back to article Frikkin' laser beams on its head: Formlabs announces Form 1+

In the world of 3D printers, the pricey Form 1 is the equivalent of a Mac in a PC-dominated realm. Owners of the original Form 1 printer are now being offered a $749 (€599) factory upgrade where the printer is taken back to base and has a new laser, peel motor, driver board and other components fitted. The vast majority of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zot

Will it be available in £s?

We lose £300 by being forced to buy it in Euros.

1. 2460 Something

Re: Will it be available in £s?

Of course. I should note however that due to the erm .. furgle and erm .. something else we make up ... heck who are we kidding. Look we are just going to add an extra £500 on top. Deal with it.

1. Zimmer
        Joke

...simply exchange the Dollar sign for a Pound sign. It's known as foreign exchange when it comes to pricing for the UK. Perhaps the Scots will get them cheaper after independence and we can all go smuggle cheaper IT goods in white vans via Gretna Green....

(Joke icon. However, I guess it's only the suppliers who are laughing... :( )

1. Zot

A Scottish border smuggling organisation? I like the sound of it.

It looks like the site forces you down the Euro route if you're in the UK though.

What's the point of having strong pound if you can never use it! Ha-ha.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

Upgrade - Rest of tech world take note!

It's great to see that existing owners are being supported with an upgrade to the new specification; and it doesn't seem to be at a rip-off price either, given the original three grand price-tag.

I know that it's not always practical to build in upgrade-ability but a lot of modern equipment doesn't even seem to be repairable let alone upgradeable.

3. Suricou Raven

It's nice, but one missing feature.

Where are the cheap chinese knock-off refills?

A thing like this is a long-term investment. That means I'd want to see many manufacturers competing to provide the resin. This isn't just to drive down prices, but also an assurance that even of the manufacturer goes bankrupt in a few years or shuts down production of resin in order to drive people to a newer successor product there will still be a supply of refills.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: It's nice, but one missing feature.

>Where are the cheap chinese knock-off refills? ... That means I'd want to see many manufacturers competing to provide the resin.

It would appear that they do. More information is here, evidently gleaned from hobbyist forums:

http://hackaday.com/2013/10/09/3d-printering-you-want-uv-resin/

1. Suricou Raven

Re: It's nice, but one missing feature.

Well, I'm sold. But I'll hold off until the price falls - I'm having quite enough fun with my cheap-but-effective K8200. The print quality isn't the best, but it'll do.

4. ukgnome

erm it's all well and good but...

Can it print me a tasty cake?

1. Suricou Raven

Re: erm it's all well and good but...

No, but the FDM printers can. Working with exotic materials is rather fiddly, but people have managed to get them printing sugar paste. Load one up with cake mix and put a hot air gun on the end and it should be doable.

1. Zot

Re: erm it's all well and good but...

"Load up with cake mix..." - and then lay-down with your head under it and your mouth open, and go.

"aaaah, om-nom-nom, aaaaah, om-nom-nom-nom"

Sorry, being silly.

This topic is closed for new posts.