back to article Angelina Jolie 2.0 NOT an inspiration for Huawei phones, says exec

Huawei’s head of mobile phone design reassured journalists last week that its future phones and tablets will look nothing like Angelina Jolie. Or, at least, nothing like the current incarnation of the stick-thin, slightly scary actress-turned-humanitarian crusader. Joon Kim, who oversaw the design of the P7 (which El Reg has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Asymmetry

Throw in a few of those back tattoos for some asymmetry and things start to look interesting.

2. BlueGreen

Angelina Jolie

We could talk about her attempt to end the acceptability of rape as a weapon or means of oppression, and to try to suggest that the rapist should carry the blame rather than the woman raped. But why bother? Well done Joe Fay, go for stick-thin, slightly scary, her lips, her eyes, fashion & that really important shit.

Slow fucking handclap.

1. Diogenes
      Paris Hilton

Re: Angelina Jolie

It doesn't matter if she is a loon - as long as she supports the "right" causes with her all expenses paid "time". Honestly with the money she and "hubby" make they could have actually done something practical and paid for mercenaries to go in after "the girls"

Do I sound cynical - you betcha - a colleague used to work in a camp visited by Jolie, lets say she (the colleague) is not a fan.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

"It doesn't matter if she is a loon - as long as she supports the "right" causes with her all expenses paid "time"."

It's almost certainly unachievable, but are you basically saying ending sexual violence against women isn't one of the "right" causes?

"Honestly with the money she and "hubby" make they could have actually done something practical and paid for mercenaries to go in after "the girls"""

Yes, because what could possibly have gone wrong with that? Incidentally "why" are you randomly "emphasising" words with quotation marks?

"Do I sound cynical - you betcha - a colleague used to work in a camp visited by Jolie, lets say she (the colleague) is not a fan."

Oh well then, that settles that.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Goat Jam

@BlueGreen

Dude, your White Knight reflex is in hyper-drive. Maybe you should wind it back a bit eh?

1. BlueGreen
        Pint

Re: @BlueGreen

@Goat Jam

You could have a point, dude.

my chillin' medicine ----------------------->

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I consider her as one of the more classic beauties, and I prefer to look at eyes that have a brain behind them. Quite a few that populate the walkway are good looking, but have little depth to them. I would give Angeline Jolie a massive upvote quite simply because she does what she says, and has actively using her fame to do good more or less from the day she became famous. If you don't let yourself be distracted by the beauty that meets your eye you will realise that there is a heck of a lot more to Angelina Jolie.

What I also like is that she's perfectly OK with taking the mick out of her features. Maleficent is a good example of that - that was seriously well done.

4. Nuke
      FAIL

@BlueGreen - Re: Angelina Jolie

"We could talk about her attempt to end the acceptability of rape ..But why bother? go for stick-thin, slightly scary, her lips, her eyes, fashion & that really important shit."

This is an article about style and appearances, so AJ being stick-thin and scary is more significant in this context than her political views etc. But in fact her being a "humanitarian crusader" *was* mentioned.

As for your being sarky about "fashion and that important shit", then Whoooosh, did it go over your head that the article is in fact poking some fun at that shit already? It is Huawei who are spouting the fashion bullshit here, and El Reg is mearly reporting what Huawei presented, with some added subtle ridicule.

Anyway, are we obliged, any time some celeb's name is mentioned, to become a vehicle for their political and social views? I once got my name in a national paper among the sports results, but I didn't expect them to start conveying my political views while they were at it.

AJ is an actress. I give her credit as an actress (though not my type as a "beauty"). But WTF should I place any more weight on her political opinions than any other random person? Is she supposed to have an IQ of 200 or something?

1. BlueGreen

Re: @BlueGreen - Angelina Jolie

> Anyway, are we obliged, any time some celeb's name is mentioned, to become a vehicle for their political and social views?

It's not her view but her actions. She went out and did something to fix the world, which I respect hugely.

> As for your being sarky about "fashion and that important shit", then Whoooosh, did it go over your head that the article is in fact poking some fun at that shit already?

You know, I think you're totally right :)

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

This article reads like the backstory on a creepy super-villian that collects human faces. I can't seem to find anything online backing it up, though. El Reg?

4. Dave 126

Cindy Crawford...

...would have made a better example, famous as she was a mole that brought asymmetry to her face. Okay, she isn't as famous now as she was when certain hormones first started to make me aware of such things a couple of decades ago.

'Beauty spots' - fake moles - were once the height of fashion in another century. Perhaps the idea was that a small imperfection highlights the attractive features.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction

Huawei’s head of mobile phone design reassured journalists last week that its future phones and tablets will look nothing like Angelina Jolie. Or, at least, nothing like the current incarnation of the stick-thin, slightly scary actress-turned-humanitarian crusader.

@Joe Fay:

That's Dame stick-thin-slighty-scary-actress-turned-humanitarian-crusader Angelina Jolie to you

1. Julian Bradfield

Re: Correction

As any fule know, honorary knights and dames do not have the title "Sir" or "Dame". You mean:

that's stick-thin-slighty-scary-actress-turned-humanitarian-crusader Angelina Jolie DBE to you.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Bill B

Well, that managed to combine both the superiority of your faith with a sideswipe at our Queen. I am SO glad I'm not a Quaker and from your comments, have no wish to be within a hundred miles of one.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, that managed to combine both the superiority of your faith with a sideswipe at our Queen. I am SO glad I'm not a Quaker and from your comments, have no wish to be within a hundred miles of one.

I'm sure they're quaking in their boots now

(sorry) :)

I don't take the actions/statement of a lone individual representative of the collective unless they voted for that person or chose that person collectively. But that's just my own opinion, not backed up by any creed, religion or political direction - I'm annoying by personal choice, and don't see the need to blame anyone or anything else for that :)

6. Yoru

Angelina seems to be taking a bit of a subliminal media wake from some quarters, where the Guardian has portrayed her as an old hump back woman.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/13/angelina-jolie-dame-queens-birthday-honours-list

7. Scroticus Canis
    Facepalm

So no "jubs as buttons" on the phone then?

Think my fellow commentards have missed the main point to be derived from Huawei's briefing.

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Re: So no "jubs as buttons" on the phone then?

"Think my fellow commentards have missed the main point to be derived from Huawei's briefing."

Hard to say. The article merely told us about some chap giving a presentation about everything he's learned from "The Great Big Pop-up Book of Design Clichés".

I'm not sure why this is news. Anyone can take an industrial design course and learn about this stuff.

Will we be seeing articles about CEOs who've just learned how the Internet is this big thing that's full of pipes that all the cool kids are using these days?

8. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

Forgot all about that movie

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow!"

Never did get to see it. Looked like a perfect B movie.

Funny how that's the only thing I got from this article.

1. MichaelBirks

Re: Forgot all about that movie

It's worth checking out for Jolie-as-prototype-Honor-Harrington alone,but also the great riffs on the long British military tradition of flying aircraft carriers.

Spectrum is Green.

2. veti Silver badge

Re: Forgot all about that movie

I'd forgotten all about it, and I did see it.

Yes, it's a perfect B movie. That is to say - not worth going to see in its own right, but if you're at the cinema anyway then meh, what the hell.

9. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

I remember a Coke bottle in the style of Pamela Anderson, but I don't know that there ever was a phone that looked like Angelina Jolie.

So really, it seems like a bit of a random statement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like