back to article Alienware says it WILL ship a Steam Machine in 2014 – running Windows

High-end gaming PC vendor Alienware says it will still put out a Steam Machine console this year, even if it can't ship it with Valve's vaunted mega-controller – and it won't arrive running SteamOS. The Dell division's console, now officially dubbed the Alienware Alpha, still looks very much like the design that was revealed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If at first you do not succeed

Try another wad of cash from the Marketing Budget.

Let me guess, Dell operating model has not changed. What went on with Intel in the mid-90es repeats itself.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Serious Faux pas

If it runs MS Excel or Word natively then it definately should not be called a Steam Machine.

How would this really differ from my W7 + Steam Client machine, let me guess the version number.

1. stucs201

Re: how would this really differ

"a custom software interface exclusive to Alienware"

in other words extra crapware?

1. Boothy

Re: how would this really differ

Or they just figured out how to use the build in Steam skinning options.

I like PixelVision myself :-)

3. Goat Jam

Breaking News

Alienware to release Windows PC. Comes with Steam pre-installed.

1. lurker

Re: Breaking News

Yup, Alienware are overpriced anyway, so I guess adding the 'windows tax' into the equation won't make a huge difference.. they'll still be expensive, but people will buy them anyway because they don't really know any better and they have pretty adverts and the dell brand behind them.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: Breaking News

"Alienware to release Windows PC. Comes with Steam pre-installed."

And only for a 35.00 quid fee for doing so.

4. Teiwaz

How would this really differ - from an Xbox

"a custom software interface exclusive to Alienware" that the company says will make the system's UI fully navigable without a keyboard or mouse.

Wahhh, really innovative, so was/is any console that doesn't just boot straight to the game (how I miss those consoles).

Of course, I'm assuming that by 'without keyboard or mouse' they mean the controller, and not 'thought control'. Nope, no mention of any microphones or cameras.

If you close your eyes and wish really hard, the Dell fairies will load your chosen game for you, remember to put out a saucer of milk before you go to bed...

1. Shane Sturrock

Re: How would this really differ - from an Xbox

I have a Windows box for gaming and an Xbox 360 controller is OK in big picture but too many games don't support it or only partially support it so you can't really get away from needing a keyboard and mouse attached. The benefit of the Steam controller was that it could replace the keyboard and mouse for games that didn't support a console controller. This thing is a rather underspec Windows box with all the attendant baggage. I wouldn't give it a space under my TV without the Steam controller.

5. RAMChYLD

Whats wrong with...

... just slapping SteamOS onto the thing and still bundling an Xbox controller with it? Last I checked the Xbox controller has excellent support in Linux.

1. iniudan

Re: Whats wrong with...

I'm pretty sure you need Valve permission for commercial distribution of Steam client and since the Steam client is part of SteamOS, you can easily deduce that if they consider it's not ready, they are not gonna let's anyone do commercial use of it.

2. El Andy

Re: Whats wrong with...

Well for one thing, SteamOS doesn't let you play as many games. Kind of crucial for a games machine.

6. Rabbit80

In other news

Civilization V is now available for SteamOS :D

1. AceRimmer
      Facepalm

Re: In other news

Only 4 years after Windows :D :D

Hardly a reason to celebrate is it! Lack of games (that I want to actually play) on Linux is the only reason I need to run GRUB and Windows

7. simgray

Always the same problem

Always the same problem - more games available for Windows than Linux. I'm a linux fan and user, but I can see the sense of this. A big shame for linux though!

8. Hans 1

>There are more than 3,200 games available on Steam right now, but only around 500 of them currently run on Linux.

500 ? Not that bad, actually. Will need to have a look. You must consider that they have the issue of the window cleaner brigade writing game engines that use proprietary Directx crap instead of the widely adopted and supported OpenGL. Result: the Mac/Linux/FreeBSD versions, if they exist, rely on cider or some other Chardonnay emulator and there are no native versions.

One day, the game houses that are not "sponsored" by Redmond will use the one and true OpenGL and that day will be a great day for the gaming community at large. Even Android, iOS etc have an OpenGL implementation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A good move

Given the shaky foundations that SteamOS is built on (with the very poor support for modern graphics cards, gaming peripherals, video streaming etc) it makes perfect sense to move over to an more flexible platform.

Now consumers will be able to enjoy the full power of their system, and the vast number of games on Steam (not just the handful ported over). They also be able to stream Netflix etc; something that simply isn't going to be possible on SteamOS. It will also happily consume their current networked sources and not require deep, arcane knowledge of text files and command prompts.

A few might be sobbing into their neckbeard, but I think that those with a clear head can see that SteamOS was little more that a business-play to get some PR and perhaps leverage on MS.

1. JustNiz

Re: A good move

wow what a windows troll. How much are Microsoft paying you to write this crap?

>> Given the shaky foundations that SteamOS is built on

Linux shaky? lol what are you smoking? especially when compared to windows.

>> (with the very poor support for modern graphics cards, gaming peripherals, video streaming etc)

Where are you getting this from? Its not even close to true. Not only do intel, nVidIa and ATI all make linux drivers that support ALL their graphics hardware (especially the most recent), but many if not most games etc actually run faster/smoother on Linux than windows.

>> it makes perfect sense to move over to an more flexible platform.

Yes it does, thats exactly why most people with an actual clue have already left windows behind.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A good move

"Yes it does, thats exactly why most people with an actual clue have already left windows behind."

All 0.4% of them. Meanwhile everyone just gets on with their work rather than hacking text files from a command prompt.

10. Archibear

Dell/Alienware have preinstalled Steam as an option on their Alienware kit for ages - don't see how this is much more that a bit of skinning over the vanilla client plus a bundled controller really.

11. auburnman
    Trollface

A whole TWO USB ports? I don't know if I'm ready for such opulence.

1. Colin Ritchie
      Windows

2 USB ports?

If you wander over to sites with a rear view of the Alpha you will find another 4 USB on the back.

Not as useful as front mounted ones granted.

Having looked at an X51 and its paltry 330w PSU trying to drive an i5 and a GTX660 (it runs dry eventually) I wouldn't recommend a Dellienware to anyone. How the mighty fall.

12. Fading
    Trollface

Over priced and underpowered

So should fit in nicely with the rest of Alienware's range.........

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not unexpected

SteamOS relies on support from game publishers. If they don't support it well enough, the best Linux-based idea won't help to solve the issue. Can't say this was unexpected.

Gaming is fun for consumers, but business for publishers. No game publisher will make a port, because they love the game so much or care about their customers. They are in it for the money. (With very few indie exceptions.)

14. Rick Giles
    Linux

Nope

I won't be adding to Windows 'shipped' numbers.

15. Rick Brasche

so in other words,

it's a box you could build yourself for less, except with user controlled multicolored lighting. And zero upgrade path?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like