back to article HP unveils federated backup that won't get your back up ... it hopes

Meg Whitman's mega firm is federating backup appliances to ease the pain of managing multiple silos and claims management overhead is reduced by 75 per cent through no more "physical mapping of backup jobs to individual backup appliances". The news came at HP’s Discover bash in Las Vegas, where it unveiled StoreOnce Federated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andysparkes

Federated catalyst does allow dedupe across a number of stores but its power is in the virtualization of stores, a single store can be created that can be subsequently extended vastly increasing the flexibility and simplicity of management, The virtualization also means that ultimately the stores can exist anywhere. Together with the HA capabilities of the 6500, its certainly true that HP is taking a different tack than EMC, its solving the problem of a series of point products with a seamless, scalable and virtualized software architecture.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

global dedupe

Hi, does using a globally acceptable hash function such as SHA-256 make sense to deploy global deduplication.

1. andysparkes

Re: global dedupe

Storeonce uses a multi-layed hashing schema that means the chance of hash collision is practically zero. As well as a SHA-1 hash other mechanisms are used to perform a series of checks so that what is hashed and written can be recovered.

Theoretically a Storeonce Dedupe store could span across 1.7PB and even with those numbers of hashes the maths and probability is on our side by a substantial margin.

1. nighto

google: Your search - "multilayed hashing schema" - did not match any documents.

@andysparkes : Maybe you are marketing guy used to flashy works.... or not.

WTF is a "multilayed hashing schema" ?

1. andysparkes

Re: google: Your search - "multilayed hashing schema" - did not match any documents.

I can assure you that I'm not a marketing guy.... I guess what I was trying to say was that you can hash at one level of chunks and then a combination of chunks or their associated metadata can also be hashed. Techniques like this can be used to provide another layer of protection against any theoretical hash collision.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like