back to article HP has Chromeboxes with Intel Core i7 chips, but they'll cost you

HP has started taking orders for its new line of Chromeboxes, but while some carry the low price tags we've come to expect from Chrome OS devices, others are surprisingly expensive. Intel spilled the beans last September that hardware makers would be offering desktop Chrome OS kit with Haswell processors this year, and Asus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Meh

About the same price as a Gigabyte Brix, Zotac or any other Intel NUC format machine - all of which you know will run Windows/Linux and have driver support.

A chromebook (aka tablet with a keyboard) or a chromestick makes sense - but these ??>

2. Tapeador

Why?

It's like putting a twin-turbo V8 in a milkfloat and leaving the 15mph speed limiter on.

1. Down not across

Re: Why?

Now you've dunnit ...I have this image of a milkfloat with small block V8 in it....

3. Mikel

What the?

Leave it to HP to think out of the box and come out with a Chromebox that is expensive.

But wait. These might be interesting with Linux on.

1. Craigness

Re: What the?

I've heard many people say the same thing, but there are better mini-desktops to put Linux on, like the NUC mentioned in the first comment. Furthermore, a NUC with XBMC etc is better as a HTPC, a Chromebase would be better choice for a public terminal in a library, and a Chromebook is a better all-round option for the home unless you have a *tiny* desk.

I think HP are just using the Chromebox brand name as a marketing gimmic to sell to people who want a small Linux desktop and haven't heard of the NUC, Gigabyte Brix and other products.

4. Big_Ted

One of the more stupid ideas

To say the least an i7 is massive overkill, chromeOS does not need so much cpu power, its would make more sense to buy one of these and a laptop or top range chromebook. Hell for the money you could have this and a laptop/tablet combo running windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One of the more stupid ideas

"Hell for the money you could have this and a laptop/tablet combo running windows."

"Hell! You could have a laptop/tablet combo running windows." -fixed

5. jason 7

Chrome devices.

Are not 'essentially useless' without a internet connection.

Many of the functions still work in some way. In this modern age many devices other than Chromebooks/boxes are a bit limited without a internet connection.

However, quite why you would pay that much for a Chrome device I don't know.

It's a bit like taking a Bic Biro, maybe putting Quink ink in it and selling it for £75.

6. D@v3

useless without an internet connection (or not)

While I can see how that could be with a laptop (chromebook) but with one of these, while small, the need for KVM means you're unlikely to be moving it around much, and therefore (unless your broadband drops out) are going to be statically connected to a network.

You're not going to be worrying about being in a coffee shop or train with no free wifi.

1. NotWorkAdmin

Re: useless without an internet connection (or not)

My thoughts exactly. I used to use PC's with no internet (when it didn't exist for example) but these days if I'm offline (frequent enough - Virgin Media) it's time to take the dog for a walk. If there's no net in the office it's cheaper to send everyone home than try and find something for them to do.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like