back to article Swiftkey: We just want to be free - Apple didn't bump us

The British creators of a smart-typing app called SwiftKey have denied the decision to give it away for free was inspired by Apple's announcement of its own keyboard software. London-based SwiftKey has cut the cost of its app from £1.49 to nothing, relying on a freemium model to help bring home the bacon. Apple recently threw …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Apple - We support and embrace competitive practices with apps,... until we offer a product, then any similar apps are banned.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ermmm...It's the other way around if you read the article.

1. ThomH

Does that sort of comment usually come from the sort of people that actually read the articles? It had Apple in the title: that's reading it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple: Building an empire on a foundation made from the ground up bones of app developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not like this sort of thing should come as a surprise clear out of the blue.

If you build Angry Birds I think you can assume your business model is pretty safe from Apple. I doubt Apple will include Angry Birds functionality in the next iOS release.

But if you decide to compete directly with Apple with a keyboard product (guess what, Apple made a touch keyboard way before any iOS app developer) then it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if they decide to compete back.

Anybody who can't predict this sort of thing shouldn't be in business in the first place.

3. Gordon 10
    FAIL

Commentard Fail

Interesting no-one mentions that Google have being doing exactly the same as Apple on android for years.

The stock keyboard on my Nexus 5 does Swype style typing out of the box.

Apparently "one faceless corp does same as another faceless corp" doesnt play well to the biases of the more bigoted of the commentard zealots on here.

1. Ted Treen
      Pirate

Re: Commentard Fail

Don't knock their bigoted ranting:- at least it keeps 'em off the streets and out of harm's way...

1. Richard Plinston

> at least it keeps 'em off the streets

You do understand the concept of 'mobile' don't you ?

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

You do know that it is possible to post snide comments from mobile devices, right?

edit: Damn, Richard beat me to it. Good job, Richard.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Interesting no-one mentions that Google have being doing exactly the same as Apple on android for years.

The stock keyboard on my Nexus 5 does Swype style typing out of the box"

The difference being that Google has always allowed the likes of Swype in its store, even when their own stock keyboard was nowhere near as good, whereas Apple has banned them until its own product could match their functionality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The difference being that Google has always allowed the likes of Swype in its store, even when their own stock keyboard was nowhere near as good, whereas Apple has banned them until its own product could match their functionality."

Allowing 3rd party keyboards is a feature. Google had to do work to allow this. Apple didn't do that work. That doesn't mean they "banned" 3rd party keyboards, they just didn't do any work to support them.

I don't have a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean I'm banning myself from having a Ferrari.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hate predictions

I've used Google's predictive keyboard on Android and don't see the point. By the time I've distracted myself scanning the list of predictions, recognize that one matches what I'm trying to type, and gotten my finger out of the muscle-memory flow of pressing keys in order to tap on the prediction, I could have just typed the word I wanted.

While I'm at it, I also hate swiping to type. I type with two hands (well, fingers) and feel ridiculous if I'm reduced to "typing" with one finger by dragging it [sometimes relatively long distances] around a keyboard. It's definitely slower for me.

I wonder if Apple has done any studies about how much this sort of stuff actually helps users type vs. how much users assume it helps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simple: hold to insert special characters

Have you ever had to type # or £ or = or + or - or anything like that on Android? Do you hate flipping through the pages of special keys to find them? Don't you wish you could get to it just by holding down a letter key on the regular keyboard for a fraction of a second longer than normal?

You need SwiftKey.

2. revdjenk

Re: Hate predictions

If you are trying to use flow/swipe on a BIG virtual keyboard, you are doing it wrong. Swiftkey offers smaller, undocked keyboards. The Swiftkey keyboard I use on my 9" Android tablet is merely 3cm x 5cm, and is extremely fast to use with flow.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You mean

There are apps out on Android that aren't out yet on iOS? Reading the internet told me a very different story.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes Yes Yes

They may not have had a choice: Google ripped Swype off something shocking with the default Android keyboard (and keeps changing the default keyboard back to it on my Nexus 4) and now Apple are throwing money at predictive keyboards too. They must have to keep the cost of entry to zero to tempt people to take a look.

But SwiftKey is just amazing: I will install it the second it launches on iOS. If you can't stand flipping through THREE SCREENS just to find underscore you will love it.

7. Slx

My only concern about 3rd party keyboards is that you've a lot of potential for keyloggers.

While Swiftkey and others are highly reputable and trustworthy, it wouldn't be to hard to imagine rogue keyboards being an issue.

1. ThomH

On iOS third-party keyboards are not permitted network access unless the user explicitly allows it. So it should be easy to avoid key loggers.

8. Andrew A

"hundreds of thousands" of paying customers have already flocked on to the Swiftkey store

Yes, we have, but only because Swiftkey told us that as paying customers, we could have some themes for free. Not the same thing as SELLING a bunch of themes though is it?

9. poohbear

Not entirely free

The much-vaunted 'free themes' are not entirely free ... you need to register for their Cloudy service, which means giving them some details about you... typically via your Google account (on Android at least).

1. Tommy Pock

Re: Not entirely free

I'm not bothered about that - everyone has a dummy gmail account they use for signing to websites, don't they?

-Tommy (not my real name)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not entirely free

Yes, I do, but the Google Play Store won't let me in.

Sincerely,

Sammy Suuuung

10. Qu Dawei

Handling Chinese?

Until it can handle Chinese and some of its input methods (for myself, preferably pinyin), then they can forget it!

11. ukgnome
    Unhappy

My fingers are too fat for swipe keyboards, and my accent too northern for talk to type apps.

I need a P.A.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like