back to article Pictures of elite 'Chinese military hacker' published

American security bods have unmasked a shady state-sponsored Chinese hacking group dubbed Putter Panda. Analysts at Crowdstrike traced the shadowy group to an address in Shanghai, and even outed its alleged leader. The research firm claimed a 35-year-old bloke known online as "cpyy" registered domain names to which Putter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Terminator

Putter Panda does not pander!

"decade-long economic espionage campaign that is massive and unrelenting"

"Flesh over a metal endoskeleton. It cannot be reasoned with or bargained with. And it drinks vodka."

2. i like crisps
    Thumb Up

If only we could give you a "upvote" El Reg.

You deserve one for that Headline.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

"The United States cannot pretend that it is the victim."

Yeah... but that doesn't stop them from trying...

4. Steve Knox
    Facepalm

There is not one crime here.

"The United States cannot pretend that it is the victim. They are a hacker empire. I think everyone in the world knows this," spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

Nor is there one victim. The US is a victim; so is China; both are also perpetrators.

"Georgie did it first!" "Xi did it worst!" is banter that shouldn't come out of the mouths of anyone over ten years old, yet this is where our governments are in their moral development.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There is not one crime here.

And you are surprised our govs act like 5 years old because ...?

2. Bucky 2

Re: There is not one crime here.

"this is where our governments are in their moral development."

The very sad thing here is that, with our democratically-elected government, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

5. Derpity
    Coat

"The United States cannot pretend that it is the victim. They are a hacker empire. I think everyone in the world knows this," spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

Surely two Wongs don't make a right...

1. Beau
      Pint

Wongs or wrongs?

Wongs or wrongs? But you are right, sadly so many governments and silly religions seem to think two wrongs do make a right.

I wonder is that just sad, or stupid as well?

Beer icon, well it's late, good night.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's a mature line for you...

Fuck China!

7. MondoMan
    Headmaster

Khakis?

I had always thought "khaki" was a tan color, not the dark green color in the photo. That looks like olive drab to me.

1. Bucky 2

Re: Khakis?

"Khaki," like "teal," applies to an unfortunately wide range of colors.

Like you, I also tend to prefer color names that are a little more specific.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First Unit 61398 get the PR via Mandiant, now Unit 61486 takes it's turn, let's see if the other 10 (currently) identified Units within Third Department (3PLA) get a shot at a Reg headline as well. If they do, expect the associated elements (with similar tasking) of 2PLA and 4PLA to grumble. ;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me get this straight:

The US have been shown to operate (via infiltration) most of the routers in the world.

Following this, we are supposed to believe that the attacks originate in China?

I'm confused.

10. Grass Mud Horse
    Angel

vodka

That 'vodka' is 56% (112 proof) 'ergo tou', the Beijing worker's booze, made from sorghum ('gao liang' - watch Zhang Yimou's movie for its effect :-)). Tastes like bad grappa, cost around 2EUR/L (!).

Worker's paradise...

11. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Feels a bit like a false flag op. You'd think a professional hacker would be better at social engineering bits.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like