back to article Poison PDF pusher released to public

Attacking enterprises just got easier with the development of an idiot-friendly tool that spits out booby-trapped PDFs with a few clicks. The tool weaves existing exploits into PDFs, allowing attacks against Adobe Reader and Acrobat versions 8.x prior to 8.2.1 and 9.x before 9.3.1. Users can insert their own URL pointers into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"SecRecon freelance security bod Claes Spett developed the tool while building a private exploit kit to help him pop organisations during penetration tests."

Is it just my dirty mind, or is that sentence rather suggestive?

1. Elmer Phud
      Headmaster

Would you prefer they surreptitiously inserted it through a backdoor?

2. Elmer Phud

Just Acrobat?

If so then I'm happy (but will check to see if there's an update for Foxit)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just Acrobat?

Always happy to have yet another reason to avoid software from them..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just Acrobat?

"but will check to see if there's an update for Foxit"

I use Foxit too. But considering it's Chinese software, they won't need a booby trapped file to examine your and my files.....

3. Tom 7

The only safe PDF

is the text and images it was made from - which are normally a lot more useful than the resulting PDF!

4. Bronek Kozicki
    Linux

Did you patch ...

... your programs today?

Honestly, people should be taught not only how to patch, but also the importance of doing it regularly. Linux icon, because its packaging systems makes it sooo much easier than Windows.

5. banjomike

Microsoft blocked it FOUR YEARS ago...

Are there any anti-virus packages which don't block it?

6. Infernoz Bronze badge

Why do many people even use Adobe Reader

Sumatra is so much better for general use and even keeps track of the last page viewed, of many documents, in it's config, so that you can carry on reading where you left off, say after a reboot for Windows cruftdate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Why do many people even use Adobe Reader

How about it being the last ditch tool to use when Calibre's eReader (I like its cataloging), Tomahawk, Sumatra, Foxit, and the rest here fail to render properly or Adobe specific functions are invoked. BTW, that's very rare and only one with my own collection, not some file that is recent, even from "known" sources. I don't accept mailed files, period. Yeah, I'm a founding member of the T-Foil-Hat Brigade.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like