back to article Japan's DOCOMO suggests wearable SIM cards

Japanese mobile carrier DoCoMo has come up with an interesting idea: a wearable SIM card that authenticates all your devices on its network under a single account. The company says the portable SIM is currently a “pocketsize mini device” but that “further downsizing” will deliver “convenient wearable devices”. Those devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

sounds good.

I can think of some questions, but the main one is: Are they going to hire the same company to make the tv commercial that did this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM2sI8JpMU

2. Chairo
    Unhappy

You just might offer your customers

Multiple SIMs, so they can use them in multiple devices. Much easier and already readily available. Alternatively a mobile router might do the job. You can get a data SIM only deal for reasonable money in Japan. Much cheaper than getting a contract from the AU/Docomo/Softbank pigopoly.

Oh, I see - that's probably part of the problem they are trying to solve...

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Activate smug mode

I called this over a year ago:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1700132 (sixth post from the top)

"Doesn't have to be a ring... this person has a chip implanted (but then so does my dog) to give him quick instant access top a child-proof gun safe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxNjqN4Gdc0

Bit too far for my taste. It could easily be retrofitted to a wristwatch (or its strap) though ...

With a ring, the logical conclusion is that any device you pick up temporarily becomes 'yours'. Pick up any phone, and it will be your contacts and emails displayed."

end smug mode

4. Tony W

Security?

With one device to access all the PCs, phones, tablets etc. on which you have accounts, you'd better look after it well. Unless it really is implanted. The way some crooks work, if is is implanted, probably not a good idea to have it too deep.

And how long before someone works out a way of cloning, it, as is done with radio car keys?

5. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Why bluetooth? Surely this would be the ideal use-case for NFC?

1. sabroni Silver badge

RTA

Looks like the devices use NFC to handshake and initiate the bluetooth connection, which stays up until the device goes out of range.

6. Bronek Kozicki
    Facepalm

Security nightmare

I can imagine this happening to clients:

Boy asks his girlfriend: hand me my phone, will you?

Some time later after breakup: I've got all your contacts copied to my phone and will stalk you forever

Unless of course they make it secure, because we all know that technology companies have security of their users always in the first place, right?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Great...

Yet another way to give everybody a unique identifier that of course

would never be abused...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If...

If it tries to hand-shake with any phone-like device around it, it won't be secure. Ever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like