back to article AMD grabs for the data centre with low-power server chip

AMD today launched low power quad-core Opteron processors for the x86 server market, once again playing catch-up with Intel. The chip maker said that the high efficiency (HE) processors have a thermal envelope of 55 watts. That compares to the company’s other quad-core server chips that clock higher thermal envelopes of 105 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg

I was wondering when they were turning up

As the title implies, I was wondering when AMD would get around to a HE release. There were HE chips in the 200 and 800 series, after all. Unfortunately, I couldn't get hold of any at the time I built my rig, so I'm running the full fat 270s (with a couple of SI-128 heatsinks - they're not overheating any time soon!).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

And the cost will be ?

Let me guess ~£100 per CPU more than the non low voltage option. Thus making the LV chips a token gesture for companies rather than a real option.

Spend the bucks on planting trees.

3. E

Clocks?

Very nice article but what are the clock speeds?

4. Julian

AMD improving non-HE power specs?

Your article says: "The chip maker said that the high efficiency (HE) processors have a thermal envelope of 55 watts. That compares to the company’s other quad-core server chips that clock higher thermal envelopes of 105 watts or 75 watts."

Is that really correct? Is that a quote from the AMD release? If so then that "105W or 75W" statement is pretty significant news in itself because I thought the existing Barcelona (Phenom X4) CPUs were 125W (e.g. the 9850) or 95W (e.g. the 9650) and of course there's the 9750 wierdness where the retail version is rated at 125W and the OEM version at 95W.

Have AMD really reduced the power requirements on the non-HE lineup as well?

5. stizzleswick
    Thumb Up

Re: And the cost will be...

Given the impact on the electricity bill, that higher cost may well be acceptable... and I'll plant a few shrubberies just for good measure.

6. jeanl

multicore hype

AS general usage server rather than scientific research involve massive calculation's, any server more than 8 cores is a waste as in Desktop PC, since the applications and OS are origin written for mono or Duo, the excess cores have no extra house power. What we really need is work on the speed beyond 10 Ghz limits, Due core is more than sufficient with low power 10+ ghz cpu

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like