Really?!

You must be kidding! Microsoft has been had an SDN solution and the technical world didn’t know about? 2 years. Hey genius, let’s know about it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: SDN by MSFT! Really?!

You mean that YOU didn't know about it. Lots of enterprises are already using it. See http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2012/08/22/software-defined-networking-enabled-in-windows-server-2012-and-system-center-2012-sp1-virtual-machine-manager.aspx

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Distributed switch" != SDN. There's a little more to NSX than what MS is peddling...

1. TheVogon

Yes there is. You have to buy lots of proprietary hardware and software licenses to implement NSX, but not with Microsoft's SDN. Other than that the capabilities are very similar.

3. Stu H

Hyper-V is free & MS SDN

Hyper-V is free hummm next you will tell us that OpenStack is free.........! I'm sure you have to buy a massive MS EA full of shelfware to get that for free and yes we are talking about the version that is actually useful for a Enterprise <:@)

Do you know how I can prove to you that MS don't have a SDN stack, because Cisco don't see them as a threat and oh lets look and the Gartner Magic Quadrant for data centre networking..

http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1TDGZJW&ct=140423&st=sb

Oh, I see VMware and I don't see MS clearly Gartner are wrong ;)

1. TheVogon

Re: Hyper-V is free & MS SDN

"I'm sure you have to buy a massive MS EA full of shelfware to get that for free and yes we are talking about the version that is actually useful for a Enterprise"

Wrong. The complete fully featured Hyper-V Server product is totally free:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/dn205299.aspx

1. Stu H

you have to by the management tools to make it useful and you have to by the support to make it useful and you have to support it! So to an enterprise isn't free, so Hyper-V isn't free.

Really that statement is just a lot of marketecture and has no refection of the the true TCO, no grown up right minded person thinks that anything worth having is free.... and more so no enterprise believes that!

1. TheVogon

"you have to by the management tools to make it useful"

No you don't - its fully locally and remotely manageable by Powershell and you can access ALL capabilities without paying anything - or use any other solution you want such as OpenStack, etc.

"and you have to by the support to make it useful"

Most companies will already be paying for Microsoft support. As Hyper-V server is totally free, there is no additional cost for maintenance. There are free support forums, etc too.

"and you have to support it!""

Quite - and with Hyper-V that's generally far simpler and with a lower TCO than with say vSphere.

4. Stu H

Hyper-V is free & MS SDN

Hyper-V is free hummm next you will tell us that OpenStack is free.........! I'm sure you have to buy a massive MS EA full of shelfware to get that for free and yes we are talking about the version that is actually useful for a Enterprise <:@)

Do you know how I can prove to you that MS don't have a SDN stack because Cisco don't see them as a threat and oh lets look and the Gartner Magic Quadrant for data centre networking..

http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1TDGZJW&ct=140423&st=sb

Oh, I see VMware and I don't see MS clearly Gartner are wrong ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Oh, I see VMware and I don't see MS clearly Gartner are wrong"

Clearly you are not senior enough to actually have a Gartner account yourself or you would appreciate that companies have to PAY to be in the list...Microsoft have obviously chosen not to as datacentre networking is not a core business.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Hyper-V networking is to SDN as Tintri is to software defined storage. You can call it that if you want, but then you look at Datacore (for storage) or NSX (for networking) and you realise that you're note even playing the same game, let alone in the same arena.

1. TheVogon

LOL - we know how little you know about Hyper-V from your laughable 'training' where you didn't even understand the difference between Hyper-V Server and Hyper-V running under Windows Server.

Hyper-V SDN does everything that most people need in the SDN space (and is fully extensible if you need more - for instance there are various Open vSwitch options are available). Not to mention that it's been in production use for over 2 years now.

The big differences are that Hyper-V Server SDN is FREE and is STANDARDS BASED (It will run over your current network infrastructure)

NSX COSTS LOTS, and is PROPRIETARY - You have to run specific hardware!

1. Stu H

So clearly your understanding of SDN is as flawed as your belief in my understanding of Hyper.

SDN is about reaching feature parity with what available from a physical network, ergo its about putting the same intelligence available in the physical network in software. So, with Hyper-v you are have to still invest in the same old 3 tier physical network which is free right? Again TCO!

Proprietary I guess these all are and all support nsx:

Dell, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Arista Networks, Cumulus Networks, Brocade, palo alto networks, Juniper and Cisco.

2. Stu H

"Clearly you are not senior enough to actually have a Gartner account yourself or you would appreciate that companies have to PAY to be in the list...Microsoft have obviously chosen not to as datacentre networking is not a core business."

I'm sorry but, if MS had half a chance of being in there they would! It would suit the tick box architecture they currently market.

Antivirus is far from the core of MS business but, they bothered there because they could ;) well there a challenger anyway....

http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1PCNX43&ct=140109&st=sb

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Antivirus is far from the core of MS business"

Wrong. Firstly Forefront is now included as part of SCCM - which has millions of deployed seats - and almost every enterprise uses. Secondly Microsoft make lots selling Forefront for Exchange, SharePoint, OCS, Exchange cloud, etc...

Certainly a lot more relevant than Microsoft integrated SDN support is worth shelling out bundles for in a Magic Quadrant for 'Datacentre Networking' that they would likely only be slightly above VMWare (who are down the bottom) in.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. TheVogon

I didn't actually say that, but sure it's important - SDN is vital to Azure for a start. And Microsoft have at least a 2 year head start on VMWare in this space.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like