back to article Docker blasts into 1.0, throwing dust onto traditional hypervisors

"Some of you guys I've never met in person but we've spent entire nights fixing bugs together," said Docker creator Solomon Sykes on Monday, moments before the open source technology went into its 1.0 release. It's been a strange journey for the Linux containerization technology, whose rise has been distinguished by both the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Motility

When do they start travelling cluster to cluster/data-center to dc under some programmed criteria? That should be fun!

2. Adam Inistrator

More a VVM really.

It virtualises the local kernel not the local hardware so it is more a virtual virtual machine. Cant run another OS though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still don't get it

What does docker give that the plain LXC tools don't?

1. Richard 33

Re: Still don't get it

Docker is basically LXC (aka chroot on steroids). However it does have a fast git-like way to tag, build and share containers, so I would say the advantage is mainly in ease of use.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not convinced

As a sysadmin this sounds nice to me in theory, but as a programmer I'm afraid it will usher in a new era of platform dependence.

...as in "This website is only known to run on CentOS 5 (i386) with PHP 5.2, Python 2.1, Ruby 1.8.42, MySQL 5.1, and OpenSSL 1.0.1d"..... what could possibly go wrong?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like