back to article Want to tell the world how IT really works? Tell us first

When it comes to working out how enterprise IT really works, who do you speak to first? Easy. Reg readers. That’s why we’ll be holding the first of a series of live Register events for senior IT decision-maker readers on July 8. We will be meeting at the Soho Hotel in central London, and our question for the day will be: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Swings and roundabouts

It's an old cartoon, older than the internet, but still sums up the world of IT just as well as when I first saw this 30 <ahem> years ago.

http://www.businessballs.com/treeswing.htm

Apropos the question the governor or the governed

The answer is: both. IT has a parasitic relationship with "the business". Neither side can exist without the other, which is probably why both sides hold each other in such disdain.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Swings and roundabouts

Many a true word said in jest.

Unfortunately in this world, the decision makers invariably have no grasp of the business or technology they are making decisions about. The same goes for politicians.

Double unfortunately, the developers are usually just as much in the dark about the end user requirements, only guided by their immediate manager.

I've done my fair bit of freelance work, and always try to spend some time with the real end user, watching how they currently do things, and taking notes on anything which currently causes them aggravation. Sometimes this request is seen as "strange", but a couple of minutes explaining the damage that the Chinese whispers can cause usually does the job.

2. Eponymous Cowherd
    Facepalm

Hmmm......

"Senior IT decision makers"?

Kind of like inviting NHS managers to a symposium on the latest techniques in heart surgery.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Want to tell the world how IT really works?

I'll correct:

"Want to tell the world how you think IT really works, no matter how far detached from reality it is?"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Topics to talk about?

Everything in this essay:

http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like