back to article FLYING SAUCER 'designed for Mars atmosphere' in Pacific US military base

NASA reckons the weather in Hawaii is looking vaguely hopeful for the launch later today of its Low Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) - the flying saucer ballocket mission designed to test inflatable deceleration airbags for possible deployment on future Mars landings. The agency slapped a photo up on Twitter yesterday …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Our calculation suggest...

Our calculations suggest the unit would easily allow a plucky Playmonaut to slip the surly bonds of Earth and then some.

Yes, but where are you going to find a tree big enough for it to get tangled up in when it does come down? Still at least if it came down in the drink you'd have a chance of finding it.

In fond memory of our heroic and sadly missed pioneer...

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Our calculation suggest...

Presumably on some other planet. Too, I am not so sure about what went on with the previous Playmonaut. I suspect he faked his own death and is enjoying a life of peace and relaxation somewhere out of the public's eye.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Our calculation suggest...

I'm not sure that's possible. Playmonauts have rigid arms (no elbows), and are therefore unable to paddle a canoe.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

And another bust...

Cancelled for today too. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/tdm/ldsd/

3. detritus

I trust 963,000m³ of helium isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, given our increasingly limited stocks of the stuff...? Anyone know why they don't just use hydrogen?

Would make for a nice stratospheric WHUMP! when the rocket ignites...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Stock is getting limited because the US is dumping its reserves. We're not actually running out (yet).

I think the use of hydrogen for a project of this magnitude has to do with the cost of failure/premature ignition. Eliminating a hydrogen explosion as a factor is probably a big one in an FMEA.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Truth Is Out Here

I can imagine Martian teenagers with posters containing the 'mysterious alien symbols' 9, 11, 12 and JPL. I hope they have their cameras ready.

By the way, do we have a grappling hook on the craft to abduct the Martians and stick probes up their bottoms?

5. Ben Rosenthal

And how exactly do they plan on avoiding the chrono-synclastic infundibulum?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like