back to article Twitter for iOS embraces Bing Translate in time for World Cup 2014

Just in time for the multilingual, global sportsgasm that is World Cup 2014, Twitter has added Bing Translate to its iOS apps for Apple's iPad and iPhone. Twitter with Bing Translate Spanish? No problema. Turkish? Büyük sorun. (click to enlarge) It's another iOS win for Microsoft's Bing. Last week, Apple SVP for internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bigtimehustler

Thats a huge shame because as someone who has many foreign friends, bing translate is vastly inferior to google translate at everyday language of different countries. Big mistake, made for commercial and allegiance reasons rather than the right reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately, that is also my experience. While Google translate has issues with slang and abbreviations, Bing translate has issues with almost everything in most languages outside of German, Spanish and French. For those three it is almost at Google level. Don't take my word for it, just try on Facebook to use the translate link to try to understand Dutch, or Slovenian, or Croatian...

2. Stuart Elliott

But does it translate the biggest one?

From SOCCER to FOOTBALL ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't believe Appple....

Well I hope there is a Google App to switch all search results on an Apple IOS device over to google, I would pay for that.

I have been paying the MS Mafia for a long time and I am tired of it, I don't want to give MS another dime or Kudos. How many times would Ford have went out of business for introducing Sh!t cars like the exploding Pinto? MS has enough of our cash that they can just keep churning out turds and some people just keep buying them and say well maybe at version 2, 3 or 4 it will finally be good or great.

Maybe it is time to abandon Apple and go the Android route for phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and TV....

1. Mark #255
      Facepalm

Re: I can't believe Appple....

This isn't Apple, it's Twitter.

Twitter on Android also has a bing translate link. Amusingly, it tries to automagically guess when translation is needed; unfortunately, it doesn't exclude URLs, so you get

<cat picture>

_Translate from Romanian_

4. gjw

Bing & Google

are both unusable when it comes to anything other than simple 'unambiguous' sentences and professional lingo like the stuff found in standard contracts, waivers, technical manuals and such like. Google doesn’t even do Android translations well.

Crippled horses for crippling courses, as it were.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like