back to article Sealed with an XSS: I gave TweetDeck a heart attack, says teen comp sci boff Firo

A teenager claims to have been the source of the embarrassing TweetDeck security gaffe that was exposed to millions of Twitter users on Wednesday. The 19-year-old "small, strange but cuddly" Austrian electronics and computer science student - whose handle on the micro-blogging site is Firo Xl - said that he spotted a very …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Irongut

Rewrite the whole code

Problem is they'd probably introduce even more issues.

2. Spender

"Let's see what time brings us."

A court summons?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: "Let's see what time brings us."

Jail time...

3. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

BBC

They are breaking their charter because they constantly promote the Proprietary, pointless and COMMERCIAL 3rd party Facebook and Twitter.

1. Valeyard

Re: BBC

I complained about that on those very grounds a few years back, citing how every BBC news article at the time had 1-2 final paragraphs of twitter-user reactions, and my complaint was knocked back

To be fair though they seem to have knocked that on the head for the most part, it was very annoying

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They are still promoting Facebook - every day on almost every popular music programme - particularly on R2

"to see the viral video of the day go our facebook page and click 'Like'"

"contact us on our facebook page and click 'Like'"

and various versions of those.

Slightly different topic.

I like entering competitions (and I've had a number of sizeable wins over the years - 3 holidays abroad, cash, goods and services etc) but the current trend of making a competition entry only via a Like button on a facebook page is stopping me entering any more. (pPlus I would image that the chances of winning are dramatically reduced.)

2. Tom 38

TBH most journos these days seem to think that "newsworthy" means either "people talking about it on twitter" or "people unable to talk on twitter", it isn't just a BBC thing.

2. Tom 38

I don't think this breaks their charter, as they offer all the "popular" social networks. If they just had facebook maybe you would have a point, but they always offer facebook, twitter, delicious, digg, reddit, g+, linkedin and stumbleupon. No MySpace though, or "other social networks are available".

Similarly, they don't have to give all political parties time for party political broadcasts, just the popular ones.

1. Valeyard

what's annoying (not just bbc)

"here's john smith in Iraq, tell us what's happening john"

then there's poor john, with the label under him "John Smith", and under that, where there was formally the prestigious much coveted title of "war correspondent" is now "@johnsmith69"

maybe it was itv, but every newscaster, correspondent and weather man was introduced with a twitter id, and i bet they're forced to update them

4. David Nash Silver badge

the BBC went through a period of saying "social media" instead of Twitter, Facebook etc. recently, at least on R2. They seemed to have changed their mind though and gone back to mentioning the names of the services. TBH it did seem a bit pointless when everyone knew what they wanted to say.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for an extradition trip to Gitmo on terrorism charges...

.... plus some bonus years in joliet for hacking and computer misuse. Add the civil charges seeking costs for the damage he caused, he will be broke for life, criminalised and unemployable by the time the US 'justice' system have finished with him.

6. Martin-73 Silver badge

So err, what, in layperson's terms, IS this 'twatdeck' ?

I have googled, and found the wackypedia article, which was not illuminating. It merely buzzworded me. Apparently it features 'columns'. Which immediately made me think of excel. Does it do something that, yknow, going to twitter.com doesn't?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like