back to article Bank of England plans to shove cyber-microscope up nation's bankers

The Bank of England today announced it plans to penetrate Blighty’s banks to test the security of their critical computer systems. Speaking to the British Bankers’ Association, the BoE's exec director of resolution, Andrew Gracie launched CBEST [PDF], a new defence-testing programme that mimics crims who attack crucial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. WalterAlter

Banks are all the evil that exists in the World

Banks are all the evil that exists in the World.

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: Banks are all the evil that exists in the World

Grow up you child.

Or alternatively shut down all your accounts, hand your house back and go and live on the streets somewhere.

On a more relevant note - I would question how closely the threat models are between say something like Zeus compared to what a state actor would employ which presumably is where most of the "govt" expertise lies. Besides how can we trust GCHQ and friends not to game the tests to weaken defenses in an area they are most interested it.

The bigger threat imo is espionage at a bank - not a massive money slurp.

1. A A

Gordon 10 "Grow up you child."

Just because his statement is simplistic is no reason to insult him. Banks of late do seem to have caused a lot of trouble and don't seem to be accountable for it.

While I do not necessarily avoid them, I have no need of bank, and that is a good thing. Assuming I could make my employer pay me by check drawn on a local bank I could have no interactions with any bank.

I guess that is the point of saying they are evil, we are forced to use them and other things we might not want to use, for someone else's profit. That makes us dependent on people or institutions that we might not want to be dependent on, or maybe shouldn't be dependent on.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Assuming I could make my employer pay me by check drawn on a local bank I could have no interactions with any bank."

How does that work then?

2. Hollerith 1

I think you'll find that someone once said 'the love of money is the root of all evil'. Banks are just a way of exchanging, lending and storing money. They are no more evil than our wallets, unless we allow them to be.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"bring together the NSA and individual firms and place them in a controlled environment"

TFTFY

</psychoparanoid MODE=OFF>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Notification?

Are the institutions going to receive a heads up, which invalidates some of the information, or do they get no notice in which case a "false alarm" is generated with all that entails. Should be fun to watch from the outside. [I thought this illegal under your laws. Nice to see I was wrong.]

4. jcpw
    Mushroom

Microscope?

Sounds more like an Endoscope to me. So would that be, erm, more of a tails up than a heads up?

This topic is closed for new posts.