back to article TalkTalk whips BT with riding crop over sport fibs in telly ad

Budget telco TalkTalk - whose boss Dido Harding probably knows a thing or two about sportsmanship having once competed as a jockey - has successfully challenged a BT advert for misleading television viewers. The Advertising Standards Authority upheld the company's complaint against an ad for BT Sport that featured presenter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems a bit OTT (if quite correct)

Certainly, when BT sales call you up, to try and flog broadband, they're clear enough that they need your Sky card number.

1. Tom 38
      WTF?

Re: Seems a bit OTT (if quite correct)

Which has fuck all to do with whether the advert is misleading or not.

2. BenR

The Watchdog is wrong too

You can also get it for 'free' through Virgin Media TV.

Although if you get it through such a source, then you can't use the BTSport app or watch online, as you are required to have a BTInternet account to do so.

(Although you CAN watch it online through the Virgin Media TV portal / phone app.)

1. Test Man

Re: The Watchdog is wrong too

And through the BT Sport app in conjunction with a Chromecast.

It doesn't matter though, as the watchdog wasn't wrong - the point still stands - BT didn't make it clear enough and it's for THIS reason why the watchdog came down on BT and their ad.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You can also get it for 'free' through Virgin Media TV."

You mean it's bundled, and you are paying for it? I have Virgin broadband, but I've no access to BT sport channels because I don't buy a TV package. Not that I want to watch knuckledraggers kicking a ball around a manicured field anyway.

1. Tiny Iota
        Trollface

What have you got against lawnmowers?

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I'm shocked

Shocked, I tell you! This is totally out of character!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Here is an idea......

...instead of all these ISP's squabbling over who's willy is biggest, or said what to who........

IMPROVE YOUR SHIT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

5. chris 17 Silver badge

So this add wasn't clear enough (was to me but i don't have a business that i want to show BT sport in) but offering unlimited stuff that has an ever decreasing limit mentioned in some small print is perfectly fine? And delivering broadband over coax can be marketed as fibre broadband?

I'm glad the regulators are finally sharpening their pencils, hopefully they'll start tackling the proper ludicrous claims we punters have to put up with like insurances that don't cover you despite intimating it will.

6. Cynical Shopper

Fear the power of the mighty ASA

Naughty advertiser, now don't do it again

1. Toothpick

Re: Fear the power of the mighty ASA

+1. They are about as useful as a chocolate chisel. Or OFGEM.

1. Stratman

"They are about as useful as a chocolate chisel. Or OFGEM."

Or the Telephone Preference Service and its junk mail equivalent.

Useless the lot of 'em.

2. P. Lee

For the big boys, make them pay for an ASA provided correction notice to be played at the same times of day and for the same duration as the original ad.

7. Visionman

Thats about thirteen adverts in the last 12 mths the ASA has come down on. This BT one (plus 2 others). The last one was TalkTalk (plus 2 others), followed by Virgin Media (3) and Sky (4). Naughty boys...

8. Terry Cloth
    Flame

Time to define `free' in commercial speech

I'd really like to see a law that if you say something's free, you have to give one to anyone who shows up & says ``I'll take it.''

Everything else can only be described as ``included in the price when you buy Y'' if a purchase is required; or you must specify the non-monetary payment (your mother's maiden name, your right nut, whatever).

1. Joseba4242

Re: Time to define `free' in commercial speech

"free cash withdrawal" comes to mind

9. asdf

damn reg

Hey El Reg want me to read an article put a scantily clad model image for it instead of a pile of animal shit. I have no idea what this article is about.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like